Archived Scanning IDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only had one problem with a guest about ID's, but he had just cause.

This man was a pretty regular shopper at our store and one day bought a game from our electronics TM.

The game was a M-rated game (which requires you to be 17 to purchase, not 18 like some have mentioned) which required him to show his ID. He also purchased everything he had with him back at the electronics counter because the lines up front were long and the TM didnt mind. With his total being over $400, he had to show his card for the last 4 digits.

Seven days later he received a bank statement saying he had over-drafted his account, oddly from a bank he never had an account with.

Turns out, the electronics TM stole his creditcard information, wrote it down, along with his name, address and SSN (since at the time, our state allowed that info on the DL) and drained his account by about $3,000 and put it into another account the TM made using his info.

Only reason i found out about this was because i was asked to be part of the investigation, since i had relieved the TM about a half hour after the transaction. Spoke to the man about a month ago and he told me just about everything that Spot intentionally left out.

Words cannot express the hatred I feel towards those that steal. I hope that TM dies a horrible, painful death.

Words cannot express the hatred I feel towards those that steal. I hope that TM dies a horrible, painful death.

Not to make you feel bad or anything, but he did in fact, pass on about a month ago from a car accident. A drunk driver hit him and caused his car to flip, fracturing his spine and the car caught fire.

Even though he did an awful thing, i'd never wish something like that to happen to someone. Well maybe a certain someone, but not him.

Not to make you feel bad or anything, but he did in fact, pass on about a month ago from a car accident. A drunk driver hit him and caused his car to flip, fracturing his spine and the car caught fire.

Even though he did an awful thing, i'd never wish something like that to happen to someone. Well maybe a certain someone, but not him.

Wow, the probability of that is so low....crazy.

I get unhappy guests often.

I try to blame the computer for the ID....when I see alcohol on the conveyor I'll tell the guest that they have an "age restricted item" and the computer will prompt me for an ID. (this way it puts the blame on the computer and not me.)

Sometimes guests will say something about "don't I look old enough" to buy this. My answer to that is to tell them something like "it's not me that needs to know your age (and I don't care), it is the computer and the computer can not see what you look like."

Sometimes when people question the need for an ID I'll just tell them that it is THE LAW that they be over 21 to purchase and that to be safe and fair, target cards everyone.

I love it when I ask for the ID and the person says, "are you serious....do you really need the ID? Then to answer them I'll turn the register screen so they can see that I am serious.

About once a month I'll get a mean guest. Thankfully it only happens once a month, because the guests that are mean about their IDs are usually the meanest.

I get unhappy guests often.

I try to blame the computer for the ID....when I see alcohol on the conveyor I'll tell the guest that they have an "age restricted item" and the computer will prompt me for an ID. (this way it puts the blame on the computer and not me.)

Sometimes guests will say something about "don't I look old enough" to buy this. My answer to that is to tell them something like "it's not me that needs to know your age (and I don't care), it is the computer and the computer can not see what you look like."

Sometimes when people question the need for an ID I'll just tell them that it is THE LAW that they be over 21 to purchase and that to be safe and fair, target cards everyone.

I love it when I ask for the ID and the person says, "are you serious....do you really need the ID? Then to answer them I'll turn the register screen so they can see that I am serious.

About once a month I'll get a mean guest. Thankfully it only happens once a month, because the guests that are mean about their IDs are usually the meanest.

At my store, we just tell the guest "the register can't see that you're over 21" and try to make light of the situation.

I had a guy come through last week, and he wouldn't let us even touch his ID. I'm not quite 18, so I needed to call my supervisor when I sold him the new Duke Nukem game. She asked to scan his ID to which he promptly replied "No. You can see it, but you ain't scannin' it" He told me that he doesn't even let people on our miltary base scan it to grant him entry.

Anyone else ever run into a guest with the same reaction to being carded?

Yes, I get a female guest that is paranoid the government knows how much she drinks when she (if I am working cashier she ALWAYS comes to my line) buys beer. I always think... "if the government wanted to know how much you drank they would know idiot"...

I also had one guest threaten to kill me because i had to ID him for a case of budweiser.

The customer in that OP is as full of, fill in the blank, as a Thanksgiving turkey at Christmas.

He DOES NOT get on a military base without showing proper ID and if they want to scan it, they will.

That's why it has a barcode on the back.

Beyond that, I think carding people who are obviously old enough is beyond moronic, but it is company policy in a lot of stores and in the case of where I live, it's state law.

It doesn't matter how old you are or how many times I've sold you beer before, I'm not legally allowed to sell you beer without seeing a government issued photo ID.

I actually had to turn a guest away yesterday because they didn't have an ID. It was an older gentleman who just had his card renewed so all he had was a paper copy (or something like that). My cashier was a minor (I always end up with three on a Saturday night...I don't get it), so she turned on her flasher and I walked over. I moved the wine so she could finish ringing everything up and then I scanned the wine and asked for an ID. After promising me he was over 21, I told him it is a state law that I card him for alcohol. "It's in the car." I informed him I could wait if he really wanted his wine, but if I sold it to him without seeing the ID, I could get into major trouble. He stormed out saying it was the worst customer service he'd ever experienced.

Yet, most of the older women giggle & tell me how much I made their day :)

I used to encounter a couple M-rated games every now and then that didn't prompt for an ID when I worked in Electronics. I guess it still happens occasionally.

OMG! Had to scan a guy's ID yesterday for some Sudafed (the TGT brand) and he went on this whole 5-minute diatribe about whether or not keeping track of sales is really doing anything for the methamphetamine epidemic in the country or not and why can he buy 48 tablets of Sudafed, but only 20 of another or 10 of a third, and what does the database DO and how it's unfair that "upstanding citizens like him" now have to be treated like criminals because of the "junkies" and blah, blah, blah....I was just sitting there listening, answering his questions, and thinking "Dude, I REALLY don't have time for this" LOL!

