Archived SFS/OPU and Social Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone been reading the social media Target posts? I'll say it again, if Target wants to remain competitive with online shopping, they need to improve their selection, packing, and shipping standards. People are receiving or picking up damaged merchandise, shipping times are off and they aren't getting up to date shipping info, and they can't get through to customer service. I know I am tired of the OPU/SFS mistakes that are made.

Anybody who works at a store could tell you how terrible of an idea it was to send this many orders out through stores. So many inexperienced TMs handling things and greedy leadership ok with sending questionable merchandise or pack jobs all to make the sale.

And the inefficiencies are astronomical! Every day I'm picking items that were just stocked on the shelf by the truck team, wasting time troubleshooting on the computer, and spending hours floor loading the trailer.

I've been refreshing this page all weekend. It's posts/complaints about people's online purchases lately. I feel so bad I want to help them all lol

Target - https://m.facebook.com/target/posts_to_page/

This is not how I was trained to package detergent. I wrap tape around the lid and then bag each bottle.
16hoklg.jpg

That detergent pic is painful to look at. the whole point of these kinds of ship-to-home services is to remain competitive with online retailers like Amazon.com, but it's shit like this that will lead to a dystopian future where Amazon.gov is the only retailer for all consumer products (every shipment picked accurately and wrapped securely by the BezosBot 9000)

Anybody who works at a store could tell you how terrible of an idea it was to send this many orders out through stores. So many inexperienced TMs handling things and greedy leadership ok with sending questionable merchandise or pack jobs all to make the sale.

And the inefficiencies are astronomical! Every day I'm picking items that were just stocked on the shelf by the truck team, wasting time troubleshooting on the computer, and spending hours floor loading the trailer.
No, its worse that that. On our cyber monday I watched our Sr TL and ETL do 8 boxes to get them on the truck. It took about 3 minutes. None was fragile but The system insisted on a huge box for the small legos so she filled it with air pillows. Part of the problem is the way spot wants it done not store execution.

Where the hell is the prep bag and the zip tie?
Better question? When you open a case of Tide from the DC where the hell is the prep bag and the zip tie? Its not there. The problem isnt the person who chose the wrong box, its the fact that if Proctor and Gamble can ship it with out it so can we. We are the ones fucking it up and its all Spot with their head up the ass. Its not hard to get the correct boxes to ship them in.

For detergents wouldn't it be better if the quantity was more than one to simply ship a case pack sans the bottle/bottles?

For us, it was mostly our STL and ETLs doing shitty packing jobs! Our STL got upset when we were trying to correct him about things like putting HZ items in polybags, so we just gave up. We also ran out of boxes, so all sorts of shit was getting thrown in polybags that
shouldn't be.

Where the hell is the prep bag and the zip tie?
I think you're supposed to use an ESIM bag, at least that's what the poster we have says.

I think part of the problem is the materials we have. For example, there really needs to be a box smaller than 126 (for HZ stuff that has to remain upright but could bounce around in all the extra space in a 126) and one between 413 and 439. Some of the sizes are super awkward, too, and end up requiring too many air pillows (the short and long one, I can't remember which one at the moment- 277 maybe?). Of course, part of it is also people doing their weekly shopping online- if you're ordering a bunch of cans and bags of potato chips and a fragile vase, that's not really going to work and we can't split every single container that comes out like that.

For us, it was mostly our STL and ETLs doing shitty packing jobs! Our STL got upset when we were trying to correct him about things like putting HZ items in polybags, so we just gave up. We also ran out of boxes, so all sorts of shit was getting thrown in polybags that
shouldn't be.

I think you're supposed to use an ESIM bag, at least that's what the poster we have says.

I think part of the problem is the materials we have. For example, there really needs to be a box smaller than 126 (for HZ stuff that has to remain upright but could bounce around in all the extra space in a 126) and one between 413 and 439. Some of the sizes are super awkward, too, and end up requiring too many air pillows (the short and long one, I can't remember which one at the moment- 277 maybe?). Of course, part of it is also people doing their weekly shopping online- if you're ordering a bunch of cans and bags of potato chips and a fragile vase, that's not really going to work and we can't split every single container that comes out like that.

