MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

How heavy is that infants drum overhead? Im so burned out atm pulled in every direction with our walk coming up i just want to hit it with my pole like a piñata

I guess I was one of the few lucky people that had someone to help them take it down. I couldn't imagine trying to do that on your own. Yuck.

Yeah, try putting it up by yourself ;) That was me last time the drum refreshed.

My drum stayed together when I took it down- I unhooked it one at a time, and it hung by one until I could get the wave underneath it and "brought'er down gently" lol. It was fun rolling it to the compactor. :) Also put the sippy cups pog up myself- saw it in the pile, and claimed it, knowing our plano would not be able to understand and do it "correctly". I didn't have any serious issues with the strips not staying in- seemed pretty tight (this time around, a few more sets and they will be worthless.)

How heavy is that infants drum overhead? Im so burned out atm pulled in every direction with our walk coming up i just want to hit it with my pole like a piñata

I guess I was one of the few lucky people that had someone to help them take it down. I couldn't imagine trying to do that on your own. Yuck.

Yeah, try putting it up by yourself ;) That was me last time the drum refreshed.

And then move it over five feet because the ETL decided it wasn't centered 'just right'?
Happened to me.

Oh, I have done it before by myself. Putting a 5' ladder and straddling a raised infant flat, then climbing up in the center of the drum and hanging it. Cursing all the while... This last time, over the new innovation flat, I had my fav etl helping. He would hold one pole, while I hook, hook, then trade, hook hook. All the while worrying I might mess up and kill him.
I'm always sure I'm going to kill someone. ;)

Greydot< I got infant signage for another store on my pallet. If I could find 5 minutes, I should email them and tell them where their JOY signs are.

When you check online packing list, does it show you received that pallet? I got one pallet completely full of infants signage and just a couple boxes for next week.

Oh, I have done it before by myself. Putting a 5' ladder and straddling a raised infant flat, then climbing up in the center of the drum and hanging it. Cursing all the while... This last time, over the new innovation flat, I had my fav etl helping. He would hold one pole, while I hook, hook, then trade, hook hook. All the while worrying I might mess up and kill him.
I'm always sure I'm going to kill someone. ;)

Greydot< I got infant signage for another store on my pallet. If I could find 5 minutes, I should email them and tell them where their JOY signs are.

When you check online packing list, does it show you received that pallet? I got one pallet completely full of infants signage and just a couple boxes for next week.

Online packslip will tell you what was picked and packed for your store. The date on there should be the date it was sent or sealed. However to track it you ill need your 20 digit container id number from the weekly non retail supply list. This only has dates and container id numbers and nothing really to connect it to your HAWB or online packslip, so you basically just have to guess by dates. Its a nightmare.

If you ever get someone elses pallet you can just clearly mark it with the correct store numbers and sweep it back to the dc. If it is just a few boxes you can partner with receiving and have it fed exed over.

To directly answer your question though, no. Online packslip will show up before you receive a pallet (i used to be able to check it on fridays to preview what i wqs walking into on monday). I am still not sure on the container ID situation since it was never explained if that correlated to what your store was supposed to get or what you did get -ie if it correlates to when the seals were applied or removed. I would guess it is applied. Even with all thatt all you can really do att
thaat point is mysupport a missing weekly non retail form to track and cross your fingers. After all that all they could say for mine is that the dc lost it which i would assume means got put on the wrong container and sent to the wrong store who probably either ignored or tossed it.

Which brings up- i think there has been more stuff sent to the wrong stores more in the last six months than the last three years.

To directly answer your question though, no. Online packslip will show up before you receive a pallet (i used to be able to check it on fridays to preview what i wqs walking into on monday). I am still not sure on the container ID situation since it was never explained if that correlated to what your store was supposed to get or what you did get -ie if it correlates to when the seals were applied or removed. I would guess it is applied. Even with all thatt all you can really do att
thaat point is mysupport a missing weekly non retail form to track and cross your fingers. After all that all they could say for mine is that the dc lost it which i would assume means got put on the wrong container and sent to the wrong store who probably either ignored or tossed it.

Which brings up- i think there has been more stuff sent to the wrong stores more in the last six months than the last three years.

This. Not to mention the amount of duplicates I receive or missing boxes. I've never had to do so many mysupports for missing cartons from the pallet (it's gotten worse, I agree with you on that). The first thing I do now is check to see that the packing slip is for our store before anything else. My training and trainer's modus operandi was to just dive into the pallet and start breaking it down. Now I've gotten smarter as I've gained more experience with the signing position. I check off everything as I sort through the pallet. After missing 20 boxes for a set, no more.

