Archived target.com screw ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you do when a guest brings in a product from a target.com order that they didn't order? I don't mean that they were sent the wrong product, but they were sent something extra, and the guest wants to give it back. Do you thank them and put it back on the floor? Do you do a "no receipt return?" It's been a shitty week, and the topper was the GSA and APTL getting pissed at me tonight for how I handled this sort of issue earlier this week under the direction of my LOD and the guy who answered the phone when I called the .com people for help on the return.

I have gotten online items I didn't order from other companies (damn those seasonal employees). I wsn't charged for them, but I have called to let them know - and they have given me rma numbers to return the item.

Retail Girl - what did .com tell you to do?

Funny - my sister in law had this happen - i told her to keep it - she got a dish set and a hand mixer she didn't order. Her good conscience told her to take it back - whoever was working guest services told her that she could either keep it - return it for a gift card - or just leave it. I really couldn't believe they would give a gift card since she told them she didn't order/pay for it! Common sense...

Here's the full story: this guest attempt to order a product through .com using her debit card. The card was declined (she had been having issues at Amazon as well, so she doesn't believe it was Spot's fault). The next day, she attempted to order the product again and it went through. Tuesday she came home and discovered she had two of the product waiting for her. But her card had only been charged once.

So she brought in the extra one, and explained the situation. I tried returning it against the shipping slip, but it said it couldn't find the order, and to call the number. Not wanting to do that, I asked the TL at the time if she had any suggestions. We could have returned it against the card, but then if there was something wrong with the one she did keep, she would have been out of luck saying it had already been returned. The TL saw my dilemma and told me to call the number, since she wasn't sure. So I called and explained it, and eventually they told me just to do a no receipt return when they couldn't figure out what to do about the shipping slip not finding it.

This made sense to me since we (the specific store) were getting a product back, so we had to give out something in return. They always say the store side and .com side are separate, anyway. The guest got back about half of what she paid for the other one on a gift card that I had to do an override on. So the guest got $75 on a gift card for being honest. We put it back on the floor for about half that price.

Well, tonight the guest came back to tell us that the .com people got around to charging her for the second one. WTF? So the gsa at guest services calls over the APTL and me so I could explain myself. Since the guest had the receipt with the no receipt return with her, we had the dpci, so we looked it up on her card, attempted to return it twice to ensure that there were, in fact, two charges on it, and then just did a return on the one, so it got credited back to her account. Then we gave her $35 on a gift card for the inconvenience.

After she left, the gsa got all pissy with me for doing the return in the first place, and told me I should have just taken the product back and sent the guest on her way. She told me that it was no different than a guest who walks out of the store without paying for a product and then tries to bring it back. I was confused, because I honestly thought it would be different because one was theft and the other was the .com's fuck up. So I ended up apologizing and slinking away, being very thankful it was the end of my shift.

So, do we just thank the guest and take the product or do we do a no receipt return and give the guest some compensation?

All I know now is that while the TL told me the other night I made the right call, I now have the aptl and another gsa pissed at me.

I don't even know. The only thing I know how to do is if they got the wrong item, they can pick that option and you can key the DPCI from the packing slip to return an incorrect item. If they got an item they didn't pay for I'd just tell them to keep it or donate it. Haven't had that situation before.

What do you do when a guest tries to return an item that she wasn't charged for in the store? I point out on their receipt that they didn't pay for it and I do not refund them anything. If there is no receipt, then I attempt to return all items on the ID. Seems as though it would work the same way whether it's Target.Com or in store.

If it's for our store, at least it's our missing inventory....so I don't refund it unless they insist, then I do a no receipt return. But if it isn't our missing inventory or something we even carry, it feels wrong to just say "thank you" and take it. And the .com people told me to do it...but I don't trust my own judgement for much at this point.

