Archived speed score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do the registers punish us for something that is beyond our control
Like after one hits total and you have to wait for the crusty to count out exact change, fiddle through their wallet or purse for their card or for the crusty who does NOT want to put clothing items on the belt or waits until last for the clothes (so I can't remove the hangers before we start) Manual says NOT to use the suspend button to inflate iour scores but until the registers stop punishing for things that are NOT the cashiers fault this CAshier is going to use it.

There are little ways around it. If you keep toggling between the item screen/total screen/then hit k1,2,3,4 or another option and keep going back and forth, I can keep my score from plummeting. It's also another reason why you're supposed to ask the guest how they're paying so you can get them in that mindset like "oh, I need to get my change out!".

Also, it's an average at the end of the week. If you get 5 of these a day, oh well. If you work 32 hours, you can easily do 500 transactions a week. As long as you're at 92 or above for the week, you're green.

Relax.

I remember one instance when one of my store's very obnoxious cashiers was training a new cashier and told the trainee about using the suspend button. I just lightly mentioned that might not be a good idea as suspends are recorded and there is always the chance of not recovering the suspended transaction especially on transactions with a large number of items. She blew me off saying thats nonsense.

On her next transaction, she suspended the transaction and couldn't get it back. The guest was very ticked off because she was in a hurry, and basically left the entire purchase.

Any suggestions for minors selling alcohol? The GSA/GSTL has to come to the register, key in override, swipe ID and accept tender for the sale. Poor cashier has to wait until the GSA/GSTL can get there, often times giving an R rating. Then they get dinged for having a yellow speed score at the end of the day, depending on how many alcohol sales. And we have a lot as we are a Super T with wine, spirits, and beer.

Which is worse? A slow speed score or multiple suspends in a day?

Any suggestions for minors selling alcohol? The GSA/GSTL has to come to the register, key in override, swipe ID and accept tender for the sale. Poor cashier has to wait until the GSA/GSTL can get there, often times giving an R rating. Then they get dinged for having a yellow speed score at the end of the day, depending on how many alcohol sales. And we have a lot as we are a Super T with wine, spirits, and beer.

A slow speed score.

Speed score is listed on DTK every week, while suspends will only be noticed if a GSTL/GSA/AP is looking for it. There is a metric in myhome on the PDA that scores the team for the day on the number of suspends, but it's not anything to worry about.

Make sure you scan the alcohol before you suspend, though, or else the alert won't go through to the GSTL/GSA's PDA. Alternatively, if you see it in the cart or on the belt, use your HELP button/lane light in advance.

We can't suspend a transaction that has alcohol on it. But I'll continue to suggest suspend to save their scores/asses. I'm a new GSTL and was asked to coach the "yellow" cashiers. When I noted that the majority of the "yellows" were minors, the senior GSTL had a stunned look on his face. Never dawned on him that there's a reason these kids are "yellow." Sheesh.

We can't suspend a transaction that has alcohol on it. But I'll continue to suggest suspend to save their scores/asses. I'm a new GSTL and was asked to coach the "yellow" cashiers. When I noted that the majority of the "yellows" were minors, the senior GSTL had a stunned look on his face. Never dawned on him that there's a reason these kids are "yellow." Sheesh.

Yes you can. I've done it many many times.

Make sure that you ck id picture to the person who is giving it to you when getting alcohol or m rated games. We had a store who got busted by the undercover abc cops last month, for not checking. Cashier was termed.

Weird. We can't. As an example, if a guest's card is declined, I'll suspend the transaction while she contacts her bank or whatever and hold the cart at Guest Services. But I have to void the alcohol because it won't allow me to suspend.