I also email the store that has their pallet at my store (or supplies that they've ordered, I just use the email addresses on the packing slip or send directly to the STL of the store), to let them know. It was fun getting stuff for a different store during our remodel that we couldn't use.

I send out an email with what is missing, and the amount of *****ing about missing signing/backer paper/"i can't find it!" complaints have decreased. Or maybe people just don't care anymore.

Has anybody else had issues with poorly stacked pallets? I've had several tip over, shrinkwrapped whole, due to the load not being distributed evenly. My favorite was the pallet that was so high, that it didn't fit through the backroom doors, and we had to take off several boxes right there during the trailer unload process. Or the one time they put a "heavy: team lift" sticker on a huge, heavy box, on top of a 6 foot high pallet. That was fun to take off and discover crushed signing boxes underneath.

Last edited:
I just get the famous big rectangle box instead of being stood up and then wraped its on its side both edges crysh and folded then shrink wrapped, how my infants pallet was

Happens all the time.
Sometimes I think there is a competition to see how bad a job they can do on the ISM pallet.
The oversized are the worst.
Not sure who builds those but I think they do it from across the room and wear a blindfold.

Happens all the time.
Sometimes I think there is a competition to see how bad a job they can do on the ISM pallet.
The oversized are the worst.
Not sure who builds those but I think they do it from across the room and wear a blindfold.

Between the poor packing and the flow team we have, I have to check on Mondays/Wednesdays with the flow team to *remind* them that the signing pallet shouldn't just be bent in half to get out-We've had to take some of it apart to get it out of the trailer--- Which makes me wonder HOW they are getting it into the trailer!!?

My current problem is we have an ETL who will tell me not to check it in, and go do something else, and when I come back in to check it in, he has torn into it to get salesplan boxes and left it a gigantic mess, and obviously, missing boxes. (He also decided one weekend I was not there that all the 9" peghooks should no longer be in the large gray bins, but instead in a garbage can. Grr.)

Between the poor packing and the flow team we have, I have to check on Mondays/Wednesdays with the flow team to *remind* them that the signing pallet shouldn't just be bent in half to get out-We've had to take some of it apart to get it out of the trailer--- Which makes me wonder HOW they are getting it into the trailer!!?

My current problem is we have an ETL who will tell me not to check it in, and go do something else, and when I come back in to check it in, he has torn into it to get salesplan boxes and left it a gigantic mess, and obviously, missing boxes. (He also decided one weekend I was not there that all the 9" peghooks should no longer be in the large gray bins, but instead in a garbage can. Grr.)
Sorry to hear.
As crazy making as my ETL's are (and lately its been pretty bad), I'm occasionally floored by posts from some of my partners in pain.
Put all the peg hooks in a garbage can... my what a wonderful idea, what will he think of next?
Maybe it's best just not to ask.

I'm not signing, but I was walking past the fixture room the other week and could not believe how clean it was. So I took a picture! Just felt like sharing:

img1078u.jpg

The items in their wire baskets are the softlines bars.

BTW, where do you keep the softlines shelves?

Same prototype as mine, so you have another entire aisle, right? I have moved everything signing into that aisle. Where you see the signing here is where I hung the chrome bars and then hang my softlines bars & fencing.

Show this picture & study it well. the bins were located with fixtures, at one point per best practice.

Last edited:
**Sippy Cups. How in the heck do I put up all those strips? I saw that they were all shelf strips, then looked at the wall of pegs, and said heck with it, I'll do that last.

I didn't take the time to figure it out, but was hoping one of you set this aisle already and could save me the time. :)

I used some extra toothbrush peg strip signholders, it worked much better.

Of course it did! That made sense. Flipping a shelf strip holder upside down was silly.

Could you do everyone a favor and post the part number for the toothbrush signholder?

I'll do my best to try and remember to do that the next time I work!

Put all the peg hooks in a garbage can... my what a wonderful idea, what will he think of next?
Maybe it's best just not to ask.

Maybe he'll forget that they're not actually garbage and throw them in the compactor?

Might explain a couple of phone calls we've gotten over the years from other stores desperately looking for peg hooks.
Fast backs I understand, we've had to scavenge those, they break, but pegs?

Last edited:
Back