MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

at my store the entire pog team builds displays, not just the signing team member. actually whoever sets the aisle does their own displays, and usually the entire pog team is on the gear wall.

We used to do it that way, but the current ptl is in a constant state of catching up, so I end up feeling sorry for the sweet thing and just do it myself.

Estimated Set-Up Time Vs Reality
Pallet Signs -- Stock Up And Save

Estimate

Tear Down = 1 Minute
Locate ISM Kit in Backroom = 1 minute
Read Instructions = 1 minute
Locate Hardware = 1 minute
Assembly and Set = 4 minutes

Total = 8 minutes

Keep in mind this is 10 hanging signs over pallets that have already been set.

Reality

Nothing to Tear Down = 0 minutes
Locate ISM Kit in Backroom = 1 minute
Getting the Wave out from where it is blocked in by pallets because there is a truck this morning = 5 minutes
Locate hardware = 1 minutes
Untangle hardware because I had to take it down in a hurry when they cut my hours right after Christmas and I didn't get to organize anything = 5 minutes
Stop and go find a sign for an ETL = 10 minutes
Open box and attach hardware = 5 minutes
Glance at instructions and giggle hysterically = 1 minute
Move carts of restock and clearance that have been parked in seasonal so I can hang the signs = 5 minutes
Hang signs = 8 minutes
Put away Wave, hardware, and put box in bailer = 5 minutes
Explain to same ETL why it took so long to hang a "few" sign = frell me

Total = 47 minutes give or take

And that's without any guests in the store. Add another 10 minutes if you have to work around them.

Rinse and repeat at least 8 more times for your day.

Last edited:
Hardlinesmaster, you really need to move him out.

Why do they make it so hard to move tm around? We have a plano tm that is just awful. That one person brings down the entire team, but she is an amazing cashier!

Why can't they just switch her?

Why do they make it so hard to move tm around? We have a plano tm that is just awful. That one person brings down the entire team, but she is an amazing cashier!

The TL and ETL have to plan it and the TM has to want it.
How often does that happen?

instead of going to your etlhl/log (whomever pog reports to) and complaining about the pog tm that sucks, just go to the gstls and etlge and start bragging on how well they do. list them as your top contributor for guest service. have them respond to back up. usually within a month, they will start trying to pick them from the team. works every time at my store. ;)

instead of going to your etlhl/log (whomever pog reports to) and complaining about the pog tm that sucks, just go to the gstls and etlge and start bragging on how well they do. list them as your top contributor for guest service. have them respond to back up. usually within a month, they will start trying to pick them from the team. works every time at my store. ;)

LMAO!!!!

Oh my god, this is the best advice ever!!

at my store the entire pog team builds displays, not just the signing team member. actually whoever sets the aisle does their own displays, and usually the entire pog team is on the gear wall.

That's pretty much how we do it too. Our signing guy definitely helps a lot, but we do build a lot of our own displays and things. I feel bad for him, he constantly has people calling him for stuff...whether it's because they can't find their signing, or need to know where in our mess of a fixture room the fixture they need is located or whatever other random thing they need. I try and avoid calling him so he can actually get some work done. He's distracted so much that the signing area is almost always a complete cluster, devoid of any organization of any kind. He's had some time this week though and it's actually looking decent for once.

I wish this was true at my store. Right now I have a few pallets of infant furniture just waiting for me.

The TL and ETL have to plan it and the TM has to want it.
How often does that happen?

LMAO!!!!

Oh my god, this is the best advice ever!!

My etl-hl is secretly training his replacement, right now.

hey guys,

i need help organizing some softlines in the fixture room. we have 2 sections of light duty shelving, floor to ceiling. i have gray waco bins. but softlines has never been organized in our store before, so i don't know what fixtures they really need offhand. i looked on the keep/toss list, but it wasn't much help. also, they completely trashed my fixture room last week with their silly shelves, and now i'm gonna have to drag the etl in there and politely assist her in rehanging them all. how do you keep softlines neat and tidy in the fixture room?

also, target cafe. they have three sections of light duty shelves in our old optical room to store stuff. they just keep ordering crap and now its everywhere. were gonna throw it away, but i was curious as to what your stores do with all their supplies?

thanks a mil! hope everyone is having a great week (and impact shows up lol)!

Don't hang Softlines shelves.
The damned things get stuck and bent all to hell..
I use a combination of tubs for the short shelves and a divided unit for the 4' ones.
I use shelves with railings for the bars (which of course nobody bothers to keep in the neatly organized order I had them in to start with).

Okay, I got a bulletin sent down for signing bounceback.

