MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

thanks guys. i've cooled down a bit.

One thing that I really have come to realize is that myself, leadership, and the rest of the store are all on completely different pages. I, personally, when I hear that I need to own the fixture room - I actually know what goes in every section. I know what goes in every waco. I have mapped out the standard wall many times. I have 3 sets of LOG stickers ready to go. I have unfolded wacos ready to go. I have grey bins. I know EXACTLY what needs to happen to FIX the fixture room. I know how to make that room useable to a point where it literally makes everyone else's job easier. Most importantly I know how much work that is. I know how tedious it is to prepare an entire skid of metal or acrylic for recycling. I know how tedious it is just to get everything out of the room to fix something in the room, and then sort the junk out of the room, and then bring it all back. Like, I KNOW these things.

They don't.

When they say they want the fixture room cleaned I have come to realize they want it to "go away". They don't care if I work my fingers off sorting every hook and peg and bar, or if I just get a couple of cages and literally just throw it all away. It is the same to them. Equal value.

That is what I need to realize. The sad thing is that I would get the same praise or lack of praise for doing either. Actually fixing the fixture room is what I have been trying to do, and I think what I need to do is just get rid of everything. They like dramatic things that happen fast whether or not it is good for them in the long or short term. It kind of kills me but I think that is what has to happen.

I am just really constantly saddened by the leadership in my building. They are just vacuous blobs who only care about green numbers. Literally. We could tie every POG in the store and not do a single one and they are so clueless they would just be like "oh, plano is green, ooooh". There is no reward for doing things right.

This has been my dream since Target took away our signing rooms and dumped us into the nasty planogram's fixture room.

Wouldn't it be awesome to assign every tm & tl in the building, 1 box in the fixture room? I can just picture it... rows of grey boxes with smiling tm faces on them. Their first 5 minute of every shift would be to clean their box and retrieve any of their box's items from carts...

Oh well, back to real world.. I just make it my first 30 minutes of every shift to clean up the room and sweep. I don't always do it with a smile and I do hold the record for shelf tossing, but its the only way I know to keep the room manageable.

Last edited:
I think our store does a pretty good job of keeping the fixture room clean. Our PTL follows up with anyone who doesn't clean up after themselves. The only issue we have is when TLs decided to set 10 ECs at once and dump vehicles of shelves in there. THAT pisses me off.

I am just really constantly saddened by the leadership in my building. They are just vacuous blobs who only care about green numbers. Literally. We could tie every POG in the store and not do a single one and they are so clueless they would just be like "oh, plano is green, ooooh". There is no reward for doing things right.

Ugh... hate it when they do that - tie things without setting them. Then I have to figure out why I can't find the product that's supposed to be in front of my face.

Our new etl hl is my hero he was there a week we got walked our dtl commented on my horrible signing area not my fault being me and the sft are the only ones who seem to care about it, and two. Days later he is back there looking at signs asking do we need this lets move the steel, etc i was like finally i feel like if its just me i get told why are you doing that we are behind because i have 4 people setting one aisle you need to help then its why arent these signs up, but he told me the tls and anyone setting spln and doesent put up the headers or boxes to tell him and he will take them to task

YOUR TLs SET ENDCAPS?!!!!

Well, only when there's 60+ SPLNs, and they're rushing at the end of the week to get them done. Lol.

we got a new etl. he requires hl to set their own endcaps, no excuses. he even jumps in and works with the team every day and is super awesome. i hope he doesn't leave. :(

we used to have one of those. he left :( because the rest of our leadership sucked. super bummer.

Well, only when there's 60+ SPLNs, and they're rushing at the end of the week to get them done. Lol.

we got a new etl. he requires hl to set their own endcaps, no excuses. he even jumps in and works with the team every day and is super awesome. i hope he doesn't leave. :(

Lucky. Plano sets all salesplanners in the store. We took it over because TLs were either ghost tying or double tying endcaps.

Lucky. Plano sets all salesplanners in the store. We took it over because TLs were either ghost tying or double tying endcaps.

we had that problem. nothing a chat with the stl, emails about sf acc weekly, and coachings from the etl can't cure :D
we went from 2 pages of problems to maybe 1-2 items a week. they're usually double ties to endcaps that are actually combined due to light product.

Anyone start the 5/12 Shoe graphic kit? Its the last box I have (yeah! finished next weeks work!) and the instructions tell me to remove XX (I don't remember the part number so XX it is) graphic and put up the new one in its place. Problem I have is none of the signs I have up is XX??

Is this the rail (CSE) package? Last time there was supposed to be one sign that was carryforward from the last set. It could be that?

Anyone start the 5/12 Shoe graphic kit? Its the last box I have (yeah! finished next weeks work!) and the instructions tell me to remove XX (I don't remember the part number so XX it is) graphic and put up the new one in its place. Problem I have is none of the signs I have up is XX??

Wow, I wish I could be a week ahead.

