Starbucks Team Leaders

I'm not a leader or affiliated with Starbucks in any way, but I would suggest keeping up with orders and staying in constant communication with whatever leader is overseeing Starbucks in the interim (FATL, GSTL, ETL, whoever). And always be ready for Steritech.

@Sickofspot and others, we need a little help here.

Not a SBTL either but, as Mrkn says, maintain the status quo.
Keep up with ordering, promotions (Siren's Eye), etc.
Enlist the help of your team; cultivate a couple reliable TMs to print out the order guide & show them how to scan the order in, teaching them how to gauge supply demand (ex: how many boxes of iced coffee do you go thru in a week?).
Show a couple of TMs how to set up focals for promotions, signing etc.
With Frappy Hour, order heavy on frapp base, syrups, cups & domes, etc.
If you don't do the schedule, partner with your HRTM to look it over to make sure you have coverage.
Partner with your ETL to assist with any TL-level issues (reviews, disciplinary action, etc).
Depending on how well you keep the team going, they may decide to promote you.
As an FSA, you already have vital experience & it would only be a matter of going up to the next tier.
It's devastating to lose a well-liked leader but - as the Brits say - Remain Calm & Carry On.

Also, partner with your Gstl, they might trained in Starbucks & can help you on any concerns or issues. Firing your tl, is little weird unless it's attendance or performance.
There is a guide for Starbucks/food ave orders on workbench under mydevice on the left side of the main page. you can get your barcodes there. My FAtl placed an food order the other day on a mydevice & it was a breeze to do. Directions for qmos(Toss) on mydevice are located in that guide too.

Thank you all @mrknownothing , @redeye58 , and @Hardlinesmaster for the advise. I'm just really nervous right now because our Starbucks DM knows that we don't have a TL right now so she's going to be showing up today or tomorrow. I've partnered with my FATL in terms of scheduling and dealing with disciplinary actions if needed. My STL actually came to me and pulled me to her office to status with me about the department. She's been a great help so far. Yesterday my ETL-HR told me he wants me for the TL position and that on Monday we'll start prep for interviews and I don't know what else. I'm just saddened because this was not a way I wanted to take on more responsibility.

Thank you all @mrknownothing , @redeye58 , and @Hardlinesmaster for the advise. I'm just really nervous right now because our Starbucks DM knows that we don't have a TL right now so she's going to be showing up today or tomorrow. I've partnered with my FATL in terms of scheduling and dealing with disciplinary actions if needed. My STL actually came to me and pulled me to her office to status with me about the department. She's been a great help so far. Yesterday my ETL-HR told me he wants me for the TL position and that on Monday we'll start prep for interviews and I don't know what else. I'm just saddened because this was not a way I wanted to take on more responsibility.
Remain calm & carry on like @redeye58 says, you will be ok. It sounds like your stl believes in you. Show them what you can do!

@redeye58 , great advice! You should be a TL. You seem to have a great sense of urgency.

Sorry, I was out of touch. I have been working long days, but luckily avoided happy hour this week. Also, truth be told, I did watch Age of Ultron last night. @CoquiAzul , I would tell you to follow in your TLs example, but since they were fired...
Partner with your ETL ans STL on their expectations. If you do what they ask, you will be great. FATL can be a great partner, so good thinking.

Always focus on being Steritech ready, sales, surveys/guest surveys, and ensuring you have solid routines. Finding a good balance between Target and Starbucks can be hard. Also, maybe ask your DM about their expectations. Mine was amazing-I am keeping in touch with him as a mentor.

I like to lead with grace. My number one bit of advice-you earn more respect through recognition than micromanagement. Remember, getting buy in is a big way to motivate. Developing team members is rewarding for them and you.

I honestly wish you the best of luck. You have a wonderful passion for the job. And, if the team already respects you, that's a total bonus!

Last edited:
Most important: don't ever pass up an opp to tell your team how much you appreciate them.
Our TLs will req free drinks for us if our survey scores are green, if we have a good steritech visit, wowed the DM during their visit, etc.
He also never passes up a chance to thank us individually when he sees us going above & beyond.