The reason that you shouldn't be able to suspend alcohol transactions is that at that point the ID has been checked so anyone (a minor) could recall the transaction, accept tender and that would legally be selling alcohol by a minor. Maybe it's our jurisdiction as the city we're located in is a real stickler for alcohol sales. As I said, we GSA/GSTLs don't only have to check the id , we have to stay on the transaction and accept payment. The minor is allowed to bag the alcohol, but that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird. We can't. As an example, if a guest's card is declined, I'll suspend the transaction while she contacts her bank or whatever and hold the cart at Guest Services. But I have to void the alcohol because it won't allow me to suspend.

The reason that you shouldn't be able to suspend alcohol transactions is that at that point the ID has been checked so anyone (a minor) could recall the transaction, accept tender and that would legally be selling alcohol by a minor. Maybe it's our jurisdiction as the city we're located in is a real stickler for alcohol sales. As I said, we GSA/GSTLs don't only have to check the id , we have to stay on the transaction and accept payment. The minor is allowed to bag the alcohol, but that's all.

mxrbook, you are absolutely right. I was mistaken in my post. I've never suspended a transaction with an alcohol sale already in it only transactions that need to be finished by someone old enough to legally sell the alcohol. Since I don't have supervisor numbers, when I'm helping a minor cashier I have the cashier suspend the sale after they've rung up everything but the alcohol then I sign into the register and complete the sale and sign out.
In my state, a cashier violating alcohol sale laws can not only result in getting fired but also personally fined by the state. I believe the fine is a few hundred dollars.

My store didn't sell alcohol, but from what I remember from my friends at the store across the state line, minors who scan an item with alcohol will force an automatic GSA/GSTL alert and will not allow the TM to void or backtrack the item. The GSTL must login into the POS in order to clear it and move on.

Again, use the help button/lane light if you see a guest with alcohol and you need a supervisor to finish. Don't wait until you scan the alcohol!

STLinMaking, do you have suggestions for handling the situation I described? With the number of minor cashiers we have versus the number of GSTL/GSAs we have, the choice is low speed score or multiple suspends. The senior GSTL was surprised when I explained the why of the yellow scores so I'm thinking our ETL-GE won't be much help either. ;)

Not scheduling 8 minor cashiers in a shift would be a start, right?

Yes you can. I've done it many many times.

Bull ****ing ****. Not once could I ever suspend an alcohol transaction. It said something about 'must complete payment' or some bull****. Either way this was before I got termed.

Multiple suspends in a day!!!!!! Then you get questioned by AP investigators.......... Been there done that!!!!!!!

LOL, someone had it out for you! I can name several instances where I've done the exact same thing and not even had the GSTL call me out on it. Your store just hates you.

My store didn't sell alcohol, but from what I remember from my friends at the store across the state line, minors who scan an item with alcohol will force an automatic GSA/GSTL alert and will not allow the TM to void or backtrack the item. The GSTL must login into the POS in order to clear it and move on.

Now THAT is insane.

At my Target they don't worry much about speed scores, unless it's consistently in the low 80's. I've never used the suspend button to keep my score good,(we have some here who do.) I know I'll get it back up again soon. As someone else said, occasionally they fail and they you have to re-scan everything and the guest is pissed! I am so glad we don't sell alcohol. I can't even remember the last time speed scores were mentioned, mostly it's all about getting red cards.

At my store, minors are not even allowed to scan alcohol. They have to scan everything else, then suspend the order and have the GSTL/GSA (or another TM who is 21 or older) scan the alcohol, check ID, and accept payment. This was a huge pain in the ass for me until I turned 21 - now I have to finish sales for the young'ns when the GSTL/GSA is stuck at Guest Service or whatever.

I would think that speed score is a lot more important than having a lot of suspended orders. Speed score is tracked on DTK and the store gets graded on it, but suspended orders shouldn't be a big deal unless a cashier gets crazy with it.

LOL, someone had it out for you! I can name several instances where I've done the exact same thing and not even had the GSTL call me out on it. Your store just hates you.

Doubt thats the case..... as I am still in the same store, with the same ETL's and STL's and I have since been promoted to Team Leader and Sr. Team leader and going for ETL on Tuesday. So clearly they are not out to get me..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back