@Retail Girl this is a case of leadership, not policy. As a fellow GSA, you should expect respect on judgement calls from your PEERS. After 6 years as a GSTL, I learned VERY quickly to a.) Assume Positive intent whenever I can from my guests (until proven otherwise) and b.) make the BEST call you can in that moment. Guest Services is one of the toughest work centers, since so much of what you deal with cannot be replicated in a manual, or with a process (even though they try!). You DID your research, you PROBED for all information, you COLLABORATED with your leadership, and you did it!

I would be giving my peer GSA some feedback on their communication, because if your team doesn't respect each other, than the leadership will follow suit. Fact find for future inquiries like you're doing, but leave it behind you. Don't challenge your judgement based on a crazy call like this needed. Haven't been with spot for years, but I have your back policy regardless. :)

What do you do when a guest tries to return an item that she wasn't charged for in the store? I point out on their receipt that they didn't pay for it and I do not refund them anything. If there is no receipt, then I attempt to return all items on the ID. Seems as though it would work the same way whether it's Target.Com or in store.

How do you guys handle returns for items that were entered as No Barcode? As a cashier, I tried my best to avoid using K3 No Barcode because of returns, instocks, and shortage among other reasons, but not every store trains cashiers the same way.

same exact thing happened at my store. we mysupported it. they labeled it as undeliverable to the guest who ordered it. what do we do with the product? no idea

i email back, and its like the guest was charged for it. just no receipt return it. umm.. they were just being honest and returning your screw up. we just made an online sticker and put it on the salesfloor.

How do you guys handle returns for items that were entered as No Barcode? As a cashier, I tried my best to avoid using K3 No Barcode because of returns, instocks, and shortage among other reasons, but not every store trains cashiers the same way.

I'd just use the receipt and type in 099090099, that should fix the inventory since the item was never removed from inventory when sold, so this way it isn't being added when returned, so it should fix the imbalance.

Alternatively you could no receipt return it, but then inventory will show 1 more of the item than you actually have.

I'd just use the receipt and type in 099090099, that should fix the inventory since the item was never removed from inventory when sold, so this way it isn't being added when returned, so it should fix the imbalance.

Alternatively you could no receipt return it, but then inventory will show 1 more of the item than you actually have.

I see. I didn't realize you could do a "No Barcode return."

I see. I didn't realize you could do a "No Barcode return."

Yes, but it is inconvenient for me and for the guest because I don't know what I'm returning, unless the cashier writes the name of the item on the receipt somewhere. We train our cashiers to do it only when there's absolutely no way to determine the DPCI for the item. Our GSTL usually tries to have them type in the dept. number followed by zeroes so that something comes up on the receipt other than "Merchandise."

Yes, but it is inconvenient for me and for the guest because I don't know what I'm returning, unless the cashier writes the name of the item on the receipt somewhere. We train our cashiers to do it only when there's absolutely no way to determine the DPCI for the item. Our GSTL usually tries to have them type in the dept. number followed by zeroes so that something comes up on the receipt other than "Merchandise."

Only cheap items are usually no barcoded, so it's not really something I'm overly concerned about. Maybe they are returning something other than what the "Merchandise" actually was, but it's likely $1-$5, so I don't overly care tbh.

Is there a list of all the department numbers on Workbench or somewhere?

We had a list called Apparel and Accessories Department Numbers at the fitting room. It was very helpful but it's disappeared. Does anyone know where I can find it to print out another copy?

• There's a way to return this item. When the screen for "reason for return" comes up, select the choice of "wrong item sent", and then it will ask for the DPCI of the item that should have been received, and the item that was sent. Just enter the same DPCI twice. It won't refund anything, but the guest will feel good, and you could always give a GC or some apology coupons for the honesty.

I wouldn't even try the License or use the shipping receipt.

If the guest doesn't want it or donate it, verify the numbers for something Target carries. Then Defect it or send it to the back for re-pricing so it can be sold in store.

If they receive the wrong item you can use the "wrong item" choice on the POS, then type the DPCI from the packing slip. If they never paid for the item I'd just tell them they can either keep it or give it to us, but they won't get any money for it. If they choose to give it back just go into sort stuff and scan it, if it's online only a red tag will print out allowing it to be sold in store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back