And this is why Amazon does a better job and Target will continue to struggle. I recently purchased several food items, some cleaning products, and a couple of delicate items from Amazon. They all arrived in the same box and all were divided so they would not be damaged.

I just realized, with the delivery estimates being off, how much of that is due to stores fake packing out orders because of running out of boxes/not having adequate payroll for SFS? I imagine a lot of stores ended up doing that, maybe not even realizing the consequences of it.

There's a whole lot Target needs to do...

We do about 25% of our SFS yearly sales between Thanksgiving and the Thursday after Thanksgiving. Cramming that much into 7 days is just asking for things to go wrong. Target encourages this, too, with their cyber Monday and Black Friday advertising, encouraging people to do their online shopping one one single day of the year. Then acting surprised when stores can't keep up with the demand, which is about 30 times busier than normal.

Needing to hire seasonal people isn't a problem in itself, but throwing a new person onto the SFS team on cyber Monday is unfair to both them and their trainer. For the new TM it's obviously not fair because they have an incredibly steep learning curve and most people are too busy to help them. The trainer is likely one of the more experienced TMs, so having one or more trainees will slow them down tremendously. I also prefer to have pickers to have at least 2 sales floor shifts and at least experience backstocking. Having to explain about planograms, backroom locations, upper/lower case stock, and all that in addition to packing is simply too much to cover in one day.

Do I even need to go into how inefficient the picking process is? With over 2000 items to gather, why does it seem to do a selection from every area in the store? Why not pull out all the single orders from one area and batch them together? If 100 of those 2000 items are from section A, make 3 batches of around 33 items each. Batch all single softlines items together (and add a couple bucks to the paycheck to the poor sap who gets this one). So much time is wasted trying to move on the floor, especially when people block aisles with carts / bodies / children. I'm genuinely curious how long a 30 item batch takes to pick in the larger, busier stores in December.

Leadership is a problem too, and I'm sure my store is not unique in this regard. My store put the plano TL in charge of SFS despite him saying that he didn't want the position. So far he has done nothing relating to SFS besides maybe scheduling, but I think the BR TL or Log-ETL does that. The obvious choice of temporary TL would have been me since I have the most experience, and all seasonal TMs and most of the regular TMs agree. Most of the ones who don't are already Sr.TLs, and that's mostly because they think that they should be the ones in charge back there despite their only experience on SFS is packing. Meaning they don't know how many supplies to order, how to fix errors, a good ratio of pickers to packers, or anything of the like. (This was apparent because when I took a week off once, when I got back a Sr.TL had ordered 1 of everything on the audit form. 1 of each box pallet, 1 box of collates, 1 box of WAT tape, etc...). You cannot have leaders arguing over processes, and especially shouldn't have the most big-headed TL telling new hires to put all clothing in a 439 box because that's what the collate says.

Imagine if Amazon acted like Target. "Here's an order for an item. It's in the warehouse somewhere." Or "Here's an order for a $3.00 Christmas decoration. It's on one of those 25 pallets on the top shelf but we're not sure which one. Likely in an assortment box, so no looking at the DPCIs." Sometimes I'll INF an item because I simply give up, or just know how inefficient it'd be to remove the pallets one by one and take a look in each box.

Also, why offer discounts on orders for store pick up? 20% off Christmas trees, but only if you get it as an SPU. I'd rather give the discount to people who get it themselves! This just makes more work for the flex team when they're already swamped, and I'd wager that a good chunk of the people are only doing it for the discount. WALL-E should not be a prophecy.

I think hiring new TM for specifically SFS is extremely bad idea. They have no clue what products we carry, where to find them yet expect them to find it in a short time frame and pack it quickly. I was help packing for cyber Monday. Someone picked pants that looked worn with no tags but we had to ship them since it was our only pair. I watch a new sfs TM tape a box with tape on all 4 sides plus across the top in 4 strips.

There's a whole lot Target needs to do...

