MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

So does anybody else have the 'don't do put shelves upside-down' rule?
About a year ago the memo went out to the SFT's that all the shelves had to be attached to the wall and couldn't be stored in the air unless they were hooked up.
It's been a stone b i t c h to fit every thing when the switch outs occur.

When I first read about that memo here, my SFT and I looked for it--sure enough, a memo about shelf storage had just come out, but it did NOT say anything at all about that. It just said that any spines installed for shelf storage had to be anchored properly to the walls (no just screwing them into plasterboard, basically), and that things had to kept "neat and safe." Granted, the example picture did not show any shelves upside down, but it showed a fixture room that was about two and a half times the size of mine, so of course they wouldn't have needed to store them that way. There was absolutely positively nothing that said you couldn't do it, though, as long as the spines were securely mounted and you kept it safe.

Maybe there was something different in other regions or districts, as that's always possible, but my SFT even ran it up to his DFM to be sure we were okay. :shrug:

Problem I've had with using the pegboard is sagging over time.

If you mean pegs themselves sagging from the weight, not much you can do--but if you meant the pegboard itself sagging, you can order some of the reinforcement bars they use on the battery POG in Electronics. I seem to recall they cost next to nothing when we did it. Alternatively, in a pinch you can just throw up 4' safety bars in the smallest bracket; you'll still get sagging, but it can only come an inch or so before it hits the bar.

Last edited:
I forgot to chime in on the shelf storage in my last reply. Went over it with my sft as well, and it said nothing in regards to flipping shelves. Just that the shelf brackets needed to mount to wood and not into bare drywall.

Also we hang our softlines shelves. I just added extra brackets actually to get all the short and odd lengths into the wall as well.

Thanks! Greydot!!

I feel so much better about our shelving now. Ours is neat so I don't have anything to worry about.

Our Bounce-back visit is tomorrow.

For once, my signing room was clean. Finding stuff for anyone, good luck. Can anyone send a pic for sl? They are laughing at me for access in signing room.

ok... more org questions. we run a really solid process, but im having a hard time keeping all my paperwork the way i want it.
we have a magnetic binder on the tub. one for ppas and one for the follow up forms. we fill them out every pog, i audit at the end of the sets, then signing will take them the next week and do all the ordering. keeping them on the tub ensures the team actually does them. then they get filed into a filing cabinet by month. each month has a folder for ppas, follow up, tipp orders, early set notes, trans communication, sf loc acc (worked), monthly signing report (worked). the idea was if we needed to review something that we set we could find it easily (and prove we were actually working the reports). would it be easier by department, or maybe separated by each type of item instead of by month? sorting it by month also helps when we go to trash it, we just grab the folder from the year before and dump it.
the adjacency calendar, maps, etc. are in another binder so i can grab them and go when i need to pretie and no sf tm run off with my maps. it usually stays on my desk all of the time, under penalty of zoning cosmetics. when i set it with the rest of our supplies, it disappears to some etl's office.
i just feel like it's a lot to keep up with and needs to be streamlined somehow. O, wonderful poggies/signing ninjas, lend me your brains :D

PPAs, i cant speak to since the team doesnt fill them out, and myself and the ptl dont have the time. Personally i just set up a drawer for all the transition info that i personally get because literally everyone in the store loses the paperwork but me. I have mine set up by department. I have really limited space - think 6-10" of files worth. So i have a hanging folder for 1)ABC, 2) DEF, 3) Seasonal, 4) Softlines, 5)Grocery. In each hanging folder there is a series of tabbed folders; Early Set Notes/Message Boards, Transition Packets/Visual Adjacencies, Adjacencies, MySupports/Issues, TIPP Orders. In that order. I basically put everything in there after im done with it. If im proactive i will make adjacency copies and put them here early on. This is mainly an archival system since anything current i basically need to have on me or stowed safely in a secret location.

**edit** i dont account for purging. I just make sure that the newest is in the back of the folders and can purge from the front when/if needed.

