MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

Hey all, so I've been assigned to help with signing for my stores E&E/Home Remodel. I'm suppose to document any missing signing or fixture/displays on Post Planogram Assessment sheets, as well as put up any and all signing for the sets. Our TM doing this prior is no longer with the company, apparently. I'm suppose to get some training from our dedicated Signing TM, but they have a limited availability currently.

Supposedly, I am to be allowed access to SAP soon. My STL, jokingly said, "Now you're gonna get to spend Target money."

The Remodel team is a rag tag team of volunteers. They don't seem to understand signing completely. Any Plano TM in my store can tell when signing is needed and put it up when it's available. Our Signing TM, is great at organizing it all for us. :)

So, to get me initiated into this all, I'd like some pointers on what to do with missing signing and fixtures. Our Remodel ETL and TL don't seem to have the time to deal with it and would like me to handle it. o_O

Do we wait a bit before inquiring about missing signing? Our Video Game stuff came in a different shipment from the bulk of our stuff for E&E.

Home stuff is trickling in with the regular pallets of ISM signing.

Hey all, so I've been assigned to help with signing for my stores E&E/Home Remodel. I'm suppose to document any missing signing or fixture/displays on Post Planogram Assessment sheets, as well as put up any and all signing for the sets. Our TM doing this prior is no longer with the company, apparently. I'm suppose to get some training from our dedicated Signing TM, but they have a limited availability currently.

Supposedly, I am to be allowed access to SAP soon. My STL, jokingly said, "Now you're gonna get to spend Target money."

The Remodel team is a rag tag team of volunteers. They don't seem to understand signing completely. Any Plano TM in my store can tell when signing is needed and put it up when it's available. Our Signing TM, is great at organizing it all for us. :)

So, to get me initiated into this all, I'd like some pointers on what to do with missing signing and fixtures. Our Remodel ETL and TL don't seem to have the time to deal with it and would like me to handle it. o_O

Do we wait a bit before inquiring about missing signing? Our Video Game stuff came in a different shipment from the bulk of our stuff for E&E.

Home stuff is trickling in with the regular pallets of ISM signing.

Oh jesus christ you have to deal with both the E&E AND Home Remodel? Yikes.

Re: Lamp displays / sm.app displays
Just be glad they actually came on the dedicated pallets, and not thru the regular freight.. They're sending most of our displays now in along with the regular stock freight, so flow is constantly pushing them to the floor, sending them to the backroom (who backstocks them), is constantly opening them and taking them out before I can get details on what they are, or they're just leaving them in my signing area half-opened. HUGE mistake to go on the supply chain route. They don't even have MD####'s anymore! Epically stupid.

@Flowmotion By 'remodel' do you mean just a regular reset of the POGs for Electronics/Entertainment and Home? Remodel for me is like, a super crazy event involving contractors, multiple shipping containers loaded with palletized supplies that only contractors can access, and newer store updated fixturing/gondolas, several overnights, and general mayhem apart from the normal signing mayhem.

I would just document in the best detail you can about which signing elements appear to be missing, moreso on a separate sheet instead of on those wretched awful awful post-pog assessments. The fewer of those that your regular signing TM has to look at, the better. That way, the Signing TM can go thru whatever is left over that he/she finds in the clutter, and perhaps check off from the list without having to sift thru a dozen-odd assessments to find which paper had it listed.

Example: Make a table/columns of things by POG#, item number to order (the DPCI of the sign minus any starting zeros, such as 4028888 if the DPCI is 004.02.8888), and a general guess of the description like if it is a shelftalker, etc, and then list each of those things by row under the appropriate column. If there is anything with an MD####, PP####, PX####, or similar, note that in the description or DPCI column also.

Chances are some signing and displays will not even be orderable, or will come back as backordered and you may not even get it at all, or for weeks. Chances are also that the POGs will call for fixtures that you never had or that aren't even a real thing in the catalog, so the signing TM may need to MySupport those to ask about them. Some fixtures are not allowed to be ordered by the store, even if they're cheapy things, for some mystery reason. In Workbench, hunt down Transition Communication and read the transition manuals for your sections, and also check out any Early Set Notes that might exist, for problems other stores encountered that the POGs still show uncorrected, and how to resolve them.. They may say things like, "display MD1234 won't arrive until March 2025." If you have access to Redwire, look for something called a Merchandise Update and read it, which may offer some clues about what the right hand never told the left hand to include in the other materials..

