MEGATHREAD Target myDevices

Another annoyance with these is when you rotate the device horizontally, the screen output does not always rotate as well. I have big hands and fingertips and using the itty bitty keyboard to input data is somewhat a challenge.

Some apps also do not rotate. I run into this with my personal phone. My phone will rotate to landscape but my facebook app does not. Why? You ask? Cause it was written that way.

The refurb they sent to replace the other one rarely works and was disgustingly dirty. Crusted grime on the screen, case, etc. Pdas had screen protectors, any chance we can get them for these? Once the old man starts banging the screen with a pen it's over.

A pen will not work on the screen. Wrong screen type.

Some apps also do not rotate. I run into this with my personal phone. My phone will rotate to landscape but my facebook app does not. Why? You ask? Cause it was written that way.

The MyWork and Redwire login screens do, but not on all the time. More often not.

All hail zdate
Well I'm not sure if it will still be called Z-date or not. It was recently changed to ETA on all the PDAs in Item Search with the last update, but that it what the list on Workbench is still calling it.

Last edited:
The scanner case has a lip above the touchscreen, so should be difficult to crack the screen. Unless it hit a corner or something.
That's what I like about the cases. If it falls on its face it's fine. That's what I look for in a case for my own phone. Though if the PDA falls on a corner, then that's another story.

I actually found some pen/stylus combo pens at ocean state job lots tonight 5/$1 imprinted with some company logo, but they came in red and blue. And are a retractable pen.
So target sells a version of this that can be imprinted with the store number...good to keep in mind for team member rewards.

Attachments

• 2015-02-23 00.06.34.jpg
    2015-02-23 00.06.34.jpg
    694 KB · Views: 51
Also, I imagine it's a lot easier to repair an iPod screen than a PDA. And probably cheaper too.
Ipod screens are glued in place it's not what you would call repair friendly, apple products in general are glued and soldered in place, PDA is probably easier to replace parts but probably way more expensive.

For the most part I like the myDevices because of the integrated functionality it brings. I will say though I hate how the scanner gives out, sometimes once every hour.

One thing I really miss though is being able to check not only if another store has an item, but also where exactly that item is on THEIR salesfloor and even back room locations in THEIR store. I can't tell you how many times I've had a TM at another store try and BS me or a guest to say they were out of a certain item. I call them right out on it telling them "Well I can see that it's in your back room and I will tell you the exact location, please go get it for the guest". Now when I call, all the myDevice tells me is the onhands, which of course may or may not be accurate, and I cannot tell if the TM is BSing me or if they are really out.

For the most part I like the myDevices because of the integrated functionality it brings. I will say though I hate how the scanner gives out, sometimes once every hour.

One thing I really miss though is being able to check not only if another store has an item, but also where exactly that item is on THEIR salesfloor and even back room locations in THEIR store. I can't tell you how many times I've had a TM at another store try and BS me or a guest to say they were out of a certain item. I call them right out on it telling them "Well I can see that it's in your back room and I will tell you the exact location, please go get it for the guest". Now when I call, all the myDevice tells me is the onhands, which of course may or may not be accurate, and I cannot tell if the TM is BSing me or if they are really out.
I loved that feature on Item Search on the PDA. Sometimes the other store TM didn't have a PDA, but I could easily tell them where to look on their floor. I miss that sooooo much! @UIguy any chance this could be incorporated into the myDevices?

I'm not sure if this was ever 100% figured out, but does anyone know if the myDevices can SUBT9999? I'm a little too hesitant to try it randomly on something I know won't go out to the floor unless I know it can do that function.

You can if the item has a backroom location, but that's not best practice to use it to psych out sales accumulator. The better way would be to use the fill from stockroom feature and do a "fill" for all the locations. If you enter the capacity or greater for each location it will decrease the sales accumulator to 0 and not put a pull in.
As a preview we are working on some new replenishment changes that should help alleviate some of the floor replenishment issues, such as being able to edit capacities for locations. Also the way I suggested above as a best practice does require the item to be in the backroom which I realize could be troublesome in a few scenarios, we are also looking at ways to address this in our changes.

I loved that feature on Item Search on the PDA. Sometimes the other store TM didn't have a PDA, but I could easily tell them where to look on their floor. I miss that sooooo much! @UIguy any chance this could be incorporated into the myDevices?

And just so we better understand the issue, is it that you are calling a store on behalf of a guest who wants an item your store doesn't have in stock and you are wanting the store to set it aside for the guest? And since the TM you called doesn't have a device you want to be able to assist them in quickly finding the item without them having to get a device?
As for the backroom, I'd imagine the use case would be being able to tell the other TM that they have some in the backroom so the TM could grab a device, find it back there and then TAKE it from the back? Backroom location wouldn't be all that helpful, right?

Well I'm not sure if it will still be called Z-date or not. It was recently changed to ETA on all the PDAs in Item Search with the last update, but that it what the list on Workbench is still calling it.
It'll be called "on the way" on MyDevice, so it'll appear in that same section, just now with the date included with the quantity!

Last edited:
You can if the item has a backroom location, but that's not best practice to use it to psych out sales accumulator. The better way would be to use the fill from stockroom feature and do a "fill" for all the locations. If you enter the capacity or greater for each location it will decrease the sales accumulator to 0 and not put a pull in.
As a preview we are working on some new replenishment changes that should help alleviate some of the floor replenishment issues, such as being able to edit capacities for locations. Also the way I suggested above as a best practice does require the item to be in the backroom which I realize could be troublesome in a few scenarios, we are also looking at ways to address this in our changes.

And just so we better understand the issue, is it that you are calling a store on behalf of a guest who wants an item your store doesn't have in stock and you are wanting the store to set it aside for the guest? And since the TM you called doesn't have a device you want to be able to assist them in quickly finding the item without them having to get a device?
As for the backroom, I'd imagine the use case would be being able to tell the other TM that they have some in the backroom so the TM could grab a device, find it back there and then TAKE it from the back? Backroom location wouldn't be all that helpful right?
For me the store closest to is us a joke. If I call to see if they have one more blue curtain they will often have a tm who just searches and says it says we have three on hand so you will be safe. You might have to insist they check themselves. And if it's only in the backroom they might not know where to even look. If I can see one in backstock I can call the electronics tm and ask them to check the backroom for me. Or if the guest didn't want to wait I can be more reasonably sure the item exists.

As for the backroom, I'd imagine the use case would be being able to tell the other TM that they have some in the backroom so the TM could grab a device, find it back there and then TAKE it from the back? Backroom location wouldn't be all that helpful, right?

This is to account for less than stellar TM's. There's been a few times where I've given the TM the DPCI of an item and they either still can't find it, or can't be bothered to pick it up from the back, or they just straight up lie and say they don't have it.

In addition having the BR location has helped in determining whether or not a store actually has something.

Example, I see a store has 1 of an item, but it's in the backroom. Now I know that there is a greater chance of the store having it. Or I might be able to tell that it's an off-site location so I can tell the guest that their next off-site pick up will be at whatever time.

I know it's kind of a niche feature, but it *is* helpful.

Back