MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

What he said. Not only that, but every danged frame I had to tape together because the glue was all dried out and did not stick the pieces of cardboard together. I spent more time taping this stuff together than I did putting it up. What a crappy job. I preferred the ones from last time better.

And speaking of the last time...Dear Target, stop trying to make The Shops happen. It's not going to unless it's a big name designer like Missoni. Nobody was lining up nor were they remotely interested in what we had today...don't think we sold anything this morning.

None of mine required tape? Just tabbed the top together. I was thinking all morning about how much easier it was over last year.

Yeah, The Shops had some pretty boring stuff. :boredom:

My signing guy told me there was no overhead signing for the shops. I told him there was,. His answer was next week. Then I found the after he had lleft. Thanks to all in signing here, for advance info!

Last edited:
Anybody else not get all the boxes they needed for the Halloween set?
We didn't get a couple of pretty important ones and it's put a major crimp in things.

we didnt either. and it didnt help that they were all labeled the same thing. was missing our hat holders, finally found them in with the "avengers" endcaps stuff!!! how was that remotely related??

did all stores receive the "fence" punchouts for the top of the aisles? we got the trees for the ends, but we were on the no overheads/cse list. i didnt see anything on the fence stuff, but it's in all the pics and our seasonal area is ugly. we also didn't get the large tree display and the majority of the displays on the lighting aisle and the round bins for webs. anyone else having this problem?

Some stores will not get CSE panels. They say it is based on your adjacency setup and whether or not your rails line up in the center of Mini and the Flat. (which is total BS since our Mini lines up perfectly, and we didn't receive that, yet we got one for the flat when we don't even have rails behind our flat and i have been hanging our CSE continually via 6" ceiling clips). our fence punch-outs only went in the holiday lighting aisle (i think seven fence pieces total - we only needed 6). all our lighting displays are mixed in with the palletized product. we actually got 4 endcap trees - which was great that they said you can just pick them, until later i found out that Avengers and Girls Princess both had toppers (but somehow our avengers header went missing - seems we have a comic book thief) - so makeup endcap it goes to. our adjacency has them on our small gondolas but they don't scan for there so i'm assuming they are just sprinkling the signing this year - it is way less than years past. also the table setups seem much simpler this year as well. what round bins are you missing?

Our store received all the Halloween signing. They did mix a lot of the signing in the boxes. Luckily last week I opened all the boxes and organized everything inside them. Received three trees, two for rear seasonal and one for mini. All of our displays came off the truck and were mixed in with the stage pallets. We found the last one that we were missing yesterday. I believe the round bins they are missing are the bins to hold the spider webbing.

Terrible instructions on the haunted house. Come on ISM, missing steps and the micro photos is inexcusable. POORLY labeled boxes is a fail also.

I didn't get CSE, but my haunted house hangs in front of them, so that is understandable. I didn't get the gates, so I guess I'm one of the stores that wasn't supposed to get them.

I only received 1 mirror instead of 2. I have a 24' gondola flanking each side of the flat. I recieved exactly 7 pieces of fencing for the gondola tops. ??? I guess I'll put 3 on one and 4 on the other???

Not happy with the HQ bozo who planned the Halloween set this year. Its been issue after issue.

^
This!

Whoever decided that one of those houses should hang by one hook should have their heads examined.
I've had signs that weighed half as much with five hooks so this doesn't make any sense at all.

^
This!

Whoever decided that one of those houses should hang by one hook should have their heads examined.
I've had signs that weighed half as much with five hooks so this doesn't make any sense at all.

EXACTLY! Did you read in the instructions where they insist that they only want you to use one hook and only if you really really think it needs it, to add another?

Shoot, I put 3 hooks in each hole.

What takes the cake is the instructions have you putting all 3 sections together, and use 2 people to hang. HUH? Really ?

I hung each separately, THEN put them together. I still busted hooks along the way..

I haven't even had a minute to look at next weeks work. Hopefully I have the time tomorrow to at least clean up after planos mayhem.

Our ENTIRE back wall, and both sides of a 24' gondola are still full of BTS clearance, so we can't set those yet.

One hook each... oh god that is so funny. It took about 5 brain cells to realize that sign cannot be supported with 1 hook in each hole. HQ too fuuny. The ammount of errors/mistakes coming at this time from them is rather surprising and more frequent than I'd like.

we have back wall + gondola left of BTS, plus a valley of toy/spgoods clearance to work in next week. i'm really dreading shoes. i could build a road to mars made out of clearance shoes.

I am lucky, our store did not get the houses. But did anyone elses' trees start falling forward or backward? I took fishing line and looped it through the ceiling tile metal to hold them up straight. I wish they would have nade them out of stiffer material.

Also, does anyone else have that huge infant drum? Mine snapped the ceiling clips yesterday and fell. I would have loved throw it away, but I out it back up.

Yea, we have it the drum.
I haven't had any problem with it, once I got it up which was a serious pain in the tuchus.