Last edited:
Anyone in NIT Transition yet? I still dont have a pallet with all the infants ISM on it and i am dying on the inside. Any big issues, or things to warn me that cant be set without the new ISM?

We start on it tomorrow, IMPACT came in on Friday to build the furniture they are supposed to do but of course we didn't have everything.
Of the three pieces we didn't have one came in today.
I still have a pallet and a half worth of stuff to put together.
Granted much of it is car seats and the like but still there are four days left and they cut my hours for next week.

Anyone in NIT Transition yet? I still dont have a pallet with all the infants ISM on it and i am dying on the inside. Any big issues, or things to warn me that cant be set without the new ISM?

we've set almost everything, and went ahead and set the bedding for next week. we're gonna hit the furniture wall probably tomorrow. signing was pretty easy. all backer is carry forward except section 1 on the carrier (eddie bauer/bjorn/etc.) aisle. the first section gets displays and a solid piece to go up top. the headers are randomly replaced except for just one year (all new). new holders and ism inserts for the jungle gyms. the ism/strips for the monitors don't match up exactly the way you think they should. new dump bins on the toy aisle using fencing. you should receive shelf liner for them as well. i forgot to put it on and had to rip them back off lol... super easy this go round, although we do have some backer that looks horrible and i wish they would've sent some replenishment on it.
did you guys have any issues with mini? how long did it take to set and with how many? i worked in a different area with my newbies today, and i was curious as why it took so long for my team to set. they had it cleared in 20 minutes. i didn't see anything during prep that looked difficult. i figured the push would hang us as always (around 17 pallets here). but they really struggled with the set.

Set furniture, strollers, and about 6 aisles of NIT. Finishing up later this week. And if you haven't heard already, some displays will be coming in late.

We start tomorrow. Already have the displays built except for the displays coming in late. Don't forget to take down the big drum (I hate that sign, its a pain to hang) that hangs over Infants. Its in the transition manual and also in the early set notes to take down and toss.

We start tomorrow. Already have the displays built except for the displays coming in late. Don't forget to take down the big drum (I hate that sign, its a pain to hang) that hangs over Infants. Its in the transition manual and also in the early set notes to take down and toss.

YEAH!! I am almost in tears every time I have to hang that thing.

Mini signing for the most part very easy. For my store, 3 bins, 5 outriggers, mini gondola side pieces, & the hardest part was building the hot air balloon. Instructions were poor. I think it may have taken me about an hour because there is a part of the instructions that was unclear to me, so I had to redo once I started to put the sections together and realized my mistake. Pretty cute when its done though.

Plano team took 3 people 3 hours to actually set mini. I think taking down all the arms, swapping shelves, and the usual, having to actually think when setting a reverse planogram when using individual labels instead of strips is why it took them that long.

Last edited:
It was so great to kill that drum.
Such a sense of satisfaction, I just can't tell you.

Set the infant furniture focal minus a few that we still have to build.
Have to say that whoever drew the map did an excellent job, probably the best I've seen since I started this job.
It was quick, easy and made sense, things so rarely found on planograms, especially the infant focal.
So, thank you whoever you are.

Oh good! We start on Thursday. I honestly Love setting infants. Its so hard to maintain the department when so much is clearance.

I set the side of Baby Gear with cribs and high chairs today and I was missing some "crib kiosk". It was listed in section 2 as SIGN HEADER Crib Kiosk something. I was missing it and a bunch of signing that was evidently supposed to be with it (couple of shelftalkers and takeaway signs other than the ones that I did have from a different box). My signing guy didn't seem to have any idea what it was nor did he remember seeing any ISM boxes for Baby Gear other than the one I took which had all the display shelftalkers. I'm off tomorrow, so in the extremely likely event that no one follows up on it tomorrow and I end up having to do it on Thursday, what exactly is this crib kiosk thing? Is it a display or some kind of signing that needs to be built?