Just an FYI the post planogram assessment has been discontinued. Also, Before the new workbench kicked in, there was a planogram order form I use. I would use it to write down part numbers I need to order. I haven't been back to check if it's still there, as I just make copies.

Just an FYI the post planogram assessment has been discontinued. Also, Before the new workbench kicked in, there was a planogram order form I use. I would use it to write down part numbers I need to order. I haven't been back to check if it's still there, as I just make copies.
Post pog assessment? Never heard of it, but I think I need it in my life...

It's a paper you had to fill out every day for the pog sets you did that day. Pretty much an assessment of your work. Missing signing? Missing fixtures? Any issues with the set? Tied and dropped? The aisle(s) had to be walked with your tl and Lod and signed. Sometimes the ptl was not there that day and it was a nightmare to track down the lod to walk the aisle(s) and sign it. They were always busy and they will do it later. Later never came by. At the end of the week we would have stacks of papers not signed. Sometimes we would just make them up. We had them filed away in 3 folders: completed pog, missing signing, missing fixtures. Then the signing Tm at the time would review them and do the order. Now I have my team save all pogs and sales planners and I walk them myself and check what's missing. If the backer paper is not up at least, I get on their ass! I keep all pogs that have something missing in a plastic file tub. So when we reset and the signing or fixture is still missing, I my support it. Ppa was literally a waste of time. If we didn't have enough on our plate already. Did any one else remember filling out these assessment forms?

By 'remodel' do you mean just a regular reset of the POGs for Electronics/Entertainment and Home? Remodel for me is like, a super crazy event involving contractors, multiple shipping containers loaded with palletized supplies that only contractors can access, and newer store updated fixturing/gondolas, several overnights, and general mayhem apart from the normal signing mayhem.
Yes. This is an overnight project with contractors moving and building gondolas, redoing floor tile, and rerouting power and data cables. :)

It's a paper you had to fill out every day for the pog sets you did that day. Pretty much an assessment of your work. Missing signing? Missing fixtures? Any issues with the set? Tied and dropped? The aisle(s) had to be walked with your tl and Lod and signed. Sometimes the ptl was not there that day and it was a nightmare to track down the lod to walk the aisle(s) and sign it. They were always busy and they will do it later. Later never came by. At the end of the week we would have stacks of papers not signed. Sometimes we would just make them up. We had them filed away in 3 folders: completed pog, missing signing, missing fixtures. Then the signing Tm at the time would review them and do the order. Now I have my team save all pogs and sales planners and I walk them myself and check what's missing. If the backer paper is not up at least, I get on their ass! I keep all pogs that have something missing in a plastic file tub. So when we reset and the signing or fixture is still missing, I my support it. Ppa was literally a waste of time. If we didn't have enough on our plate already. Did any one else remember filling out these assessment forms?

I remember filling them out. Had to keep them on file for a year too.

I remember filling them out. Had to keep them on file for a year too.
Right now I get pogs on my desk that are complete while they toss ones mmissing signing. I need to make my own form they can complete...since post it's are apparently behind their ability.

So I officially interview for the Signing position on Monday. Is it different than a normal TM interview? Or is it like a TL interview?

Is it brand to leave a threating note on the fixture room door? Something along the lines of "put your sh*t away or i will find you ;)".
My pptl will lock it over the weekend so an lod has to open it....with a brand note and ap to follow up on any messes...doesn't happen often though.

Christmas set is supposed to be 100% completed in two days this year (unless they schedule pog for that Sunday), including All of the signing. Guess the backroom/fixtureroom will just be jampacked with shippers/overheads/wrapbins/trees that have to be built ahead of time the week before... lets hope the pallets aren't late.

I like that we get a white Christmas tree in the middle of seasonal this time. I did notice the set up changed a little this year. We have 2-3 smaller trees to decorate too. Last year was my first Christmas as a signing tm. I think it's one of the hardest transitions for signing. Everything was going well until I had to "fluff" the 20 something trees and make them pretty. That itself takes way too long. This year I will start early. I will start on the wrapping paper bins first and anything to build if time and space permit it. Then I'll do any hanging signing if time in between. Lastly I will start building the smaller trees first so I can deal with the bigger ones over night and the rest of the signing. How did your Christmas go last year? Any tips?

@db132: I feel after the major HQ layoffs, they sent a bunch of monkeys to replace them. That's how we get all weird, doesn't make any sense pogs. ;)

Back