Archived Team Member Discount

Status
Not open for further replies.

louehans

Guest Service & Electronics
This might be a silly or more obvious question but it all still confuses me.

For our team member discounts are we not allowed to let anyone else use it at all?

everyone I know says they let other use it and they have never gotten in trouble. Personally I don’t know anyone who has gotten in trouble, but whenever I let my friends or family use my discount when i’m at a store that is not mine the employee always gives me slight attutide saying I will get in trouble.
Example: we were getting a pool and only one target had it and my brother was using his red card and the employee said if the redcard wasnt in my name ap will see that and I can get in trouble

This might be a silly or more obvious question but it all still confuses me.

For our team member discounts are we not allowed to let anyone else use it at all?

everyone I know says they let other use it and they have never gotten in trouble. Personally I don’t know anyone who has gotten in trouble, but whenever I let my friends or family use my discount when i’m at a store that is not mine the employee always gives me slight attutide saying I will get in trouble.
Example: we were getting a pool and only one target had it and my brother was using his red card and the employee said if the redcard wasnt in my name ap will see that and I can get in trouble

Do order pick up. Pay with your redcard and add brother as second pick up person. Using your discount improperly will get you fired.

Here is the information straight from the Team Member Handbook:

TM Discount - Who Can Use It.jpg

TM Discount - Who Cannot Use It.jpg

You should stop listening to whoever "everyone" is because they are giving you the wrong information. The employee with the "slight attitude" at that Target with the pool gave you wise advice. When you let people who are not your spouse/domestic partner or eligible dependent(s) use your discount, AP will know. You can definitely get fired for letting other people use your discount.

Last edited:
If names don't match, all that cashier had to do was tell his AP. They can then go back and pull up all of your transactions and start looking at those. It's 10%. Let them fend for themselves.

Don't do it. I had my daughter return to me her dependent TM discount card on her 25th birthday. Someone else getting your discount isn't worth your job.

10% isn't that of a big discount. So either way I wouldn't risk my job. It just covers barely the sale tax in some parts of the country. Either way you look at it, Target isn't losing much and you're not gaining much. The only thing you would lose is your job if some hard core AP finds out. If you do it, don't go blabbering around about it. Anyway, its your choice.

I see nothing wrong with letting others use your discount.. I do it all the time.. I have never seen or heard of anyone getting fired for this

Don't do it. I had my daughter return to me her dependent TM discount card on her 25th birthday. Someone else getting your discount isn't worth your job.
Lol... I made my 17 yr old give me back the dependent T M card after she passed it down the line from one friend to the next on a school trip. Yikes!

To the OP, seriously, don’t do it. Saving a friend 10% isn’t worth losing your job.

At most, pay for it yourself and ask them to reimburse you later... away from the store. But it just isn’t worth it.

This sounds like pure bs to me. I’m sure headquarters has better things to do

Get an ETL with a hard on or the need to boost numbers to look good its low hanging fruit to boost numbers and make themselves look good.. And it does happen HQ may not really care but local? Yes they can and will.

So if you going to do it, keep it way on the down low..

I went out of town about 2.5 hours away with wife and sister n law. Made a purchase at a Target, not even a big purchase, maybe $30. Used my discount and my red card. About a week later I get pulled into my HR's office and she's talking about an email she got from corporate stating that I was in such and such city and made a purchase for someone else and used my discount. Then I proceeded to tell her it was a purchase for me, and my wife and sister n law were with me. She says she doesn't know the details but just that they said it was a big group of people and I used my discount to buy them stuff. I laughed and told her sure, if 3 people is a big group of people. I told her to tell them to pull video footage of me buying stuff for them and proof it wasn't for me (which it was).

She said I wasn't in trouble that it was just a warning. Lmao yea warning my ass. I'll buy whatever I want for myself. If I'm going to be accused of using my discount for others then at least come at me with proof of a money exchange or something.

So either corporate looked into that transaction and notified my store, or the cashier tried sticking their nose into something they knew nothing about and management contacted corporate

Discount fraud is wrong, it does happen, and TMs have been fired for it. All it takes is one complaint or curious AP team to meet their internal goals.

Must be partner/spouse or dependent. No exceptions.

I see nothing wrong with letting others use your discount.. I do it all the time.. I have never seen or heard of anyone getting fired for this

I personally know of a TM who was fired for repeatedly letting his sister use his discount. My understanding is that it’s something that AP at the store can track if they choose to. APTL at my low risk store never seems to have much else to do.

I personally know of a TM who was fired for repeatedly letting his sister use his discount. My understanding is that it’s something that AP at the store can track if they choose to. APTL at my low risk store never seems to have much else to do.
This. From what I understand and have been told a giant red flag is when they see the discount name not match up to the name on the card

We had a TM who let her daughter-in-law use her discount.....daughter-in-law would shop at two local Target stores.....usually the d-i-l would buy a ton of stuff. One day the d-i-l came to my line and said that she "couldn't use her mother-in-laws" card anymore.

So, she got caught......an interesting side note...said m-i-l used to be a food service supervisor in a county jail......a few months ago got caught for stealing. The police came to get her before the store opened for the day.

I wonder if she was also going to get in trouble for letting her d-i-l use her card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back