Archived Scanning IDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well when our city's police department had 34 different credit fraud cases in one month from just our store it kinda sorta makes sense

Some of them were from a credit fraud ring. Not really a gang in the violence sense but a large group of people going all over the area committing credit fraud. Also there was a lot of just one time uses of stolen credit cards by like purse snatchers and those who found cards left by their idiot owners and used them before the owner realized it was missing and filed the loss with hei bank.

I think for purchases over $50 (they have to sign), checking ID is okay... Otherwise it just slows checkout speed down (and 1+1).

For some reason in my state we dont scan ID's yet. But our govt is just now rolling out the scannable ID's... oh my.. i can only IMAGINE how well that's going to go over with the guests.

We don't ID on credit purchases but, on high dollar purchases, the register will ask to confirm the last 4 digits of the card.
Registers will flag for movies, games (17); chemicals, medicine, nicotine products, fireworks (18); beer & wine (21). For those we have to at least see the ID. Pharmacy actually scans it. Anyone who protests gets to talk to the LOD who can tell them what laws require it & why we won't sell it to them w/o ID.

I forgot to mention that we have to confirm the last 4 digits of the card for purchases over $400. We don't have to ID for movies, but we do for nicotine patches, rated-M games, cold medicine, beer, and even dusting spray(!). In my state, fireworks are illegal.

The hand scanners at my store are awful, and when scanning IDs it takes foreverrr, i usually have to pull the trigger 20+ times. In electronics it works much better though, their scanners must get less wear and tear.

I have guests complain about this all the time. I just tell them that our ids have the same info in them as they show on the outside. I mean the state probably knows all about you already, you had to apply for the darn thing. I dont get people being rude though, we are just doing our jobs.

I don't get the point in IDing for medicine. Yes people abuse it, but what does verifying that they have to be 18 do? They still going to abuse it and if they are a minor, they could just go to a local rite aid which doesn't ask for ID
By law, everyone is supposed to ask for ID for certain medicines, regardless of where you buy it...if the local Rite Aid isn't asking for ID for them, they're risking (up to, I think) a $5000 fine for each sale...

I was waiting for today...working in pharmacy, we have to deal with the pseudoephedrine meds (sudafed, cold meds with decongestant, etc). We have to enter the buyer's information into the register AND another database (called, appropriately, "Methcheck"). Well, tonight, I get the guest who wants to buy 2 boxes of generic Sudafed, but doesn't want to give me his ID so I can enter his information into EITHER database. I tried to explain to him that I couldn't sell it to him otherwise, but he didn't want to hear that, he started going on about how the government had no business invading his privacy, it was a violation of his civil rights, blah, blah, blah...so I just called the pharmacist over and let her deal with him. He wouldn't give it to HER either...then the STORE manager gets involved because this guy is getting LOUD at this point. The store manager finally told him that he would either have to give us his ID and make the purchase or not make the purchase and leave. The guy still refused so the STM had to threaten to "have him removed" and the guy finally left, saying we were going to hear from his attorney.

By law, everyone is supposed to ask for ID for certain medicines, regardless of where you buy it...if the local Rite Aid isn't asking for ID for them, they're risking (up to, I think) a $5000 fine for each sale...

I was waiting for today...working in pharmacy, we have to deal with the pseudoephedrine meds (sudafed, cold meds with decongestant, etc). We have to enter the buyer's information into the register AND another database (called, appropriately, "Methcheck"). Well, tonight, I get the guest who wants to buy 2 boxes of generic Sudafed, but doesn't want to give me his ID so I can enter his information into EITHER database. I tried to explain to him that I couldn't sell it to him otherwise, but he didn't want to hear that, he started going on about how the government had no business invading his privacy, it was a violation of his civil rights, blah, blah, blah...so I just called the pharmacist over and let her deal with him. He wouldn't give it to HER either...then the STORE manager gets involved because this guy is getting LOUD at this point. The store manager finally told him that he would either have to give us his ID and make the purchase or not make the purchase and leave. The guy still refused so the STM had to threaten to "have him removed" and the guy finally left, saying we were going to hear from his attorney.

:blowup: Really people? Srsly?

Yeah, good luck with THAT lawsuit.

:blowup: Really people? Srsly?

Yeah, good luck with THAT lawsuit.

That's what the StM said. We were actually laughing about it after he left because he's also "the guy" who covers the pad as he's typing in his PIN...like I a) am REALLY going to watch, b) remember it if I DID, and c) could do anything with it anyway! I'm actually surprised he USES a debit card?!?!

That's what the StM said. We were actually laughing about it after he left because he's also "the guy" who covers the pad as he's typing in his PIN...like I a) am REALLY going to watch, b) remember it if I DID, and c) could do anything with it anyway! I'm actually surprised he USES a debit card?!?!

Send him back to the toy aisles. It's obvious he's lost his marbles.

What is an StM?

EDIT: Nevermind. Store Manager I'm assuming...

We always have to card no matter what no bypassing the system unless it doesn't scan then yes you can key it in. Apparently there was some big issue of underage sales or something so now we have to card everyone even if they are way,way over 21. As a matter of fact one day this elderly man came in for wine didn't have his id and the TM said sorry I need your id he got very upset and said let me speak to a manager! ETL came over said sorry sir this is our policy and he said this is stupid I am over 21 and stormed off. It happened I saw it with my own two eyes.

I used to care a lot about carding people, especially when they took offense. After myself and a friend got nailed in an alcohol sting a long time ago, I stopped caring.

People will *************** and moan about anything they can. Most people are whining cry babies. When I worked in retail, I carded anyone that bought anything age restricted. If they didn't like it, they walked without the item. At least management had my back on that much.

Seriously the biggest piece of advice I have for anyone is pretend to treat the customer like your friend, but secretly understand they are your enemy. Rip off the dumb ones, play along with the smart ones. Don't ever trust them, only the stupid ones will trust you. And ignore the whiners.

We always have to card no matter what no bypassing the system unless it doesn't scan then yes you can key it in. Apparently there was some big issue of underage sales or something so now we have to card everyone even if they are way,way over 21. As a matter of fact one day this elderly man came in for wine didn't have his id and the TM said sorry I need your id he got very upset and said let me speak to a manager! ETL came over said sorry sir this is our policy and he said this is stupid I am over 21 and stormed off. It happened I saw it with my own two eyes.

Seriously? Our ETL will just key in the date and override it if they're OBVIOUSLY over 21...I've even seen it done at other stores....

Had to turn away a 60-something yr-old grandma because she didn't even have ANY ID on her. Her daughter offered her card but the woman said no. On her way out, tho, she said "Wait'll the girls hear about this" & started laughing in spite of herself.

In some states (like mine) it's actually LAW to card EVERYONE. no exceptions =\

I've only had one problem with a guest about ID's, but he had just cause.

This man was a pretty regular shopper at our store and one day bought a game from our electronics TM.

The game was a M-rated game (which requires you to be 17 to purchase, not 18 like some have mentioned) which required him to show his ID. He also purchased everything he had with him back at the electronics counter because the lines up front were long and the TM didnt mind. With his total being over $400, he had to show his card for the last 4 digits.

Seven days later he received a bank statement saying he had over-drafted his account, oddly from a bank he never had an account with.

Turns out, the electronics TM stole his creditcard information, wrote it down, along with his name, address and SSN (since at the time, our state allowed that info on the DL) and drained his account by about $3,000 and put it into another account the TM made using his info.

Only reason i found out about this was because i was asked to be part of the investigation, since i had relieved the TM about a half hour after the transaction. Spoke to the man about a month ago and he told me just about everything that Spot intentionally left out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back