OMG! Had to scan a guy's ID yesterday for some Sudafed (the TGT brand) and he went on this whole 5-minute diatribe about whether or not keeping track of sales is really doing anything for the methamphetamine epidemic in the country or not and why can he buy 48 tablets of Sudafed, but only 20 of another or 10 of a third, and what does the database DO and how it's unfair that "upstanding citizens like him" now have to be treated like criminals because of the "junkies" and blah, blah, blah....I was just sitting there listening, answering his questions, and thinking "Dude, I REALLY don't have time for this" LOL!

thats when you shoot back how the goverment calculates how much pseudoephedrine can be purchased:
Individuals may not purchase more than 3.6 g of pseudoephedrine in one day and individuals may not purchase more than 9 g of pseudoephedrine
in any 30-day period.
You can get 20 for the 12 hour quantity because its higher in strength than the 4-6 red ones.

sorry to respond but that is my biggest pet peeve in the pharmacy.

I used to encounter a couple M-rated games every now and then that didn't prompt for an ID when I worked in Electronics. I guess it still happens occasionally.

Yeah I think there used to be an issue were a few discount M=rated games didn't call up the prompt.

The game was a M-rated game (which requires you to be 17 to purchase, not 18 like some have mentioned) which required him to show his ID.

M-rated games can legally be sold to minors there is no law against it.(at least not in the United States)

The rant below is directed at society in general NOT you.

I for one think Targets policy on carding people is stupid, the policy just feeds this warped view that video games make people violent and killers. It doesn't address the real problem which is people not taking responsibility for their actions it just makes the people who commit these acts want to use the "video games made me do it" excuse even more.

thats when you shoot back how the goverment calculates how much pseudoephedrine can be purchased:
Individuals may not purchase more than 3.6 g of pseudoephedrine in one day and individuals may not purchase more than 9 g of pseudoephedrine
in any 30-day period.
You can get 20 for the 12 hour quantity because its higher in strength than the 4-6 red ones.

sorry to respond but that is my biggest pet peeve in the pharmacy.

What about the medicines that don't have pseudophedrine? I think that some medicines with dextramathorphan (please excuse my spelling) or phynephedrine?

Dextromethorphan is frequently abused by people looking for a cheap and dirty high, but is not a regulated substance. Pseudoepedrine has laws and retail policies surrounding it because it's used to cook meth, basically. DXM isn't used to make other more dangerous drugs (not that it's not dangerous by itself, when abused) so it's not treated the same way. I don't know if the pharmacists have any empowerment to withhold sale of DXM products to a guest who has exhibited suspicious buying activity. Kinda like that one episode of A&E Intervention, with that lady who was addicted to the computer keyboard duster. She just walked into Walmart and people knew right away who she was and what she wanted, but they did nothing to stop it.

Side note, I don't think Target sells any pharmaceuticals with DXM as the only active ingredient - all the products we sell are mixed with other drugs (expectorants, antihistamines, analgesics) that make it more difficult to abuse the desired dextromethorphan without severe and undesirable side effects.

Side note, I don't think Target sells any pharmaceuticals with DXM as the only active ingredient - all the products we sell are mixed with other drugs (expectorants, antihistamines, analgesics) that make it more difficult to abuse the desired dextromethorphan without severe and undesirable side effects.

Actually we do that's what Delsym and Robitussin Cough is. But anywho I don't have a problem telling people I wont sell them anything if they don't let me key in their date of birth or scan their id and my pharmacist backs me up on that. Its not our problem I always just tell people to write the congressmen if they dislike that law, we just enforce it.

Formina and pharm.......

thanks for your help and knowledge!

What about the medicines that don't have pseudophedrine? I think that some medicines with dextramathorphan (please excuse my spelling) or phynephedrine?
Some meds with Phenylephrine will ask for ID, some won't. All of the Dextromorphan products should....Delsym & Robitussin are the only ones with JUST Dextromorphan as the active ingredient, although Robitussin also has versions with other ingredients as well. Pretty much anything with DM or "tuss" in the name has dextromorphan and anything with a "PE" after it has phenylephrine. The only exception to the "DM/tuss" is Nyquil, which has neither, but does contain DM and there are versions of certain meds without PE that have phenylephrine (Advil Congestion Relief-in the yellow package).

Here's a conversation I had with a guest earlier this week.... after being called over by the cashier.
Guest: She is not touching my license and sure as hell NOT scanning it.
Me: Unfortunitly to be able to purchase your Alcohol, We need to verify your age by scanning your license.
Guest: WTF..... My license is my property and you can't do anything with it unless I give you permission.
Me: Well, the Budlight and Twisted Tea are my property until you buy it off of me and in order to do that you need to show your license and we need to validate your age.
Guest: I'm a cashier and I know for a fact you dont have to ID anyone for Alcohol..
Me: Really?... Where do you work so I can turn them in to the FBI...
Guest: Turns beat red and throws her license at me. (I would have kicked her out at that point, but it was almost $60 worth of alcohol) Sales...Sales.... Sales......

Guest ZERO, Me ONE

I have to say, neither one of you were quite right in that one.

In the state where I live, it is state law that you have to card for alcohol sales, regardless of age but that isn't the national norm.

The way it used to be here was it was at the discretion of the seller and from her reaction, I'm guessing that's how it still is where you are.

Not to say it's not policy where you work but I'm guessing it's not a law.

That said, her license IS NOT her property. It's the property of whatever state issued it.

I'm at an utter loss as to what their issue is with scanning their ID but I couldn't tell you how many times I've had someone rant and rave about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back