MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

Early set notes that make your blood run cold.

ISSUE !! All Categories: Vertical spacing of POG are not optimal for taking into consideration the graphics and product that is in larger spacing.

No F-cking Sh-t.
Worst planagram ever.
I've had to adjust more than half the shelve to make the signs fit.

Oh Dios mio. And All Categories too, they couldn't have ****ed up just one planogram.

Early set notes that make your blood run cold.

ISSUE !! All Categories: Vertical spacing of POG are not optimal for taking into consideration the graphics and product that is in larger spacing.

No F-cking Sh-t.
Worst planagram ever.
I've had to adjust more than half the shelve to make the signs fit.

Oi oi oi got to fraken LOVE that eh? Cosmo let me die now.

So, shelving space is frak'ed to hell (no big surprise) but what was a surprise was the lack of retro-fit supplies! I mean come on people. P.P.P.P.P.P.!!!! Proper planning prevents piss poor performance! So this week's TIPP order just took a turn for the high dollar amount with 80% of the bull-nose covers needing replacement. 100% of PIXI bull-noses are so brittle we have injures just moving them (medic!!!) and three of the PIXI shelving lighting crumbling while we moved it. Yikes! Let's see (flips through mental notes).... naw, not worth it.

Most. Fun. Ever. (not really)

can you even reorder the INDIE bullnoses? i was under the impression you had to just order a whole other shelf?

can you even reorder the INDIE bullnoses? i was under the impression you had to just order a whole other shelf?

My PTL mysupported it a while back and they gave us the part number for just the bullnose. It's been a while so I don't remember the number.

The part # for just the bullnose is the first or second item on the Cosmetics Early Set Notes that got posted for this week's transition.

I've been needing the part # for my store for awhile myself.

The part # for just the bullnose is the first or second item on the Cosmetics Early Set Notes that got posted for this week's transition.

I've been needing the part # for my store for awhile myself.

I would bookmark this fixture in TIPP along with the tiny pin that connects the regular bullnose to the cosmetic shelf.

I would bookmark this fixture in TIPP along with the tiny pin that connects the regular bullnose to the cosmetic shelf.

I've gotten in the habit of just using a short viking clip minus the wing nut part to pin the bullnoses into the shelf. I don't see why they make the bullnose pins removable. It could just be permanent since the bullnose can be flexed slightly to insert/remove it. What's the point of removable pins? :huh:

Oh, question for my soon-to-be fixture room cleanup - is it safe to throw VSxxxx cosmetics fixtures away? Once they come off a past POG, they don't go back on, right? I know these fixtures are Vendor Supplied so I'd assume for new sets the Vendor ships out every new fixture that's needed, correct? I could make a lot of room in the Cosmetics section of the fixture room if I can toss the shelf and a half of old VS fixtures we have laying around....

Oh, question for my soon-to-be fixture room cleanup - is it safe to throw VSxxxx cosmetics fixtures away? Once they come off a past POG, they don't go back on, right? I know these fixtures are Vendor Supplied so I'd assume for new sets the Vendor ships out every new fixture that's needed, correct? I could make a lot of room in the Cosmetics section of the fixture room if I can toss the shelf and a half of old VS fixtures we have laying around....

This one is a little tricky. Sometimes they resend fixtures for the Boots aisle and sometimes they do not. For our last reset they sent only one new fixture and we reused the rest. Usually we toss the broken Boots fixtures, the ones that are faded and have makeup smeared all over them, and ones that we have a lot of.

we had a sign for the maybelline section that went where the mascara/eyeshadow is (pegged). I couldn't attach it and have no clue what type of fixture to use. We used the curved signing for the others that attach to the shelves, no prob. Is there a way to attach those to the pegged sections? kind of lost.
also, is there something covering the photo signs on the indie/pixi/jemma displays? ours is taped down, but have no cover, and no part number on the pog if there is supposed to be something over them. theyre gonna get demolished. cant wait until the weekenders get ahold of those displays.

we had a sign for the maybelline section that went where the mascara/eyeshadow is (pegged). I couldn't attach it and have no clue what type of fixture to use. We used the curved signing for the others that attach to the shelves, no prob. Is there a way to attach those to the pegged sections? kind of lost.
also, is there something covering the photo signs on the indie/pixi/jemma displays? ours is taped down, but have no cover, and no part number on the pog if there is supposed to be something over them. theyre gonna get demolished. cant wait until the weekenders get ahold of those displays.

As far as I can tell there are no covers for those, the only nice thing is they have replaced a lot of the old nasty samples that people used to smear all over the fixtures.

I've gotten in the habit of just using a short viking clip minus the wing nut part to pin the bullnoses into the shelf. I don't see why they make the bullnose pins removable. It could just be permanent since the bullnose can be flexed slightly to insert/remove it. What's the point of removable pins? :huh:

I would toss all of them, AFTER your boots rep audits the planogram. My rep always comes up with a big list of what fixtures she wants, then I cut it to what the planogram actually calls for. If Boots wants additional fixtures, then they need to pay for them.

