MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

The tl and etl needs to do the planning not the Sd . If I was to go to my boss in my BUS without plans for plano for everyday of the week I would not have a place to work . And the sd does not make the schedule . He audits the schedule after hr but certainly does not make the schedule .so the planning falls onto the etl as well as the scheduling .
depends on the store. My sd was a control freak and did all but the cashier schedule. 70 Mil store.
He has control issues 😂. How you run a store if you don’t trust your team?

"Well, we have a plan to get caught up." Meanwhile, the transitions fall further behind. Oh well.

My ETLs give me this exact line all the time too.

Last week they forgot about the 30 hours of toys revisions. They gave them to the toy DBO and just moved someone over to do the truck. They did this partway through the week. So the DBO only had a couple days to do 30 hours of sets. (Somehow it got done.)

But I agree with people saying that Plano should get the hours it says they need to set. I never understood how they try and short those hours and they ask why you aren't done. "Well, you gave me 20 hours to set a 40 hour set and I got 25 hours of the set done. I thought I did a good job." Is an actual conversation I have had with my lead before.

My ETLs give me this exact line all the time too.

Last week they forgot about the 30 hours of toys revisions. They gave them to the toy DBO and just moved someone over to do the truck. They did this partway through the week. So the DBO only had a couple days to do 30 hours of sets. (Somehow it got done.)

But I agree with people saying that Plano should get the hours it says they need to set. I never understood how they try and short those hours and they ask why you aren't done. "Well, you gave me 20 hours to set a 40 hour set and I got 25 hours of the set done. I thought I did a good job." Is an actual conversation I have had with my lead before.
I think it all depends on your expectations of the team. Those hours include a lot of things and if you’re not having them do 100% of the job I agree with not scheduling 100% of the hours. I would typically schedule someone 40 hours a week year round and the expectation is all they do is set though (clean and replace label holders too). They don’t push, backstock, remerchendise or anything. Of course this is pretty extreme and requires a little more planning on the ETL/TLs part to make sure you stay ahead and don’t fall behind but I’ve always had success with it and always been ahead of transitions which also allows you to under schedule it since the inbound team will push the transition as it flows. This allows you to put a lot of hours back into your process so you’re still spending the same just spending it differently. Also affords DBOs more hours to help with those transitions and remerchandising.

Just because sd audits doesn’t mean he makes it . So is no semantics here . Etl makes the schedule and he lives with his poor scheduling he/she made. Auditing is done by sd just to hold the etl accountable not to make changes to the schedule .
You and I disagree. I say cutting the schedule of transition hours without any backup plan is the same as just "making up" a schedule. You don't see it that way. The SD is setting the team up for failure. Then acting like it's the team's fault for not planning.

You and I disagree. I say cutting the schedule of transition hours without any backup plan is the same as just "making up" a schedule. You don't see it that way. The SD is setting the team up for failure. Then acting like it's the team's fault for not planning.
It certainly could never be the SD's fault, so who else can we shame and blame, let me think....
Kenan Thompson Nbc GIF by Saturday Night Live

My god, how are these HBA revisions not transitions. Just did female shave and it changed a lot. New display fixtures, backer paper. An average DBO would have struggled.
Right?! I haven't cursed as much as I did when I set that POG in quite a while, I think I even made up a few words to be honest. I sounded like the Old Man in A Christmas Story in the basement fighting the furnace.
EVERY last bit of merchandise had to come off and go back on that POG...
Angry Bbc Two GIF by BBC

And now you know one reason the DBO will soon be an ugly memory

My god, how are these HBA revisions not transitions. Just did female shave and it changed a lot. New display fixtures, backer paper. An average DBO would have struggled.
My thoughts .... by making them revisions, the hours to complete them aren't included in the transition hours. As my sd put it, the leader of the are, the team lead, has to figure it out. How do you figure out it out? Especially when that tl is out on medical leave.

It must be nice to just get paid to sit in the office, say pithy but useless statements, etc.

That was my project today too. Holy hell that was a nightmare! And yes, 98% change is NOT a revision. Plus I didn't get all the ISM I needed. Thankfully we never got rid of the plano team even if it's only 3 of us.

Same at my store today thankfully it was our most experienced tm who did the revision. Signing, big changes, wanting a basket for product that just fits better on a shelf instead. Definitely didn't think that one through.

Same at my store today thankfully it was our most experienced tm who did the revision. Signing, big changes, wanting a basket for product that just fits better on a shelf instead. Definitely didn't think that one through.
In sections 3 and 4, I used slanted baskets on the basedecks. Right above that I used downswept shelves. I've been setting Pogs for years and this was a challenging one.

The female

The female shave was transition
Nope. Revision (for me at least)

Screenshot_2023-03-09-00-54-53-23_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-03-09-00-55-01-47_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

No offense @allnew2, your a knowledgeable person but notice many of your answers/response seemed to be based on your store and doesn't take into consideration we're not all the same. Not everyone has 8+ ETLs or 20 TLs like your store, we don't have outside warehouses to fill our extra crap like your store, we don't make sales as high as your store, we don't have as many team members as your store, we all don't have presentation TMs with 10-15+ years experience like your store (if I remembered correctly). We don't have the same footage POGs like your store. So if we say it takes 16 or so hours to do a certain POG, don't tell us it takes half that without knowing our footage or if a much less experience presentation team member is setting. Just because your store is bigger than most doesn't mean your POG is going to be bigger than everyone else.

