Archived Starbucks and Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a Starbucks TM and I'm not sure if it's only me who feels this but it seems as if Target excludes us from the entire store in terms of ommunication and many other things. I honestly don't feel like we don't matter to the ETLs and STL. We are #3 in the company in terms of sales, averaging $28k-39k during 4thQ but we never get recognized by the store like they do for cashiers when they get a RedCard or whatever. Our workload is tough and they never respond to our additional assistance calls. We are always passing Steritech with a Green and never get any appreciation for our achievements. I don't know what to do about this. It would be nice to get some comments from TMs and leadership. Thanks.

Welcome to the life of a Market TM/PA except that $28k-39k is $10-$15 Million.

Honestly, at my store our Starbuck's team Dwarfs our Market team, I have been the only person in Market while there are 3 at Starbucks...

Oh, store recognition and communication is bad at each store. If your TL isn't strong in that area, expect it to be even worse for Starbucks.

Partner with your GSA for those days when you hit the back up button. Either they will be able to call out to see if someone is able to help out who knows SB (probably not) or they or someone on the sales floor can at least come do dishes...and maybe ring up orders (if they are feeling brave).

Communication stinks in every area of the store. So does training and training hours, which is probably why no one responds to backup--they are not Starbucks certified.

Part of the issue, in my experience at least, is that you all have an extra layer of top down crap to deal with, that often times runs counter to Target, namely your Starbucks DM.

The one that serves our area is a real pain in the ass. Like,

"who told you that you could put Odwalla drinks in our open RTD cooler?"
"The same guy who signs my paycheck. Check the planogram."

She was very indignant, and as such, I was told to leave starbucks alone.

Joke's on them. I was the only person who brought them milk when they were busy.

Part of the issue, in my experience at least, is that you all have an extra layer of top down crap to deal with, that often times runs counter to Target, namely your Starbucks DM.

Joke's on them. I was the only person who brought them milk when they were busy.
You're absolutely right. That's what also bothers me. We have bosses from TWO different companies breathing down our necks. My Starbucks DM is so incredibly anal about everything and sometimes Starbucks policies and Target policies conflict with each other and we get caught in the middle. When it comes down to it, I ultimately have to abide by what Target requires of me because they pay me. We are a mall store so we get so busy and the ETLs don't even show their heads to see if we need anything. My boss or my Starbucks TL is incredible, she is the hardest worker I have ever met which is why I go above and beyond for her but damn, you would think Target would at least give us a thank you. They are too busy recognizing others for opening redcards or responding to back up than giving us some sort of appreciation. We don't even participate in store huddles.

You're absolutely right. That's what also bothers me. We have bosses from TWO different companies breathing down our necks. My Starbucks DM is so incredibly anal about everything and sometimes Starbucks policies and Target policies conflict with each other and we get caught in the middle. When it comes down to it, I ultimately have to abide by what Target requires of me because they pay me. We are a mall store so we get so busy and the ETLs don't even show their heads to see if we need anything. My boss or my Starbucks TL is incredible, she is the hardest worker I have ever met which is why I go above and beyond for her but damn, you would think Target would at least give us a thank you. They are too busy recognizing others for opening redcards or responding to back up than giving us some sort of appreciation. We don't even participate in store huddles.

For what it's worth, I appreciate all of you. How you guys remember how to make all those combos is beyond me. My head wants to explode just thinking about it. I get a drink after work quite frequently and I'm going to ask them if they feel appreciated. They damn well better be!

For what it's worth, I appreciate all of you. How you guys remember how to make all those combos is beyond me. My head wants to explode just thinking about it. I get a drink after work quite frequently and I'm going to ask them if they feel appreciated. They damn well better be!
That's great to read :) I'm sure they'll be happy that you would do that.

I'd be happy if TMs, TLs, ETLs would just stop treating us like the bottom of the heap.
Just because I don't have guests at the moment does NOT mean I'm 'not busy'.
I'm restocking from the last rush, brewing fresh coffee, replenishing syrups/toppings, pulling pastries, mixing mocha for tomorrow's opener, wiping down counters, filling ice....you get the idea.
Having a TL come up & say "Hey, since you're not busy can you make some samples? Something fancy, 'kay?"
And they wonder what that smoldering smell comes from?