I just started signing officially today for our store- I have been in plano for a year, and b/r and flow before that. Unfortunately for me, the signing position has been "open" for almost a month, so the whole signing area is filled with things that should go out, should be tossed, and things I have no idea what they are. The fixture room (as usual) is a COMPLETE MESS. Our store has a very hard time respecting the fixture room! Our previous signing guy didn't take care of it at all- our ptl and plano tried to keep up with it. Earlier this year, I took care of it for our Remodel as Fixture Captain. So, even after that position dissolved, people (mostly etls) expected me to keep it clean, and almost EVERY tl (excluding ptl) bothers me still to find anything. (even though everything is labeled, and sorted into sections per Targets fixture room map from workbench. One big problem is ours is very small, and has to encompass part of signing within it (except for a small section on the tv-backstock area), and with the added pFresh, is bursting at the seams. (even with me gutting the fixture room at the beginning of remodel and throwing A LOT of things away-and dating everything else.)

The peg wall given for fencing has parts that have completely TORN down/apart. I have a section I can hang the shorter wire fencing; but right now the 3' and 4' sections are just in carts and tubs shoved in there. Our store does not have an SFT; we are sharing one with another store, and he seems reluctant to give any kind of ideas on how to remedy this- he offered to put more pegboard up, but I am sure it will end the same way. I can't put it on magnabars or anything, because it is not considered "a reinforced wall" Any ideas??? Also, I'm freaking out a little bit because I've some idea what I'm doing, so I must appear like I know what I'm doing- everyone is pulling me in 50 different directions! (And I'm panicking because I barely know what I'm doing.) We also have no signing cart, and our stl made it pretty clear he didn't want one in the store- does anybody have anything other they use that works for them?? Right now I just take a 3-tier from b/r and empty it everyday (which wastes time). (Sorry this is so long!)

I would start out by asking for training at another store.
They might balk at the idea but you have the right to be properly trained by someone who cares about doing the job correctly.
It will give you a bit of a break and a chance to get some ideas on how to handle things.
Also you will have somebody to network with in case the dreck hits the air conditioning.
Don't take no for an answer.

The Mule had a genius set up that I stole where he got some of the parts for the Signing cart and used one of the tubs.
I call mine the Signing Tank.

The fifty different directions thing seems to be part of the job.
If you really need to get something done, leave your walkie on channel 4.

I know you don't want to give up area for your shelving but we use the peg bars for seasonal and hang up the wire fencing that way.
The shouldn't be run into a non supported wall, that's against code.

I'm not signing, but I was walking past the fixture room the other week and could not believe how clean it was. So I took a picture! Just felt like sharing:

img1078u.jpg

OMG I am so jealous. ANNND You have so much room! What do you have in your wire baskets?? Do you have your 3' and 4' wire fencing in there??????

Last edited:
This is random, but I had to set some of the mini-seas today, and two endcaps were godiva and mickey mouse vday.... I put the bins together... but I could not find the headers? Since I just filled our signing position, people have just been ripping the signing pallets open and not checking anything in for three weeks... I spent most of today trying to organize and find what needed to go out, but I could NOT find those signs... anybody remember if they were supposed to be in the box with the bins? (the box they were in was pryed open already...)

OMG I am so jealous. ANNND You have so much room! What do you have in your wire baskets?? Do you have your 3' and 4' wire fencing in there??????

Which ones are the wire baskets? Lol see I know little about signing. As for the wire fencing, we have some of the smaller ones in the 2 bins below that fencing wall, as well as some of the long ones down the right aisle in the picture, 2nd section, 2nd shelf.

@ HM, what do you mean by the email? What did it say?

Which ones are the wire baskets? Lol see I know little about signing. As for the wire fencing, we have some of the smaller ones in the 2 bins below that fencing wall, as well as some of the long ones down the right aisle in the picture, 2nd section, 2nd shelf.

@ HM, what do you mean by the email? What did it say?
This. Per commie!
So does anybody else have the 'don't do put shelves upside-down' rule?
About a year ago the memo went out to the SFT's that all the shelves had to be attached to the wall and couldn't be stored in the air unless they were hooked up.
It's been a stone b i t c h to fit every thing when the switch outs occur.
My signing guy has no clue at all. I love your signing room! Well labeled too.

Last edited:
Back