We do about 25% of our SFS yearly sales between Thanksgiving and the Thursday after Thanksgiving. Cramming that much into 7 days is just asking for things to go wrong. Target encourages this, too, with their cyber Monday and Black Friday advertising, encouraging people to do their online shopping one one single day of the year. Then acting surprised when stores can't keep up with the demand, which is about 30 times busier than normal.

Needing to hire seasonal people isn't a problem in itself, but throwing a new person onto the SFS team on cyber Monday is unfair to both them and their trainer. For the new TM it's obviously not fair because they have an incredibly steep learning curve and most people are too busy to help them. The trainer is likely one of the more experienced TMs, so having one or more trainees will slow them down tremendously. I also prefer to have pickers to have at least 2 sales floor shifts and at least experience backstocking. Having to explain about planograms, backroom locations, upper/lower case stock, and all that in addition to packing is simply too much to cover in one day.

Do I even need to go into how inefficient the picking process is? With over 2000 items to gather, why does it seem to do a selection from every area in the store? Why not pull out all the single orders from one area and batch them together? If 100 of those 2000 items are from section A, make 3 batches of around 33 items each. Batch all single softlines items together (and add a couple bucks to the paycheck to the poor sap who gets this one). So much time is wasted trying to move on the floor, especially when people block aisles with carts / bodies / children. I'm genuinely curious how long a 30 item batch takes to pick in the larger, busier stores in December.

Leadership is a problem too, and I'm sure my store is not unique in this regard. My store put the plano TL in charge of SFS despite him saying that he didn't want the position. So far he has done nothing relating to SFS besides maybe scheduling, but I think the BR TL or Log-ETL does that. The obvious choice of temporary TL would have been me since I have the most experience, and all seasonal TMs and most of the regular TMs agree. Most of the ones who don't are already Sr.TLs, and that's mostly because they think that they should be the ones in charge back there despite their only experience on SFS is packing. Meaning they don't know how many supplies to order, how to fix errors, a good ratio of pickers to packers, or anything of the like. (This was apparent because when I took a week off once, when I got back a Sr.TL had ordered 1 of everything on the audit form. 1 of each box pallet, 1 box of collates, 1 box of WAT tape, etc...). You cannot have leaders arguing over processes, and especially shouldn't have the most big-headed TL telling new hires to put all clothing in a 439 box because that's what the collate says.

Imagine if Amazon acted like Target. "Here's an order for an item. It's in the warehouse somewhere." Or "Here's an order for a $3.00 Christmas decoration. It's on one of those 25 pallets on the top shelf but we're not sure which one. Likely in an assortment box, so no looking at the DPCIs." Sometimes I'll INF an item because I simply give up, or just know how inefficient it'd be to remove the pallets one by one and take a look in each box.

Also, why offer discounts on orders for store pick up? 20% off Christmas trees, but only if you get it as an SPU. I'd rather give the discount to people who get it themselves! This just makes more work for the flex team when they're already swamped, and I'd wager that a good chunk of the people are only doing it for the discount. WALL-E should not be a prophecy.

This!! I will also add... how much time and money is wasted when you have a TM looking for an item and our inventory says we have one in stock. If there is only one in stock in our store then it should not be available to purchase online. We know how off our inventory numbers are and I feel bad for the TM having to rummage through reshop to see it that item might be there.

I think hiring new TM for specifically SFS is extremely bad idea. They have no clue what products we carry, where to find them yet expect them to find it in a short time frame and pack it quickly. I was help packing for cyber Monday. Someone picked pants that looked worn with no tags but we had to ship them since it was our only pair. I watch a new sfs TM tape a box with tape on all 4 sides plus across the top in 4 strips.
Some of the items that are used to fulfil orders should not be shipped. I am tired of having to return items that are the wrong item, are damaged, the box is crappy, etc. I order from other stores online, as well as Target, and I have never had an issue with receiving a crappy item.

This!! I will also add... how much time and money is wasted when you have a TM looking for an item and our inventory says we have one in stock. If there is only one in stock in our store then it should not be available to purchase online. We know how off our inventory numbers are and I feel bad for the TM having to rummage through reshop to see it that item might be there.
I just don't understand why we get orders for items that have 0 on floor + 0 in back (0 on hand) and haven't sold one in ages and it's discontinued.

