Archived SEL/GSTL - MyCheckout

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentbarton

Service and Engagement Lead
Hello friends!

I am a recently promoted Service and Engagement Lead at a pilot store (moved up from Electronics). I am posting on this thread to see what other SELs or GSTLs do in their store to motivate MyCheckout Sales.

We are doing quite poorly in MyCheckout sales in general, part of which is due to only having one halfway-working device, but still. There are some weeks where we will have $2,000 in sales, and the next we will have $40. And my Store Director isn't happy about it (man all these new terms are hard...).

I am only training right now, but I was thinking of doing some sort of "rewards system" and competition with the Front End (and even Sales Floor) to motivate them, similar to Red Cards. I am hoping to requisition a whiteboard and hang it in TSC to show the current month's leader in sales, the last month's leader in sales, and the same thing for each week. I would have GS and SF mark down when they get a sale. And if my Store Director will allow it, I am hoping to do a reward of like a small Target knickknack like Target sunglasses or something for the monthly winner. In addition, doing a Guest Services vs. Sales Floor competition (once ours is fixed, we will have two devices - one for GS and one for SF) during BTS/BTC or Q4 to motivate. Not sure of the reward for that one yet.

Do you guys think this is a solid plan? I realize that every store is different, just gauging opinions and adding new ideas. If you have any additional ideas (or advice for a new Lead), feel free to drop below! I am really open to ideas.

Thanks!

The biggest thing we do is having a team member in key areas with the device actively saving the sale.

For example during peak hours on the weekend having a team member in seasonal ready to Save the Sale on patio sets with the device. My STL challenged every leader in the store to personally save one sale a week and I think I'm the only one keeping that deal. The biggest thing is making sure your salesfloor team is educated. Rather than suggesting immediately suggesting another Target to get an item thats out of stock, make sure the team is asking "When do you need this by?" If they need it immediately, suggest another store, in a week or so I inform the guest that if they have a redcard we can ship it free to them in 4-7 days. Sometimes it works, sometimes they say they will order it on there own.

Competitions don't really work at my store, but the select motives and goal oriented team members do.

Also note that sometimes the price is different on target.com and so far we cannot match prices so I make sure I honor the lower price by using a gift card for the difference so they are getting the same deal.

Learn the benefits mycheckout offers in your district. I've seen posts where only redcard holders can get free shipping with no minimums. In my store however every order gets free standard shipping. I can attribute most of my mycheckout transaction to the free shipping aspect.

It also comes down to recognition for the team and then staying on top of them. I have 1 TM that's absolutely amazing and I make sure to recognize her and show her the stats. That way she can see how much of an impact she's having. I've also found that most ETLs don't care about it. It's not part of their metrics so they don't sweat it. I have to personally direct TMs to sign out the device and have it out on the floor. Otherwise they'll both sit in the lockup all day.

We generally keep ours at the service desk unless there is a big sale going on. Occasionally we would have one in seasonal (especially patio) and sometimes at the fitting room. Someone will call guest service and either come and grab it or a gstl or gstm will go and meet somewhere for it.

I get a good amount of them at the service desk... some are sent from other tms to order at the service desk, but others times I get them are when a guest expresses that the size wasn’t right/ they wanted to exchange, but we’re out of stock. I always try to let them know it’s an option; although, if we’re busy up there I might not mention it. If you keep yours at the service desk, I’d definitely try to mention to your guest service tms that they should be asking in certain situations and especially mention free shipping.

We push our mycheckout device in different areas of the store but what helps the most is really having a team (including sales floor) that knows what mycheckout is and are able to promote it to guests. We get a lot of sales for the mycheckout from guests shopping for baby registry gifts, when we don’t have something from the list in the store, we tell them that we can just order it for them to make sure it’s exactly the right item. Same with fitting room, if we don’t have a specific size or color that a guest wants, we can just order it for them. We also sell a lot of patio furniture with the mydevice since a lot of those things offer free shipping even for non-redcard holding shoppers

Last edited:
Ours have literally never worked (at least every single time I’ve ever tried to use them) and we get yelled at so often because people will send guests up to us at guest service telling them they can order something and then when we tell them oh actually our device to do that is broken guess who gets called the idiot... I hate these things

Do you guys think this is a solid plan? I realize that every store is different, just gauging opinions and adding new ideas. If you have any additional ideas (or advice for a new Lead), feel free to drop below! I am really open to ideas.

I think most of the posts focus on educating the Team(s) to USE the mycheckout device to save a sale. We keep one in Electronics; especially for "big-ticket" items; and in the Fitting Room, where we can "always find the size" on .com. However, I do like @FoodJunkie suggestion of keeping one with the Seasonal TM to drive the patio furn/bbq business.
While your idea of having a tracking board/competition/reward is thoughtful..... it's probably too much "maintenance" to update. (we already have a lot on our plates). Consistency w/ the message of Driving Sales, Saving the Sale, Ease of Shopping, and then a genuine, positive layer of verbal recognition will be more beneficial and efficient.

We are having some success with my check out on the sales floor & front end. It's an big opp for everyone to drive sales when you are out of stock on certain items. Don't forget to research the item that you are out on after the guest leaves. It helps your scans score for the week.
I did notice that most items are shipped free without a red card & shipped in 3 days. I will take a checkout with me, every time.