Character sidecap fins

o Audit: Ensure eight fins have been put back up (two each: LEGO, Barbie, Princess, Fisher-Price Puppy). See image at right.

At first, I took it at its word, walked toys and thought, HEY!, I'm missing all my back fins(4). Then I got to thinking, pulled all the planos, and sure enough every one only mentions
the fin being placed on the main aisle, unless it interfers with sidecaps.

Anyone else have 8 of these fins before I say anything?

I have five left from the last set, the other three have gone AWOL.
Every time somebody puts on a sidecap or changes the hight of the shelves they have taken off the the fins pushed them behind the shelves, left them in the fixture room or (I guess) thrown them away.
So of course, I'm going to be audited on the damned things.

But are you sure you had 8 to begin with? I'm not so sure. I know we had 8 the time before these newer fins were placed, but if you read the instructions, I'm not so sure....

I use a combination of tubs for the short shelves and a divided unit for the 4' ones.
I use shelves with railings for the bars (which of course nobody bothers to keep in the neatly organized order I had them in to start with).

I hang softlines shelves. Hang a shoe shelf, slide a sl shelf upside down on top of it, face in. Works pretty good.

So does anybody else have the 'don't do put shelves upside-down' rule?
About a year ago the memo went out to the SFT's that all the shelves had to be attached to the wall and couldn't be stored in the air unless they were hooked up.
It's been a stone b i t c h to fit every thing when the switch outs occur.

I hang softlines shelves. Hang a shoe shelf, slide a sl shelf upside down on top of it, face in. Works pretty good.

never noticed---are the shoe shelved the same depth as the wooden sl shelves? do the wooden shelves risk sliding off? are the shoe shelves strong enough to support? what about the 2/3 foot versions?
we actually got rid of all the tubs in the fixture room because they just got trashed. works much better now. we also have a pegboard and hang the fencing crosswise and have the sl bars hanging as well. much better than having them laying down or in some type of vehicle. a 4 ft safety bar with an arm at each end holds them great, and you can hang the 2 ft inside the 3 ft inside the 4 ft (guess a pic would be easier to understand lol). but the dang shelves are flipped and attached, and NOONE hangs them up because they are such a pain having to tilt them. they seriously need to reconsider something more similar to the shoe shelving for those convertibles.

I do almost the same thing, but I hang my fencing in a section of the shelving wall where there are standards. I use chrome bars and chrome arms with stops. Fencing fits slides right over the bars, nice and straight. Problem I've had with using the pegboard is sagging over time. I do the same with the 3' and smaller U shaped SL bars. The 4' u shaped bars, I hang over 3' shelves with a piece of chrome fencing as a stop.

I never had a problem with the shoe shelves not being strong enough to hold the sl shelves and even nesting the smaller ones on top. BUT Commie has a point. I remember that work order. Our SFT looked at ours, said he thought ours was fine and signed off on it. BUT NO way can that happen with the sl shelves. They will not climb a 12' ladder to take a sl shelf every time they need it.

I'll probably have to at least try and conform with the HL shelves when I micro organize the fixture room tomorrow.

*sigh* That means another couple of pallets of shelving out in the alcove....

Okay, I got a bulletin sent down for signing bounceback.

Character sidecap fins

o Audit: Ensure eight fins have been put back up (two each: LEGO, Barbie, Princess, Fisher-Price Puppy). See image at right.

At first, I took it at its word, walked toys and thought, HEY!, I'm missing all my back fins(4). Then I got to thinking, pulled all the planos, and sure enough every one only mentions
the fin being placed on the main aisle, unless it interfers with sidecaps.

Anyone else have 8 of these fins before I say anything?

We only had 2 of the LEGO fins, IIRC. I know for a fact there was only one for the other 3, and that's the way it's been since last year.

Fins: only had five to start with here. Two lego one of everything else.

Question: do your teams break down your peghooks? Label holder from hook, from back? I cant get anyone to do this and im throwing up my hands at sorting pegs.

Ill have to comb over this post some other tie to figure out what you guys mean about the shoulder hang/u bar storage for sl bars since that is something i have yet to wrap my mind around on fixing.

Fins: only had five to start with here. Two lego one of everything else.

Question: do your teams break down your peghooks? Label holder from hook, from back? I cant get anyone to do this and im throwing up my hands at sorting pegs.

Ill have to comb over this post some other tie to figure out what you guys mean about the shoulder hang/u bar storage for sl bars since that is something i have yet to wrap my mind around on fixing.

WELL, that depends. Most Tm will break them down, but its the 2% that won't that screw up the whole system.

Back