So far the trees haven't been a problem either, knock on virtual wood.

our trees are holding up so far. Question: where did everyone's shelfliner go? i thought it went in the accessories run, but the plano team returned it to me 3 days after the set saying "it doesn't scan". with no planos in sight i'm just guessing now. for the house, i put up each house one by one and attached them later. i used one hook on each fully expecting the whole thing to snap immediately and perform some signing triage. nothing happened so we will play it by ear and see if it survived the weekend. ours is in front of our CSE. between the gates, the house the cse, and the way the flat is arranged it just doesn't look like it is centered (because nothing is). oh well. i received 7 sheets of the fence paper as well. not quite enough for our mini gondolas (which were set when i wasn't in store anyway, and i don't have time to take off all the peghooks and backer paper to put these up after the fact either). i put it up over the lighting gondola instead (6 sections). also we have a grand total of maybe 3 lighting displays - so that is looking bare for sure. did everyone do the varying height tables? sometimes i feel like i am the only one who reads the packets/visual adjacencies.

did everyone else get the preprinted 3x5s for the shoes set? they sent them since our systems won't print them with the QR codes on them. i wonder if this will be easier to put up since we don't have to print them, or harder since it is every sign in one stack and not by plano.....

did anyone else get a new package for boys denim? no one at my store is aware of plano changes that went for this but the signs say to set immediately? did fitness already. shoes and maybe trim if we get rid of all the clearance product back in seas. haven't even gotten a chance to look at what else might be next week. also - did everyone have fixtures to put up the Return Policy signs for costumes? It said something on the instructions about a fixture to make it work with a peghook? i was in a rush so i used bikewall 3x5 signholders in the meanwhile so that they would be up for the weekend.

did everyone else get the preprinted 3x5s for the shoes set? they sent them since our systems won't print them with the QR codes on them. i wonder if this will be easier to put up since we don't have to print them, or harder since it is every sign in one stack and not by plano.....

did anyone else get a new package for boys denim? no one at my store is aware of plano changes that went for this but the signs say to set immediately? did fitness already. shoes and maybe trim if we get rid of all the clearance product back in seas. haven't even gotten a chance to look at what else might be next week. also - did everyone have fixtures to put up the Return Policy signs for costumes? It said something on the instructions about a fixture to make it work with a peghook? i was in a rush so i used bikewall 3x5 signholders in the meanwhile so that they would be up for the weekend.

Got the big stack of 3x5s for shoes. Its going to be a pain typing in all the DPCIs to find where they go.

Boys denim changed a few words on the panels for the denim wall. Only a few changed at my store. For the return policy I just put up a peghook and taped in to the label holder. The instructions say to use the 3x5 holder that they used to use for ad signs, but our store threw all those a way when they changed the format.

One hook each... oh god that is so funny. It took about 5 brain cells to realize that sign cannot be supported with 1 hook in each hole. HQ too fuuny. The ammount of errors/mistakes coming at this time from them is rather surprising and more frequent than I'd like.

I think they are relying on the manufacturers weight allowance on the hooks instead of what the stores are telling them. (heck, what do we know, right?)

The OneUp hooks, even new, aren't holding the weight they used to when we first started using them. Now I don't trust them at all. I won't allow anyone near me when hanging and even then, I give the sign a push to make sure a hook doesnt POP. All it takes is one to break and then its like dominoes. I don't want to live with a heavy sign crashing to the ground and hurting someone.

http://topfunny.com/win/sign-almost-falls-on-guy-video_70b1edf75.html

Last edited:
I used all new hooks and had one snap as I put it up.
My problem is the house is directly behind the air vents so it rocks back and forth, it's killing me.

ugh, i have a P-Fresh directional pryamid right next to an air vent, does the same thing. also whenever the boys focal has an overhead.......goes right next to the airvent...........just keep telling yourself it is supposed to be animated......

I haven't had to do this at this store, but did at the last store I was at. I could twist the air vent blades to send the air away from my sign. Are any of your vents movable?

There is also a clear plastic shield that your sft can order and install around the vent that might help.

I am lucky, our store did not get the houses. But did anyone elses' trees start falling forward or backward? I took fishing line and looped it through the ceiling tile metal to hold them up straight. I wish they would have nade them out of stiffer material.

Also, does anyone else have that huge infant drum? Mine snapped the ceiling clips yesterday and fell. I would have loved throw it away, but I out it back up.

Drum of death. Managed to double hook it all, and it's holding for now. Mine is over a 40" deep low gondola (2 sides), real PITA to get above.

our trees are holding up so far. Question: where did everyone's shelfliner go? i thought it went in the accessories run, but the plano team returned it to me 3 days after the set saying "it doesn't scan". with no planos in sight i'm just guessing now. for the house, i put up each house one by one and attached them later. i used one hook on each fully expecting the whole thing to snap immediately and perform some signing triage. nothing happened so we will play it by ear and see if it survived the weekend. ours is in front of our CSE. between the gates, the house the cse, and the way the flat is arranged it just doesn't look like it is centered (because nothing is). oh well. i received 7 sheets of the fence paper as well. not quite enough for our mini gondolas (which were set when i wasn't in store anyway, and i don't have time to take off all the peghooks and backer paper to put these up after the fact either). i put it up over the lighting gondola instead (6 sections). also we have a grand total of maybe 3 lighting displays - so that is looking bare for sure. did everyone do the varying height tables? sometimes i feel like i am the only one who reads the packets/visual adjacencies.

Shelf liner doesn't scan, but the Audit Tool states it goes on "Giveaways" pog along with cardboard dividers that you need to canoe clip into the shelf. Have fun!

Back