So it gets a little irritating when you compare your store with others. I'm sure your store is a well run machine with great management but please take in consideration that not all stores is like yours.

Nope. Revision (for me at least)

View attachment 14744

View attachment 14743

No offense @allnew2, your a knowledgeable person but notice many of your answers/response seemed to be based on your store and doesn't take into consideration we're not all the same. Not everyone has 8+ ETLs or 20 TLs like your store, we don't have outside warehouses to fill our extra crap like your store, we don't make sales as high as your store, we don't have as many team members as your store, we all don't have presentation TMs with 10-15+ years experience like your store (if I remembered correctly). We don't have the same footage POGs like your store. So if we say it takes 16 or so hours to do a certain POG, don't tell us it takes half that without knowing our footage or if a much less experience presentation team member is setting. Just because your store is bigger than most doesn't mean your POG is going to be bigger than everyone else.

So it gets a little irritating when you compare your store with others. I'm sure your store is a well run machine with great management but please take in consideration that not all stores is like yours.
No offense whatsoever. And believe it’s not all peachy here either .
I apologize if I upset you in any way .

FWIW were a lower volume store and it was a transition for us too with the similar changes relating to the backer paper and everything moving. Very odd it was a revision for some stores.

Easy! It's a revision because then they can screw you out of the payroll needed to actually set it.

Since no one but me breaks down the signing pallet (even though when modernization started I was told the dumb-as-bricks parrot etl hr that it's EVERYONE'S job) I didn't do it until today, Friday afternoon. What do I find on it? Signing, etc for the male and female shave transitions .... I mean revisions. Now who has time to go back, take down peghooks, and redo it? The baler and compactor ate that.

Since no one but me breaks down the signing pallet (even though when modernization started I was told the dumb-as-bricks parrot etl hr that it's EVERYONE'S job) I didn't do it until today, Friday afternoon. What do I find on it? Signing, etc for the male and female shave transitions .... I mean revisions. Now who has time to go back, take down peghooks, and redo it? The baler and compactor ate that.

This has been happening a lot with ISM lately. Some shows up the week before, some the week of, and the worst- some the week after. Never seen it so bad and I've been sorting those pallets for over a decade.

It's the vms job to break down and sort signing but it is everyone's job to put it up. Vm is only responsible for the non pog signing. Only reason I miss my old vm she didn't really do more then the bare minimum but she was on top of sorting the signing and marking what it was and made it very easy. New one not so much.

It's the vms job to break down and sort signing but it is everyone's job to put it up. Vm is only responsible for the non pog signing. Only reason I miss my old vm she didn't really do more then the bare minimum but she was on top of sorting the signing and marking what it was and made it very easy. New one not so much.

I'm not sure if it varies by district or group, but on a recent Zoom call with my VMD she presented a slide that broke down VM responsibilities and sorting the ISM pallet landed in the area a VM can 'consult' on but does not outright own. However, I am not about to let that task fall to anyone else at my store; everything goes much more smoothly when I take care of it myself.

This has been happening a lot with ISM lately. Some shows up the week before, some the week of, and the worst- some the week after. Never seen it so bad and I've been sorting those pallets for over a decade.
Re: the transition/revision issue, I was told recently that it's a transition if any fixtures change (which would mean female shave was a transition since two of the basket fixtures were removed) and a transition if no fixtures change (which would mean something like the travel section, where almost everything moved, was a revision). And whichever a POG is, we need to be able to pre-tie revisions as well as transitions and end caps. With so much new product coming in, it's ridiculous that we can't have it coded for the new location on the pick label.

Re: the ISM, all I can do is groan in agreement. Although I'd say the worst is when it never arrives.

Maybe even worse than that though is label strips that never arrive. Just did the reset for Travel with labels I printed myself. Not much fun, but it does look nice, if I do say so myself. Although I'd be curious to see if the label strip for one row of baskets had one of the women's deodorants randomly placed amongst unrelated product. It's out of order, but I moved it so it's next to similar product.

Re: the transition/revision issue, I was told recently that it's a transition if any fixtures change (which would mean female shave was a transition since two of the basket fixtures were removed) and a transition if no fixtures change (which would mean something like the travel section, where almost everything moved, was a revision). And whichever a POG is, we need to be able to pre-tie revisions as well as transitions and end caps. With so much new product coming in, it's ridiculous that we can't have it coded for the new location on the pick label.

Re: the ISM, all I can do is groan in agreement. Although I'd say the worst is when it never arrives.

Maybe even worse than that though is label strips that never arrive. Just did the reset for Travel with labels I printed myself. Not much fun, but it does look nice, if I do say so myself. Although I'd be curious to see if the label strip for one row of baskets had one of the women's deodorants randomly placed amongst unrelated product. It's out of order, but I moved it so it's next to similar product.

I go by what the system says for the POG. If the POG says it's revision whether shelves are moving or not, then it's a revision. Same deal with transition. Although how HQ decides what is revision or transition is kind of questionable, ie. Female shave which was my original complaint.

The travel/trial fixture hasn't changed/moved in years and can be either transition or revision, it depends on what HQ decides it wants it to be.

Shelves doesn't necessarily have to move to be considered transitions. With revisions although it doesn't happen as often, shelves can also be moved/changed.

Back