MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

Is anyone else's rear seasonal spotlight signing hanging really low? I know plenty of kids are going to be jumping to smack ours and it's only going to be a matter of time before the whole thing comes down.

Is anyone else's rear seasonal spotlight signing hanging really low? I know plenty of kids are going to be jumping to smack ours and it's only going to be a matter of time before the whole thing comes down.

Mine and it up perfectly between the two focals on either end not blocking anything but it is kind of low still. Honestly it depends on your ceiling height and if you're PTL/STL decides to say anything. Here's mine
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

My left and right side straddle the gondola. I'm going to have to cut the right side to fit the tree topper display once I find it.

I'm about to run out of ceiling hooks and not even half done with overheads. I sent a mysupport and asked for a rush order. Will that work?

I just about ran out of the metal hooks after only doing the FOS, so I had to use the older plastic hooks for everything else. I really hope they hold, because the tension on some of them seemed pretty high (checklanes ropes for ex) and they were being stretched out.
Wish my store was newer so that I could put up the door clings for a big visit this week, but they are an older style unfortunately that doesn't really support them :/

Is anyone else's rear seasonal spotlight signing hanging really low?
They also hang very low at my store.. and it was about 1.5x as wide as the diagram, that it touched the top of peghooks on the endcaps on either side of whole area. On top of all that.. the diagram would only work for stores with a ceiling tile format shown, which ours isn't. The only way to hang it properly by the solid rows with that many on a row at a time was to space them twice as far away as called for..

I swear that thing was designed by no engineer I've ever known. The whole thing could have been supported by like, 2 wires, but no, each piece needed 3 wires each. I mean really, one wire per LETTER on wondershop? What are they drinking in Minnesota? They could have spent $30 for each store to get a clear acrylic bar bar to hang them on for support which required only 3 wires tops per entire stretch, for as much hours they paid me to figure out their BS.

Pretty much blew my entire supply of wiring just on the spotlight thing. Hope I don't need any for oh, say, anywhere else! Stupidly designed, stupid choice of materials, and hideous instructions. Quit telling me which lengths to use. They're color coded. Just tell me if it's the blue one or whatever. I don't need to know lengths. /rant

Well my store's seasonal floorpad looks completely different... I wonder if its set wrong? I was about to take a picture today when my phone died. :( I'll post a picture tomorrow to get yall's opinion.

The length is very helpful if you run out of one of the colors so you can math it out. Like when I ran out of 30"s and needed to start useing a 12+18.

Mine and it up perfectly between the two focals on either end not blocking anything but it is kind of low still. Honestly it depends on your ceiling height and if you're PTL/STL decides to say anything. Here's mine
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Looking at that pic it makes sense why it hangs so low. My seasonal area isn't set up like that with focals on each side though. I ended up adjusting every cable shorter by 6 inches so it wasn't quite as reachable.

Well my store's seasonal floorpad looks completely different... I wonder if its set wrong? I was about to take a picture today when my phone died. :( I'll post a picture tomorrow to get yall's opinion.
Mine is too. We have two "L" shaped tables for the trees behind the ornament displays, instead of in the next aisle over. Our rear seasonal is a few aisles smaller than other stores though.

I'm about to run out of ceiling hooks and not even half done with overheads. I sent a mysupport and asked for a rush order. Will that work?
:p:p:p:p:p:p:D:D:D

Doubtful.

I kept my plastic ones and ebbed up using plenty last Christmas as well as this one.
The length is very helpful if you run out of one of the colors so you can math it out. Like when I ran out of 30"s and needed to start useing a 12+18.
My storage boxes are each labeled with color and size. I'm cool like that.

I think I'll have just enough clips to be able to finish, almost exactly enough.

We have gotten calls from other stores asking for some, but thankfully my ETL has told them all no.

I can't believe they expected stores to have enough cables to hang all of this crap (Especially the FOS Overhead, which probably uses more wires than any single Overhead in recent memory.)

My ETL asked if I ordered new hooks because tons of stores are running out. I said yes. Luckily I had plastic hooks from before and we were able to use those for the lighter signs, heavy stuff gets the metal cables. Hopefully they come in before I have to hang the other FOS on green side.

I think I'll have just enough clips to be able to finish, almost exactly enough.

We have gotten calls from other stores asking for some, but thankfully my ETL has told them all no.

I can't believe they expected stores to have enough cables to hang all of this crap (Especially the FOS Overhead, which probably uses more wires than any single Overhead in recent memory.)