@redeye58 , I used to do the same, until I got in trouble for it. The team was doing a great job, why not show appreciation for it? I made my peer in Food Ave look bad, because they weren't big on recognition. I was like really?!

I guess it's because our SB & FA teams are pretty intertwined.
Our TLs yrs ago decided to cross-train all our TMs which helped us maintain a lean, mean team.
TMs that are looking for hrs can pick up shifts from either side; likewise we can call any one to cover in the event of call-outs.
We're also like a family - tiffs, spats & all - but we'll always help each other out.
We know who the strong links are as well as the weak ones.

Last edited:
I am jealous. I wanted that so bad, redeye, but I was told to focus on my area and butt out. What is the BS? Hello, anyone hear of team work? Oh well. Good thing I left. I am much happier. Starbucks is a great company.

Hey I need some major advice on what to do, I'm a TL still in training. But my training has been horrible
Get your certs done, first. Then, I think we can assist you on most things. At your home store, know your team & others who are SB trained to help you. We have some info in this thread, just start from the top.

Last edited:
Have you told your ETL and STL? I had a similiar experience a long while back, and called my ETL. They wound up sending me to a different store to train after that.

Also, I would familiarize myself with the Starbucks section of workbench and take a look at best practices for Starbucks.

Last edited:
Have you told your ETL and STL? I had a smiliar experience a long while back, and called my ETL. They wound up sending me to a different store to train after that.
Also, I would familiarize myself with the Starbucks section of workbench and take a look at best practices for Starbucks.
Do this for sure! Thanks, SOS!

I did, but it got so bad they had to have a sit down with my trainer, stl and myself. I left in tears. I was so hurt n defeated by the situation.:(

So, hold up a minute. You told your ETL that your trainer sucks and now you are being held accountable? I say call the damn hotline. That is shady. I am so sorry. That is wrong on SO many levels!

Basically they said I was resistant to training and the sbtl who was training me doesn't want to train me anymore. Apparently because I switched my training schedule, without going through proper channels..(I didn't know I've only been with bullseye for a month) she took extreme offense. I only switched because i needed to perfect my closing skills since a lot of my stores issues are with closing. Well the sbtl felt I wasn't trying to learn and told the stl from the store I'm training at and all hell broke loose.

Well I did tell my etl, but the stl and sbtl from the training store took it upon themselves to sit me down. When I called my etl hr from my store, she even wondered why they sat me down.

Wow! Ok, well maybe you should have partnered with your store on changing the schedule. But, that sounds a little drastic to me. Can you not go to another store? If not, the only thing I can think of is reference all you can on workbench for Starbucks. And, maybe reach out to other stores in your district and build relationships with the other SBTLs. My district peers and I worked very closely. If it wasn't for each other, we all would have quit sooner.

Why doesn't your store fight for you? If HR says it sounds wrong, it probably is.

Last edited:
I had no idea I had to tell my store about the schedule change since it was told to me that I should only be working with two designated people to train me. And that day when I changed my schedule that's who I was working with. Plus the sbtl saw me and didn't say a word to me about it at all. I honestly didn't know. My hiring process was very quick..hired as a rx tech..went to orientation..offered sbtl and then had training two weeks later..I'm still trying to learn basic bullseye lingo.

Then at the "sit down" meeting basically the sbtl said on the second day of training I pretty much came to training n "told her what I wanted to do" even though she asked me what I wanted to do and I told her I wanted to make drinks.(then said in lying and told the stl to call the other girl she was training to verify her side) How can I be a sbtl and not know how to make drinks?! Apparently she took offense to that too and pretty much said that set the tone to my training. Which once again I had no idea I offended her. She claimed she's never had to much push back. But all I've wanted to do is learn from her. Instead I've beenlearning most info from everyone but her.

I totally get you. I would get the hell away from that other store. Call your HR again. Work something out. The TL you are training with sounds shady. If you have to call your STL, do it. You are wasting your time and gas going there. If no one helps, hotline time!

Sorry you are going through this. I would have been ready to quit.

I'm really hurt because I thought this would be an opportunity of a lifetime. Learning from the "best".. And instead I left there in tears.:oops::( Plus my etl over me is friends with the "trainer"

Back