Put this up today. It replaces Panel #2 (4331992) that didn't change from the last set as greydot mentioned. The last set there was a message on Workbench to change all the panels but leave Panel 2 up.

Last edited:
random: were we not supposed to get a new Price Match kit by now? I swear that the post-holiday one was supposed to be replaced in March or May sometime? Anyone else remember this or am I making things up?

...yeeeaaaahhhhh. and i'm almost out of the current headers and they aren't available anymore (orderable - they are on SAP, but I get notice in my signing backorder movement emails that they are no longer available and the order is cancelled). and OF COURSE every etl thinks now is a great time to be like, hey you should order more......

Thats best practice.. My plano team took over salesplans for a month but I took over my department because they were doing things terribly wrong.. they eventually pulled the idea and gave it back to TLs. And for those who are upset when you have 60+ or some obscence number for the week.. sounds like someone isnt strategizing!!!!

random: were we not supposed to get a new Price Match kit by now? I swear that the post-holiday one was supposed to be replaced in March or May sometime? Anyone else remember this or am I making things up?

Yes, I remember it said sometime in spring. Its almost summer and still nothing.

we got ours 2 months ago. very few in the box. we reordered and got another one around three weeks ago. last i heard there was a tremendous backorder of around 6 weeks. didn't know they cancelled. wish they would make up their minds. whats wrong with EMPL? are they tired of employees making fun of it or what?

yes, there was something about it. I don't have anything for it, and I'm tired of being harped at about why we don't have any more, when is it coming in, why can't I order more? etc.

So, did anybody have fun putting up that mini-seasonal overhead signing? If I was going to do it again, I would not have built the entire fin then hang it, but rather, built it in the air.

Two people to hang it, ha! Will never happen at my store!

Feedback for the Lawn and Patio ISM Team:

Please, next year, come up with a different way to hang the patio and stack flat signs. I'm tired of putting them back up what seems like every week due to kids jumping up and smacking the signs, flow team stacking the chairs too high, guests hitting the signs with the chairs when they remove it from the stack, and everything comes crashing down. I'm surprised somebody hasn't gotten hurt yet due to the number of times they've fallen down.

Second, whose brilliant idea was it to make those gigantic, heavy suns? We've already had two crash down at my store, on top of the patio furniture. We got incredibly lucky that nobody got hurt since it fell while the store was open, and the furniture didn't get damaged (but the suns did). They went right in the trash.

I'm worried about the FOS one. I just hope some idiot teen doesn't decide to jump up and smack the signs and have it crash down on top of them. I took steps to use brand new, fresh from the bag hooks, and double-hook them after the ones in L&P fell. Does anybody take into consideration the weight of these things when they design them?

I feel sorry for whoever has to take down the suns.
They haven't trained anybody for my job, so whoever is stuck doing this stuff is going to be flying blind.
I hope they don't get hurt.

Our sign monster told me today that she never received any training for what she does. It was more or less... here it is, go to it. You'd never know, though. She's done a fabulous job and we really appreciate her. :)

So, did anybody have fun putting up that mini-seasonal overhead signing? If I was going to do it again, I would not have built the entire fin then hang it, but rather, built it in the air.

Two people to hang it, ha! Will never happen at my store!

Feedback for the Lawn and Patio ISM Team:

Please, next year, come up with a different way to hang the patio and stack flat signs. I'm tired of putting them back up what seems like every week due to kids jumping up and smacking the signs, flow team stacking the chairs too high, guests hitting the signs with the chairs when they remove it from the stack, and everything comes crashing down. I'm surprised somebody hasn't gotten hurt yet due to the number of times they've fallen down.

Second, whose brilliant idea was it to make those gigantic, heavy suns? We've already had two crash down at my store, on top of the patio furniture. We got incredibly lucky that nobody got hurt since it fell while the store was open, and the furniture didn't get damaged (but the suns did). They went right in the trash.

I'm worried about the FOS one. I just hope some idiot teen doesn't decide to jump up and smack the signs and have it crash down on top of them. I took steps to use brand new, fresh from the bag hooks, and double-hook them after the ones in L&P fell. Does anybody take into consideration the weight of these things when they design them?

Yes, building mini piece by piece of the fins would have been easier than letting it hang lopsided while I rush to attach it to the letter. I wish they would make the chair stack sign one piece of cardboard that has the sign holders on both sides instead of trying to make it look 3D. Mine has fallen twice so far. Luckily none our suns hasn’t fallen yet.

I feel sorry for whoever has to take down the suns.
They haven't trained anybody for my job, so whoever is stuck doing this stuff is going to be flying blind.
I hope they don't get hurt.

Our sign monster told me today that she never received any training for what she does. It was more or less... here it is, go to it. You'd never know, though. She's done a fabulous job and we really appreciate her. :)

When I first started signing it was to fill in for the former signing TM because they went on a LOA and eventually quit. I didn't have any training. It was more learn on the fly. Luckily every box has instructions (yes I know some of the instructions are horrible, but at least they include something).

Back