@CoquiAzul

I gotta ask, do you all have good working relationships with the other food service team and the CTL/consumables team?

I made it a big point to introduce myself (CTL) to the Starbucks and Food Ave teams, and to remind them that our goals are all the same. I work very closely with both their TLs and their TMs, so that we're all on the same page. If I didn't, my freezer and dairy coolers would be nightmares, like it was when I started as CTL. Two pallets and a vehicle full of their stuff. They cut that right down when I explained that I wouldn't be doing TINV for them, like they bullied my predecessor into. They're both gone, and we have wonderful TLs back there now.

On topic though, explain to ETL-GE, HR and the STL that you all don't feel like part of the team. That automatically should send up red flags to HR and STL.

By the way, how did you all do on your BTS? If you all felt left out, that should have at least gotten you a chat session.

We've cross-trained nearly all of our TMs (except for the new kid) in both areas & our TLs work together as if it were one area instead of 2. The cross-training part of it ensures that we always have ample coverage & that hrs are there for those who want them. We only have one weak link but the others are strong enough to make up for it. We also partner well with our consumables team & do what we can when we can.
Unfortunately, the rest of the store considers us the lowest of the low until they want something.

I've always though the lack of a tip jar was the biggest fault.
They want people to work Starbucks.
Put in the tip jar.
I always tip my barista, well.
Kinda have to when you order a six shot macho frappuccino.

Unfortunately, the rest of the store considers us the lowest of the low until they want something.
Anything food related is the lowest rung in most stores, to the salesfloor. My team (consumables) is treated like project bitches, FA is treated like mouth breathers and Sbux is generally ignored, until someone wants their salted caramel mocha.

My best suggestion is try to engage. I know once a week, back when we did all of our required hurdles per day, we did one front huddle with almost of all the salesfloor team at the lanes. Gave the food service and cashier TMs a chance to feel included. Afterwards, salesfloor would hop on the lanes for full coverage, and front end would do a short huddle to go over their work center specific topics.

Worked wonders, until our entire front end staff imploded, leaving us with no ETL-GE, no GSTLs, and two GSAs.

@CoquiAzul

I gotta ask, do you all have good working relationships with the other food service team and the CTL/consumables team?

I made it a big point to introduce myself (CTL) to the Starbucks and Food Ave teams, and to remind them that our goals are all the same. I work very closely with both their TLs and their TMs, so that we're all on the same page. If I didn't, my freezer and dairy coolers would be nightmares, like it was when I started as CTL. Two pallets and a vehicle full of their stuff. They cut that right down when I explained that I wouldn't be doing TINV for them, like they bullied my predecessor into. They're both gone, and we have wonderful TLs back there now.

On topic though, explain to ETL-GE, HR and the STL that you all don't feel like part of the team. That automatically should send up red flags to HR and STL.

By the way, how did you all do on your BTS? If you all felt left out, that should have at least gotten you a chat session.
I established a good relationship with our PA and one other CTM but I do not talk to my CTL because she is rude and always has an attitude. My PA and their team prefer us to pull milk from the floor so they can constantly push more milk. The reason we did that is to prevent expired milk on the sales floor. Our Starbucks is a high volume department so we go through a lot of milk. I know many stores don't allow products to be pulled from the floor but that has helped Consumibles cut their amounts of expired milk, especially with their nonfat. In regards to our BTS, I know the store scored bad and the DTL came but we never had a chat session. They never talk to us at all which really bothers me. Also the BTS doesn't allow you to add comments so I feel like you can't really specify the issues at the store.

We don't even participate in store huddles.

Neither do FA TM,s Cashiers, the GSTL/GSA, Pharmacy, or the people at the service desk.

Don't think BR/Flow/IS typically do either, but even if they do, that's certainly not something unique about SBTM's.

I've always though the lack of a tip jar was the biggest fault.
They want people to work Starbucks.
Put in the tip jar.
I always tip my barista, well.
Kinda have to when you order a six shot macho frappuccino.

