Archived Scanning IDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a guy come through last week, and he wouldn't let us even touch his ID. I'm not quite 18, so I needed to call my supervisor when I sold him the new Duke Nukem game. She asked to scan his ID to which he promptly replied "No. You can see it, but you ain't scannin' it" He told me that he doesn't even let people on our miltary base scan it to grant him entry.

Anyone else ever run into a guest with the same reaction to being carded?

I like how not only do people steal things and we KNOW they're stealing them... we get the "warnings that so-and-so is back," but we do absolutely NOTHING to stop them! My LOD had me go over to the vacuums and just kind of "walk around," because a guy got stole a Dyson vacuum... the damn thing had a spider wrap on it! Also, there's always video games being stolen... when we zone Seasonal, which as of course right now is Halloween aka TOTAL CLUSTER F**** LAND!... we always find the stolen video game cases hidden among the mess of costumes.

I like how not only do people steal things and we KNOW they're stealing them... we get the "warnings that so-and-so is back," but we do absolutely NOTHING to stop them! My LOD had me go over to the vacuums and just kind of "walk around," because a guy got stole a Dyson vacuum... the damn thing had a spider wrap on it! Also, there's always video games being stolen... when we zone Seasonal, which as of course right now is Halloween aka TOTAL CLUSTER F**** LAND!... we always find the stolen video game cases hidden among the mess of costumes.

Where is your store AP during any of this?

Last edited:
When every I see someone walking up to me with a Ron Paul shirt, the only thing I can think of is "Please don't have Ny-quil in your cart"

We don't have one... All they said was they watch from Minnesota. Apparently we haven't had enough "incidences" that merits AP. Nice, right?

Wow...

I know there are stores that have one AP person that come in for like 20 hours a week, but it's very rare for a store to have no AP at all.

Wow...

I know there are stores that have one AP person that come in for like 20 hours a week, but it's very rare for a store to have no AP at all.

well we're not really in a big area... so they just don't care about us. we're all the way up north, where apparently they don't give a ****! LOL

I get a few guests occasionally who either seem perplexed about having to scan their ID or don't want us to at all...one guest in particular who has been in many times, knows the procedure, has been explained to that we don't steal their info, but still doesn't want their ID scanned...so I have to call a supervisor because I have to key in their birthdate...no skin off my ass, you're the one who has to wait longer....

We don't have one... All they said was they watch from Minnesota. Apparently we haven't had enough "incidences" that merits AP. Nice, right?

Wow...

It's possible Potsdamgraduate might work in an APL-only store which might be in the market for a new APL.

I went to a different store than the one I work at and bought a rated M game. The cashier just asked me for my date of birth, didn't even get prompted to scan my ID. Is this a store-level decision?

I went to a different store than the one I work at and bought a rated M game. The cashier just asked me for my date of birth, didn't even get prompted to scan my ID. Is this a store-level decision?

There must have been a prompt or she wouldn't have asked for your birthdate. GSAs and above have supervisor numbers and can enter a birthdate without needing to swipe and ID or get an override to accept a handkeyed date so that must be what happened.

There must have been a prompt or she wouldn't have asked for your birthdate. GSAs and above have supervisor numbers and can enter a birthdate without needing to swipe and ID or get an override to accept a handkeyed date so that must be what happened.

Any "brand TM" role including softlines, cosmetics, or electronics can be keyed as a "Supervisor" status in the POS. If you bought the game in electronics, it's a good bet they were an elec brand TM, or a TL covering a break and simply recognized you were over the age of 18.

I wonder if an employee bought some beer at Target for someone else (did not used employee discount and paid cash), would Target still know when he gets his ID scanned?

I wonder if an employee bought some beer at Target for someone else (did not used employee discount and paid cash), would Target still know when he gets his ID scanned?

POS never logs ID information except when processing a receipt-less return, or when a guest purchases sudafed at the pharmacy. When you scan a ID for alcohol, POS reads the birthrate on the drivers license/identification card and allows the transaction.

