Archived Terminated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, this brings up an interesting point. Target isn't actually out the $60. So why do they get to recoup $60 from the OP?

When this happens, does the guest ever come in and get the gift card? I've had answered calls from guests where they want to come in for the card the cashier didn't give them that shows up on their receipt. Idk what happens after I answer the call, but I'm assuming the guest usually gets a new gift card. So maybe this is why?

Also, I need to catch up on Arrow lol.

I had guests that attempted to use GCs that they'd gotten with purchases only to find out there was nothing on there. Whenever that happened, I did a price inquiry & sometimes it said "gift card was not issued" meaning it was never loaded (won't do that if they slipped a prev used one in, tho).
I'd send them to the SD & give the GSA/GSTL a heads up since we've had cashiers do that more than once.
Even if they don't have their original receipt, sometimes we can get enough info (esp if they used their red card) to pull up the last trans.
If they're patient enough to wait for all this, they're not pulling our leg & the GSTL will usually reissue their gift card. That's where the restitution back to Target comes in.
Most folks usually say "Forget it" & Target keeps that money.

Last edited:
When this happens, does the guest ever come in and get the gift card? I've had answered calls from guests where they want to come in for the card the cashier didn't give them that shows up on their receipt. Idk what happens after I answer the call, but I'm assuming the guest usually gets a new gift card. So maybe this is why?

Also, I need to catch up on Arrow lol.

When a guest tells me they didn't get a gift card, I ask them to bring in their receipt. From there, I do a look up on inside POS to get all the information from the old gift card (that they likely lost) and sell them a new one from the old one. If the money is no longer on that card (hasn't happened yet) I would call AP or the LOD.

For $5.00 I never took the time to look up receipts. I asked for the info if they had it and then gave them a $5 gift card. Then I turned the info over to AP so they could research if they wanted. The guests were always happier when I just believed them. Did I ever get burned? Maybe, but over $5, BFD.

If everyone who stole $5 gift cards at my stores had their lives ruined over it, the homeless population would increase dramatically in my city. Yes, it's wrong. No, it's not life altering. Learn from your mistake and go on with your life.

You were fired for HR policy not internal theft. The difference is you stole from the guest (Promo gift cards), not Target.

Target won't press charges but technically the guests you stole from can press charges.
Thsts what i was thinking, it's just HR policy, but why did target recoup the $60?

If you paid in full and they still had you sign a promissory note I would assume it is to have on file in case you decide to file for unemployment. Then they will have on record you admitted to stealing and you would not win your case. Likely they just want to make sure they win an unemployment case in the event you were dumb enough to try after you stole.

To the above that said hey it's not a big deal don't act like they burned an orphanage...yeah, is it as bad as taking $2000 dollars? No. If this person noticed they never got caught would they have kept doing it for as long as they could until it hit $2000? Probably. OP is lucky AP just termed them right away. If I were them I'd of tracked it all, let you go get to the grand larceny amount and thrown the book at you. You got a break, don't screw it up. Also please don't make excuses for yourself like you did in the OP. Own up to it, realize it was a bad choice and move on. Don't minimize it or act like you weren't a thief.

If you paid in full and they still had you sign a promissory note I would assume it is to have on file in case you decide to file for unemployment. Then they will have on record you admitted to stealing and you would not win your case. Likely they just want to make sure they win an unemployment case in the event you were dumb enough to try after you stole.

To the above that said hey it's not a big deal don't act like they burned an orphanage...yeah, is it as bad as taking $2000 dollars? No. If this person noticed they never got caught would they have kept doing it for as long as they could until it hit $2000? Probably. OP is lucky AP just termed them right away. If I were them I'd of tracked it all, let you go get to the grand larceny amount and thrown the book at you. You got a break, don't screw it up. Also please don't make excuses for yourself like you did in the OP. Own up to it, realize it was a bad choice and move on. Don't minimize it or act like you weren't a thief.
It was a stupid act, I wasn't thinking. I don't know why I thought I wouldn't of got caught. The moment they sat me down and the guy told me he worked with AP, I shit my pants. But yeah I got the note. The AP dude initialed it at the top and wrote paid in full. I still don't know if this will effect my future in other retail jobs? Will this appear on my records when a background check in done?

Highly doubt it will appear. It's internal with Target if the police were not called, and internal stuff like that won't show up. It was an HR policy issue, you never technically stole from Target at all, it was the guests you stole from.

It shouldn't show up in a background check if police aren't involved. Sounds like it was all handled internally.

I would just keep quiet about Target if it comes up, don't tell any employers about the theft. Honesty isn't always the best policy when it comes to seeking employment.

It shouldn't show up in a background check if police aren't involved. Sounds like it was all handled internally.

I would just keep quiet about Target if it comes up, don't tell any employers about the theft. Honesty isn't always the best policy when it comes to seeking employment.

Seriously, in the long run I wouldn't mention working there at all unless you have to.
You weren't there so long that it will leave a huge gap in your resume and it will be easier to do that then explain why you left.

This is what my store does....

Is Target one of the stores that uses a system to enter employee theft into it? The stores enter this in, and then when they hire someone, they can just check that database to see if their name appears. Some retailers participate in this, but I have no idea if Target is one.

Seriously, in the long run I wouldn't mention working there at all unless you have to.
You weren't there so long that it will leave a huge gap in your resume and it will be easier to do that then explain why you left.

Heck even if he/she was there a long time, you could still talk about Target (to avoid the huge gap in resume) and just omit the theft part. Just say you left to seek better opportunities, or left to focus on school or something.

Just don't use anyone from Target as a reference.

You were fired for HR policy not internal theft. The difference is you stole from the guest (Promo gift cards), not Target.

Target won't press charges but technically the guests you stole from can press charges.

it counts as an internal to us tho :p

If everyone who stole $5 gift cards at my stores had their lives ruined over it, the homeless population would increase dramatically in my city. Yes, it's wrong. No, it's not life altering. Learn from your mistake and go on with your life.

This is nothing compared to what I have to do to get rid of some of these Meat shipments target sends me.... 50% is the cap? Fawget about it....

$1.50-$2.00 p/lbs is my main huddle information on those days... Not only do we get something back for what would be a complete waste, but I get to feed my store cheaply...

And... also, give them poor Cow's/Chicken's a purpose.

It was a stupid act, I wasn't thinking. I don't know why I thought I wouldn't of got caught. The moment they sat me down and the guy told me he worked with AP, I shit my pants. But yeah I got the note. The AP dude initialed it at the top and wrote paid in full. I still don't know if this will effect my future in other retail jobs? Will this appear on my records when a background check in done?
Doesn't seem like it. Make the most of a second chance.

Is this why the police weren't called on the OP? Target couldn't press charges since he was stealing from the guests?
Correct. Target was not the victim of the crime. Not the victim, cannot press charges; at least from what I was taught. That's why it falls under HR Policy.

Your name WILL be in a Retail Crime Database, even though the police were not called. This isn't a police record, but a external system a bunch of retailers contribute to.

How this will effect you, depends on who you apply to. As I know not every retailer participates, but more and more did when I left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back