Archived RIP Backroom and SFS - Cyber Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! I’m 17 and been with Target a little over 1.5 years, but have only ever cashiered... until today! This morning I got called in to work “pick & pack” (or as I am starting to gather from this thread, “SFS”). I was trained briefly in both picking and packing, and have been trying to catch on as quickly as possible!

Backroom veterans have been very kind and patient, but my TL did a literal facepalm a couple of times at the work I did. I survived today, but I’m lined up for an 8-hour “cashiering” shift tomorrow... but knowing that I was conincidentally JUST trained on SFS, and that tomorrow’s basically going to be dead on the lanes but freakin’ crazy in the back, I have a sneaking suspicion I won’t be bagging many groceries.

So I guess my question is... anybody got any tips and tricks about how to be better at SFS (picking specifically)? Also, my trainer kinda glossed over the backstocking process, so I decided to skip that part instead of messing stuff up, and was ending up with half the store in my basket for just one batch... any help? Literally any advice at all will help so much! I’m just really trying to NOT be a burden to other Backroom-ers at this point. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hi all! I’m 17 and been with Target a little over 1.5 years, but have only ever cashiered... until today! This morning I got called in to work “pick & pack” (or as I am starting to gather from this thread, “SFS”). I was trained briefly in both picking and packing, and have been trying to catch on as quickly as possible!

Backroom veterans have been very kind and patient, but my TL did a literal facepalm a couple of times at the work I did. I survived today, but I’m lined up for an 8-hour “cashiering” shift tomorrow... but knowing that I was conincidentally JUST trained on SFS, and that tomorrow’s basically going to be dead on the lanes but freakin’ crazy in the back, I have a sneaking suspicion I won’t be bagging many groceries.

So I guess my question is... anybody got any tips and tricks about how to be better at SFS (picking specifically)? Also, my trainer kinda glossed over the backstocking process, so I decided to skip that part instead of messing stuff up, and was ending up with half the store in my basket for just one batch... any help? Literally any advice at all will help so much! I’m just really trying to NOT be a burden to other Backroom-ers at this point. Thanks!!

As far as picking just walking with a sense of urgency... If you come to a location and see no item look around the aisle.. you know how guest love to pick something up and drop it off down the aisle.

Also please do not scan the shelf.. Always scan the item it self.

I don't know how your store is doing it but I'm empowered my team that if there 100 percent sure items is not here...check around, partnered with area experts, looked on my work for last received and on hands then they can cancel...

If u pick off Floor and it ask for 6 but then tells u you scan 1 in to cart then 1 then 2 that means that multiple orders for that items so take all 6.

As far as backstock goes make sure you backstock and locate the items
-mywork, scan item,, click on item name to switch over to backroom mode, backstock in same location if located. If not find a location and backstock neatly with barcode facing out if possible... Most aisles are separated as followed.... Bottom 2 shelves as case stock for full items in boxes.... Next 2-3 shelves with wacos for open stock and then sometimes the 3rd or 4th shelf will also be designated as open stock for bulky items that don't fit in wacos. Ask backroom team members for there store specifics. They will be glad that you are trying to do it right. Backstocking it right away helps out in the long run cause someone else might get that item in a batch.

Last edited:
So instead of creating another Thread for Cyber Monday, I was curious to know how everyone's preparation for Cyber Monday is?
Prayers that UPS actually backs up an 18 wheeler in the dock for us. 12 pallets so far. Its not interfering with anything so far (more thanks to that revo 8 yrs ago that ended up doubling receiving so we have so spare space [yeah it shares it with the bike builder])

As far as picking just walking with a sense of urgency... If you come to a location and see no item look around the aisle.. you know how guest love to pick something up and drop it off down the aisle.

Also please do not scan the shelf.. Always scan the item it self.

I don't know how your store is doing it but I'm empowered my team that if there 100 percent sure items is not here...check around, partnered with area experts, looked on my work for last received and on hands then they can cancel...

If u pick off Floor and it ask for 6 but then tells u you scan 1 in to cart then 1 then 2 that means that multiple orders for that items so take all 6.

As far as backstock goes make sure you backstock and locate the items
-mywork, scan item,, click on item name to switch over to backroom mode, backstock in same location if located. If not find a location and backstock neatly with barcode facing out if possible... Most aisles are separated as followed.... Bottom 2 shelves as case stock for full items in boxes.... Next 2-3 shelves with wacos for open stock and then sometimes the 3rd or 4th shelf will also be designated as open stock for bulky items that don't fit in wacos. Ask backroom team members for there store specifics. They will be glad that you are trying to do it right. Backstocking it right away helps out in the long run cause someone else might get that item in a batch.
Yes please do this for backstocking. Also ask over the radio if you can't find something. Some people know where everything is.

If you are stopped by a guest do your best to help them fast. If you can pass them off to another TM. If you don't know what an item should be (like the charcoal yesterday) ask. Ours was parked in the steel and no one bothered to get it down because BF weekend peeps.
However, in Houston some people bbq on BF weekend so there you go.

Well I guess my store was lucky to be in a remodel phase when the whole Flex switched over to the EPicks. We made an entirely new stockroom just for the orders and instacart crap. We took over the photo lab to add this.

Highly disappointed the Apple Watch is excluded from the Cyber Monday deal and the 20% off coupon

I'm doing a SFS shift Wednesday and I suspect more in the coming week(s)

I've been glad to see almost 7 TMs at once in SFS packing orders. I've heard some stores leave it all up to 3-4 TMs if LODs and ETLs don't join in

We had 900+ SFS Orders on Black Friday that spilled over to the following day. Yesterday, we had 400+ orders for ship, and as we were finishing those, we had 100+ orders for the following day's ship by 12PM. 90% of HL and SL TMs and TLs were doing picks or packing. Our ETLs and some cashiers were packing. We had to use multiple shopping carts to pick. Literally no items on the floor or in the back (or they were lost because of Black Friday). Backroom and SFS was not prepared!

We are getting hammered. We have half a 53' Trailer, and about 75 Feet of Steel filled with SFS Orders.

With 400 more yet to be picked. I think our peak "to be picked" was around 700 throughout the day. I walked in at 4 am to ~500.

My store was forecasted 300 sfs orders yesterday and did 800. Our max is supposed to be 400, but that doesn't seem to matter. Had every LOD in the building packing yesterday.
Lol there is no max... if you complete your orders in a timely manner you are rewarded with more.

We are getting hammered. We have half a 53' Trailer, and about 75 Feet of Steel filled with SFS Orders.

With 400 more yet to be picked. I think our peak "to be picked" was around 700 throughout the day. I walked in at 4 am to ~500.
Are you still on the same trailer from Saturday? Ours was about 3/4 full this morning, but you probably have more orders than us.

I am just amazed you guys got a trailer.. Still waiting on that.. Pallets everywhere..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back