Heh, except then the barista's make more than most if not all TL's, and perhaps on par with the Sr. TL's.

If you're store is like mine, you're not missing out on anything from the huddles. It's an accountability fest to make sure you're not absent and that you'll do gobacks or walk the vibe. That's after we're told we've missed sales again...

Personally I dislike going backup for Starbucks because the register screens don't seem self explanatory. The advertised fraps aren't under the frap button, etc. I'm completely unaware of the lingo so I have to write down the entire order on the cup. It's awkward and takes me forever. My LOD is happy to send me over there though since our PA hates it.

I'm a Starbucks TM and I'm not sure if it's only me who feels this but it seems as if Target excludes us from the entire store in terms of ommunication and many other things. I honestly don't feel like we don't matter to the ETLs and STL. We are #3 in the company in terms of sales, averaging $28k-39k during 4thQ but we never get recognized by the store like they do for cashiers when they get a RedCard or whatever. Our workload is tough and they never respond to our additional assistance calls. We are always passing Steritech with a Green and never get any appreciation for our achievements. I don't know what to do about this. It would be nice to get some comments from TMs and leadership. Thanks.

Are you looking for the red recognition cards? I'm glad you posted this. I agree that SB should be included. Would you give me some ideas on how I might recognize the SB and FA TMs for all their hard work?

Are you looking for the red recognition cards? I'm glad you posted this. I agree that SB should be included. Would you give me some ideas on how I might recognize the SB and FA TMs for all their hard work?
I write my sbux tm cards all the time. We've recently been zoning milk and bringing it to them. It helps that their tl is one of my teams big sister and they are an amazing family.

We definitely try to with together and it's on my long list of skills to learn. I did not get a bts chat season myself. Probably best not to single myself out.

So I spoke with the sb tm's and asked if they felt appreciated. No they don't, at all. So I spoke with my ETL-log and he says they are being recognized. We also had a conversation about a tip jar not being allowed. Clearly there is a big disconnect here. I'm not done yet. I'm going to talk to the ETL-ge and see what she thinks.

So I spoke with the sb tm's and asked if they felt appreciated. No they don't, at all. So I spoke with my ETL-log and he says they are being recognized. We also had a conversation about a tip jar not being allowed. Clearly there is a big disconnect here. I'm not done yet. I'm going to talk to the ETL-ge and see what she thinks.
Yay! (for you following up, not for the team not feeling appreciated.) it always makes my day to see someone really trying hard to solve a problem.

A while back, the GSTLs/GSAs were authorized to give away an occasional SB drink when trying to drum up redcards.
It worked so well that leadership has allowed it to increase so we now have TMs coming up with free drink cards several times a day yet we're NEVER recognized so we make free drinks for everyone else but we don't get to partake in the reward.
Our SBTL is great, tho. He always tried to do things exclusively for the FA/SB team & is quick on his feet when there's a chance to showcase our store. When we had a power outage after a storm, the generators had kicked on & everyone was having to wait for the registers to boot up. He made up trays & trays of drink samples & sent 2 of us down the checklanes to pass them out to waiting guests. The FATL filled small cups of popcorn & handed them out to restless kids.
Did leadership acknowledge it? Nope.

A while back, the GSTLs/GSAs were authorized to give away an occasional SB drink when trying to drum up redcards.
It worked so well that leadership has allowed it to increase so we now have TMs coming up with free drink cards several times a day yet we're NEVER recognized so we make free drinks for everyone else but we don't get to partake in the reward.
Our SBTL is great, tho. He always tried to do things exclusively for the FA/SB team & is quick on his feet when there's a chance to showcase our store. When we had a power outage after a storm, the generators had kicked on & everyone was having to wait for the registers to boot up. He made up trays & trays of drink samples & sent 2 of us down the checklanes to pass them out to waiting guests. The FATL filled small cups of popcorn & handed them out to restless kids.
Did leadership acknowledge it? Nope.
Your team did a great job. Thank you.

All of this why our TL for FA & Sbux have quit a week apart. Both have been with us years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back