I ran out of 30" and 36" cables halfway through hanging FOS. So I improvised to fake it out. I am going to try using the plastic hooks to hang the remaining overheads tomorrow.

I agree, they should have sent more cables with the signing this year. I placed orders for the max amount allowed on SAP today for all cable lengths and spider clips.

I ran out of 30" and 36" cables halfway through hanging FOS. So I improvised to fake it out. I am going to try using the plastic hooks to hang the remaining overheads tomorrow.

I agree, they should have sent more cables with the signing this year. I placed orders for the max amount allowed on SAP today for all cable lengths and spider clips.
I've been ordering more since they sent them last year. They backorder immediately and come oft two months later...max is like one bag of each (or was initially at least). I think I've managed two of each size in a year. Post set notes say order more...no shit...but send what I order.

I've been ordering more ever time I place a sap order. Some moron tossed out a bunch I had. Thanks. Probly my amazing tl. I still have all my plastic ones from the plaid monsters... thank god!!! Can't wait till all this crap is put up.

I didn't even try to use the cables on the FOS; I just used all of the plastic OneUps I kept from prior years. Even doing that, I was able to eliminate several points where hangers were even called for -- making my own holes into the midsections of the joined-up glitter-circle sections so they would balance, freed up lots of others to use elsewhere.

I refuse to even put up the OH for A&A and the spotlight portion of the FOS.. that thing is nothing shy of a random guillotine. That grippy strip that is supposed to hole up the clear spotlight-looking signage is pure-and-simple a deathtrap waiting to happen. Those things barely even hold up vertical fins properly, much less 10-20lb of scalping death action that I would not doubt one bit if someone's ear gets sliced off from that thing falling onto them. Half of ours fell down while I was trying to connect the other piece -- it didn't even last 10 minutes up, and the LOD said to just skip it since it seemed way too dangerous.

This whole OH set, is one bizarre engineering trainwreck after another.

I put my FOS up. I almost hope it falls and barely misses someone. Too elaborate. Too time consuming.

I almost used a hole punch in it instead of using the grippers. But why?? If it falls, I can just thrown it away.

Anyone with dual front entrances know if there will be one of those stupid marquee things for each entrance?

Anyone with dual front entrances know if there will be one of those stupid marquee things for each entrance?
Our store has dual. We were supposed to have one for each but my gracious STL said to not bother with green side entrance. Weird.

Did anyone else have issues with the instructions for nearly all the overheads? I even teamed up with my old signing TM and we both were tearing our hair out. I don't even know what's going on with my directionals. I triple checked the cable lengths. I followed instructions. None of them worked right. I know I'm not the brightest star, but hot damn. My FOS is holding up. I think the spotlights at the ends of the plastic helps support them.

I've been ordering more since they sent them last year. They backorder immediately and come oft two months later...max is like one bag of each (or was initially at least). I think I've managed two of each size in a year. Post set notes say order more...no shit...but send what I order.

When I ordered 2 days ago max amount said 5 bags of six cables each. But I doubt anyone will get them soon since we are all ordering them right now. I have been ordering extras on the side too so I was floored when I ran out of almost every single length. Think I have a handful of 18" and 2 12" left. But plenty of plastic hooks still! LOL

I don't understand that lack of consistency in how these hang this year. Half are on those stupid channels and half are with folded plastic. Couldn't make up your mind, Spot?

On another note, while hanging my Home OH I noticed a couple spider clips still stuck to the ceiling. With the original metal cables from 2 years ago. The ones that poked multiple holes in your fingers as you tried to open/close them. :p

Did anyone else have issues with the instructions for nearly all the overheads? I even teamed up with my old signing TM and we both were tearing our hair out. I don't even know what's going on with my directionals. I triple checked the cable lengths. I followed instructions. None of them worked right. I know I'm not the brightest star, but hot damn. My FOS is holding up. I think the spotlights at the ends of the plastic helps support them.

The instructions were god awful for this campaign's overheads. The cable lengths were inconsistent from their reference point. Sometimes it was the ceiling, other times it was from some other sign and it wasn't obvious when they were doing that. Also there were a few spots the lengths were just outright wrong, for example the directionals it showed one side the same length between a 13' and 14' ceiling, but everything else changed. Another problem was the mini-seasonal overhead, the lengths they gave us for Bullseye's body didn't work at all so I had to adjust it a few times until it looked right.

Very sloppy all around.

Back