Hope that's helpful :)

Also, how would Target know it was for someone else unless you a) tell someone or b) hand it to the person after you checkout?

Last edited:

When people buy M rated games at my store, it just asks for birthdate, not to scan.
Unless, as someone said earlier, I'm a brand team member and I don't know it.

Had a guest flip out on me today and refuse to give me his ID for some PSE. I simply refused to sell it to him. He then went to the LOD and complained so the LOD came over WITH the guest to try and "override" my denial. Of course, the ETL-Rx had stepped out to go to the bathroom, and I tried to explain to the LOD (who's an idiot, but that's another story) that it's a FEDERAL LAW and she just kept saying "but there HAS to be some way around it". Fortunately, the ETL-Rx came back and backed me up and the guy finally gave us his ID...turns out he was over his limit (and then we reported it as "suspicious behavior")...no wonder he didn't want to give us his ID!!!!

Had a guest flip out on me today and refuse to give me his ID for some PSE. I simply refused to sell it to him. He then went to the LOD and complained so the LOD came over WITH the guest to try and "override" my denial. Of course, the ETL-Rx had stepped out to go to the bathroom, and I tried to explain to the LOD (who's an idiot, but that's another story) that it's a FEDERAL LAW and she just kept saying "but there HAS to be some way around it". Fortunately, the ETL-Rx came back and backed me up and the guy finally gave us his ID...turns out he was over his limit (and then we reported it as "suspicious behavior")...no wonder he didn't want to give us his ID!!!!

Did he, by any chance, look like a troll?

GTC for you for your persistence and the fact that you managed not to announce that you were going on break/lunch in the middle of this sh*tstorm.

GTC for you for your persistence and the fact that you managed not to announce that you were going on break/lunch in the middle of this sh*tstorm.

I wish! It's really not that uncommon for guests to have an issue with us "walking away" with their IDs because our "Meth check" system isn't integrated into the register like some other stores. Most don't throw a hissy fit like this guy did, though...if they don't want to give us their ID, they just say "I'll just go to WalMart", like it's going to be different there...

I wish! It's really not that uncommon for guests to have an issue with us "walking away" with their IDs because our "Meth check" system isn't integrated into the register like some other stores. Most don't throw a hissy fit like this guy did, though...if they don't want to give us their ID, they just say "I'll just go to WalMart", like it's going to be different there...

Yeah, the only time I've had a guest even come close to throwing a hissy fit at me was when those texts claiming to be giving away Target gift cards were going around. I'd picked up the phone for the operator because she was tired of having to field those calls. The guy just didn't get it that we couldn't do anything about the texts (even the ones happening at 3 am, sir)... The website was already down, thankfully. I just told him to call Target Corporate. XD

As far as IDs go, I've never had trouble. There have been one or two that don't want to hand it over... and they had to wait for the GSTL to accept the keyed-in birthdate. I love the elderly people who decide to make it a complement and I like to say, when they do, that they don't look a day over 16. :D

The only time I've had an ID issue with a guest was when this lady bought over $200 worth of clothes and tried to use her husband's credit card (her husband wasn't with her). I had to get the GSTL (who suggested calling her husband and having him come with his ID), and the lady ended up leaving without buying her stuff. Other than that, I've had guests get pissed that they have to take their ID out (because that cardholder is SO tight), but they still take it out anyways for me to scan.

I just trained on the registers today and I wasn't told I had to ask for ID when they used a debit or credr card. Will it prompt me to ask if something suspicious comes up?

For purchases over $400 it will ask for the last 4 digits of the credit card. Sometimes a business acct card may ask for a purchase order number (usually you can hit enter to bypass).
If anything comes up that you don't understand, call your GSTL/GSA. DON'T let the guest tell you what to do.
We had a guest whose card requested an override code & she tried to tell my cashier that she'd "talked to the bank & they said to enter XXXX code". I said that we are required to call for OUR codes, not "what her bank told her" because you could enter almost any 4 digit number & it would go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back