Good. I'm pretty fond of tossing things. I've only regretted it once so far but that was an easy fix. My PTL and previous signing TM were pack rats though. I'm still gradually clearing out excess **** that simply doesn't need to be retained anymore. We do NOT need 5 boxes of 100 face outs for crying out loud! That's in addition to the grey bin and waco of face outs that we already have.

I've pretty much decided that everything is going in the trash as soon as this is over.
We saved stuff from the last set because we had issues with not getting what we needed and had to order things.
Of course this time we needed completely different things, so the fixtures that have been clogging up my shelves for a year are totally useless.
Just going to dump everything and start from scratch every time.
I'm sure I'll regret it but the fixture room will be neat.

Last edited:
hey, does anyone have the part number for that tiny signholder that fits on the Burt Bees lip balm ramps? Can't seem to find it anywhere.......

Hate Hate Hate Wacos in the fixture room. I ordered 10 grey bins every week until I had enough to do away with Wacos. I also readjusted all the fixture room shelves so that a grey bin barely fits in between the shelves... Took me a couple years, but I finally have the room set up where it works.

Hate Hate Hate Wacos in the fixture room. I ordered 10 grey bins every week until I had enough to do away with Wacos. I also readjusted all the fixture room shelves so that a grey bin barely fits in between the shelves... Took me a couple years, but I finally have the room set up where it works.

I was told we couldn't get the heavy duty grey bins any more.
Or were you talking about the smaller ones?

I was told we couldn't get the heavy duty grey bins any more.
Or were you talking about the smaller ones?
If this is true, I'm glad I got all I needed a couple years back. There are smaller ones?? I use some of the white narrow pfresh bins, but I didn't know there were grey ones??

Need help, we are going to go into remodel and sent people out for training but everyone has returned and said the same thing."They didn't train me to do with signing. What are we suppose to do for remodel, are we being setup to fail?" Can any one please give me a list of things they are going to have to do. Kind of a cheat sheet or something. Thanks

They need to learn how to audit a planogram. I would start by training them to highlight all the signing components on the line listing and check them off, then notate what signing is left to be put up. They need to be able to visualize where the signing is going by showing them how to locate them on the visual page.

Will your normal tm be leading the signing team?

Will have the regular signing person plus 2 others, plus another one that will just audit planos. I have been cross training alot of tm from other areas to set,as we did not get alot of people applying for any openings we have for remodel. Was wondering if any one had an overnight signing person for this or did they all stay dayside? Was first told one would do overnigh then the other 2 would be dayside but since then they changed it.

Will have the regular signing person plus 2 others, plus another one that will just audit planos. I have been cross training alot of tm from other areas to set,as we did not get alot of people applying for any openings we have for remodel. Was wondering if any one had an overnight signing person for this or did they all stay dayside? Was first told one would do overnigh then the other 2 would be dayside but since then they changed it.

Make sure you get a copy of the color book that shows all of the remodel signing, it gives a nice overview of what the final layout of the aisle is.

At my store signing went overnight, I can't imagine trying to do all of it while the store is open.

I'm very jealous of the amount of support you are getting. For my remodel I had a brand new hire as my helper with signing. Just the 2 of us were responsible for getting all fixtures & backer paper for POG people every day, doing all signing, doing all PPAs, ordering, cleaning up fixtures at the end of the night. On pallet delivery day I would get a couple of "helpers" more brand new hires that didn't know what fixtures went where.

I had 2 people helping me. The plano team replaced any carry forward signing according to their plano. They handed off the planogram, to someone I had auditing behind them, putting up any missing new signing or previous weeks carry forward signing. I had someone with me at all times, that I could gopher around.

My helper and I would organize the old signing that came down that may be used at a later date, audit left over signing every day to determine if it could be tossed, set out new signing according to what was being done for the week, put up graphics, keeping track of what the construction was doing to be sure they were putting he right fixtures in the right areas, keeping the trailers organized, and ordering anything missing after reading the backorder lists. I kept red tubs with daily signing clean and organized. A tub for endcap signing components, one for category signs, one for misc hardware. These will stay up for the entire time you are remodeling.

Do you have a strong signing person? Can they handle being under pressure? If not, I would recommend asking for help from a strong signing tm from another store. They could come once or twice a week to make sure everything is running smoothly.

Oh, can I recommend something? Separate backer paper into a separate trailer from all other signing elements. Its a huge time saver and you won't have new plano tm rooting through all the signing trying to find their back paper, messing up your signing organization.

Oh, can I recommend something? Separate backer paper into a separate trailer from all other signing elements. Its a huge time saver and you won't have new plano tm rooting through all the signing trying to find their back paper, messing up your signing organization.

Yea I had 1 container setup just for backer paper with it sorted by transition date, current week's set at the front of the container.

I also made a Powerpoint map that I could clip to the front of the container that mapped what was on each pallet. It was an overhead view of the container with each pallet assigned a number with a list of what each number corresponded to on the other.

It was much nicer looking than I can do on the forum here, but having the itemized list stuck to the front of each container made it easier when someone else would try to go in there.

Similar to this
Code:
 _____
|1   2|
|3   4|
|5   6|
|7   8|
|9  10|

1 - Decorative Home
2 - Decorative Home
3 - Market
4 - Market