I think hiring new TM for specifically SFS is extremely bad idea.

I also prefer to have pickers to have at least 2 sales floor shifts and at least experience backstocking. Having to explain about planograms, backroom locations, upper/lower case stock, and all that in addition to packing is simply too much to cover in one day

Again it shows how out of touch they are at HQ. According to the q4 guide just in time team members aren't supposed to pick they are supposed to only pack. But I know in my district each store having only one or two pack stations it's not realistic to expect our existing team to do all the picking.

I constantly see our new team members wandering around aimlessly hoping to find items.

Last edited:
This was best practice according to the q4 guide. Plano has no work load right now and so rather than promote a tm target is cheap and encouraged stores to move an existing team lead.

They couldn't use our POG TL since every single SFS person has said they won't work with her. She utterly failed at black Friday set up so she why should she get, another process to fuck up.

I was hired in November for SFS team. That is all I have been trained on (and incorrectly at first until I found someone who actually trained me correctly). Issues we have been having were described pretty well in this thread already - running out of packing materials is the largest contender, as well as payroll hours. We've had to pull, nearly every day the past week, multiple people from other departments (cashier / hardlines mainly) just to help with our sfs, and obviously these people have had zero training in sfs before they get back there. They've mostly just been handed a Zebra and are told "hit pack, scan the collate, scan the items, pack it". Then they have the more experienced sfs workers like myself out picking instead of packing items correctly.
I actually really like this job, but I want to know why my store is now hiring more people for SFS, and pulling from other departments, yet they don't give the existing workers more hours? I've had over 30 the past 2 weeks mostly due to picking up shifts they gave out, but this week and next I'm sub 20 (and really need more than this - bills gotta get paid). It's really starting to amnoy me. Like I said I really like the job, (and would like to keep it after the season), I'm doing a great job at it too (according to coworkers that have been there for months now) so I'm astounded.

Better question? When you open a case of Tide from the DC where the hell is the prep bag and the zip tie? Its not there. The problem isnt the person who chose the wrong box, its the fact that if Proctor and Gamble can ship it with out it so can we. We are the ones fucking it up and its all Spot with their head up the ass. Its not hard to get the correct boxes to ship them in.
Procter & Gamble makes a box exactly the right size for their detergent, and if you look at the detergent backstock, you'll see there are many different sizes of boxes depending on the product. It would be impractical to have a size meant for specific items in specific quantities. And don't forget that detergent gets shipped to the DC by the pallet, so a case isn't handled individually until it is being loaded onto an outbound trailer. We have at least one busted case of detergent per week on our DC trailers.

For detergents wouldn't it be better if the quantity was more than one to simply ship a case pack sans the bottle/bottles?
I've shipped a case before if it was a case amount being ordered and I had a full case. Otherwise it's not really worth it.

Target encourages this, too, with their cyber Monday and Black Friday advertising, encouraging people to do their online shopping one one single day of the year.
There's no arguing that online shopping is the way of the future and Target has to at least attempt to compete in order to survive. But as usual, the logistics of it was poorly thought out.

Also, why offer discounts on orders for store pick up?
They are targeting the online shopper and enticing them to come into the store when they might otherwise have just had it shipped. Once the guest is in the store, they hope to sell more.

busted detergent is super irritating to deal with because it's so slippery and a bitch to clean up. even some of our OG people are prone to flinging those casepacks like horseshoes at the line even tho they ought to know better. During my very first week on flow team I lifted a case of liquid Bounce that had been flung and there was spilled softener several inches deep inside it, splashed all down my front and soaked thru my pants...even had to clean that shit out of my phone's USB port and headphone jack. :mad: admittedly there are worse things you could spill on your clothes but still, come the fuck on people

Yeah, I second why it even sends us 0 on hand/floor/back items (that are NOP on top of that)....I mean, do I even bother attempting to locate it? :) (o, and not sold at our store)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back