We get a lot of sales for the mycheckout from guests shopping for baby registry gifts, when we don’t have something from the list in the store.
We do a lot of baby registry mycheckout sales a lot. My only issue with that and maybe my store just doesn’t know how to do this, but a lot of the times the guest wants to mail the item directly to the person with the gift registry; however, they do not know the address of the recipient. When you order with target.com and add a gift regisrty, I believe it gives you the option to ship directly to the recipient, but when you scan the baby registry ID barcode on the my checkout, no option for that pops up - frustrating a lot of guests and I’ve tried many ways to get around it.

Idk if you’ve had this issue, but if you have maybe you know if there is anyway to add that registry address rather than the person purchasing the item’s address without knowing it?

Can someone explain how store A gets the sale from the mycheckout, when they don't actually send any product out the door, while store B, for example, also gets the sale from sending out the product through SFS (which is likely)?
Or am I thinking about this all wrong?

Can someone explain how store A gets the sale from the mycheckout, when they don't actually send any product out the door, while store B, for example, also gets the sale from sending out the product through SFS (which is likely)?

the product is likely coming from the DC, not SFS

It's my understanding that the store using mycheckout does NOT "get the sale". The "sale" is generated at the shipping store.

My checkout came up during the Huddle yesterday. Our STL told us that we do get the sales from using mycheckout

Why would they be pushing "SAVE THE SALE" so much unless our store gets the sale?

It's my understanding that the store using mycheckout does NOT "get the sale". The "sale" is generated at the shipping store.
We do get the sale. Technically the sale “stays in our store” even if the product is getting shipped from somewhere that’s not our store

We do a lot of baby registry mycheckout sales a lot. My only issue with that and maybe my store just doesn’t know how to do this, but a lot of the times the guest wants to mail the item directly to the person with the gift registry; however, they do not know the address of the recipient. When you order with target.com and add a gift regisrty, I believe it gives you the option to ship directly to the recipient, but when you scan the baby registry ID barcode on the my checkout, no option for that pops up - frustrating a lot of guests and I’ve tried many ways to get around it.

Idk if you’ve had this issue, but if you have maybe you know if there is anyway to add that registry address rather than the person purchasing the item’s address without knowing it?
I am not sure about this one as it hasn’t come up in my store (usually people are able to get the address of the person the gift is for or they already have it) but you bring up a good point and I’ll have to look into it since I’m sure it’ll be helpful at some point

My checkout came up during the Huddle yesterday. Our STL told us that we do get the sales from using mycheckout

Why would they be pushing "SAVE THE SALE" so much unless our store gets the sale?

When using the myCheckouts, your store is credited with the sale because the sale originated at your store.
Hence the original internal name for myCheckout being 'SaveTheSale'.

I just double-checked w/ my STL..... she claims we STILL do not receive 100% of the sale. The Save the Sale concept is for Target as a whole. Her words, not mine. ( I'd hate to think she is spreading misinformation. :oops: )

Side bar: The last company I worked for took about 2 years to fully transition the process, finally allowing the order store to receive 100% credit for the sale.

A big key is to NOT tell guests "I can do an online order for you" or anything else that makes it sound like the guest could have done it themselves. My script tends to be (on the salesfloor, after verifying it's not out of stock on spot.com) "It looks like we're out of stock on that item, but I can write down the item number for you and, if you stop at our service deck, they can order one for you and it'll be shipped directly to you". It's especially good on Saturdays for sale items that are ending that day. My store has found success having the two MyCheckout devices at fixed locations (the service desk and the fitting room, generally) so that any TM can send a guest there, versus trying to track down who has the device. We also try to walkie the TM we're sending the guest to with the DPCI so they don't have to try to look it up again.

Ours have literally never worked (at least every single time I’ve ever tried to use them) and we get yelled at so often because people will send guests up to us at guest service telling them they can order something and then when we tell them oh actually our device to do that is broken guess who gets called the idiot... I hate these things

Then send them back?.... simple fix

A big key is to NOT tell guests "I can do an online order for you" or anything else that makes it sound like the guest could have done it themselves. My script tends to be (on the salesfloor, after verifying it's not out of stock on spot.com) "It looks like we're out of stock on that item, but I can write down the item number for you and, if you stop at our service deck, they can order one for you and it'll be shipped directly to you". It's especially good on Saturdays for sale items that are ending that day. My store has found success having the two MyCheckout devices at fixed locations (the service desk and the fitting room, generally) so that any TM can send a guest there, versus trying to track down who has the device. We also try to walkie the TM we're sending the guest to with the DPCI so they don't have to try to look it up again.

While I can see why you want to trick the guest into thinking they can’t do the same thing it leads to them to believe it’s way simpler than ordering online if they do it with us and we get a ton of feedback when the guest has to insert all their info and emails and such. I’ve got three separate guests get mad about putting in an email because “this is why I never order things online” so I would just tell them “a Tm at Gs can HELP you order it and it’ll go right to your house or you can pick it up in store”

Has anyone in Beauty ever used the MyCheckout? I've literally never used it before but I'm really interested

Does it use online price or in store price or whichever is lower? There's no way to price match yet when using it. I requested that feature

Yes I've used it in beauty and at GS. The problem is that the pricing isnt' consistent. I checked a specific shampoo online at it said one price. When I went to do mycheckout, the price was completely different (and higher). I would think mycheckout would use online pricing but apparently not. The only thing you can do is make a gift card for the difference and apply it to the total. It needs to be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back