Archived The Big & Dandy Backroom thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're 4am and typically get 400 hours for the backroom though it's been a roller coaster at this point. For 2 weeks I ended up with 25 hours, then another 2 weeks with 40, then back down to 20-30 and now we're back up to 40 again. I think hours went way up on this schedule that came out yesterday/today since it has the remodel/demodel on it. I'm back to 40 on it. We're constantly missing sales though, so that's not doing any favors for payroll.

With regards to phasing out the backroom, it wouldn't surprise me if Target eventually does go that direction, or at least only have an early morning team (for the autofill/truck backstock). I know wally world doesn't have a dedicated backroom team anymore.

I'm not certain about how many hours we are given, but I would estimate we are somewhere between 300-350. Or at least, that's what we had before almost our entire team left. Now we're using around 150-175. We're an overnight A+/AA Volume PFresh.

Our store is really fucking weird. It's very high volume but we're usually staffed like a B volume store. When you compare the way that we are staffed to the AA Volume store a couple miles down the road it's not even fair. They have 3 backroom closers, 6 Hardlines closers, 5 Softlines closers, and are just way better staffed than we are. I really don't understand it. They are less than a million dollars higher in sales, only slightly larger in terms of physical size, and yet they are given hundred of more hours than we are.

We're A volume and have 5 auto pullers scheduled 4am-11 and occasionally we help push truck when scheduled to 12. 9-4 , 1:15-6 and 4-11p...on weekends we add a 3-745. 9am does audit and research / other pulls outside of plano since they have their own puller. We always have 2 pullers for CAFS since times vary so much. Truck size avgs. 2200 ...We drop manual CAFS only on non truck days and if we had a small truck...1700 or less which is rare

Leadership always asks if the new pull times are better for the store. The answer is yes for everyone that is not backroom lol, due to scheduling and the fact that no one can support backroom if they wanted too ex. lack of training, desire, and ridonculous amount of call outs.
giphy.gif

Leadership always asks if the new pull times are better for the store. The answer is yes for everyone that is not backroom lol, due to scheduling and the fact that no one can support backroom if they wanted too ex. lack of training, desire, and ridonculous amount of call outs.
View attachment 2128
I actually like the new pull timers. On weekdays, we are usually done pulling the CAFs by 4:30, which gives me enough time to set the line before the price changes drop and then I just have the rest of the night to deal with the backstock from the 3's and any guest pulls/SPUs. On weekends it gets a bit more hectic with the 5's, but those are usually around an hour and a half and with two people pulling they're done before 6, line is set by 7 or 7:15, rest of the night is backstock. This system is definitely more preferable than being stressed from 11-6 from the constant hourly CAFs, and worrying about whether or not you'll be able to get them pulled in time.

Online SPUs, Price Change, etc.
Manual CAFs before 1 pm
Pull smaller 1pm CAFs
POGs/Backstock/Push
3 PM CAFs
Push/Backstock
(Weekend) 5 PM CAFs/Push/Backstock
Acknowledge Truck
7 PM Dayside pulls Autofills
O/N BR only Backstocks

That's our new, normal process if everything is normal.

FF/RTS, SDA, pfresh autofills done before 9 am.
Research/EXFs, no manuals
1pm CAFs
Finish research/EXF, begin POGs
3pm CAFs
Backstock
Price Change
Set truck line
Overnight comes in at 10 to pull manuals, backstocks their own stuff.

That pretty much covers it. If the opener knows how to do the sweep, add that before the 1pm CAFs on Mon/Wed/Fri.

2 people should always pull the 3s and 5s sometimes 1s period. Projected time 3 or more hrs better get my cape. 11-6 was more stressful, however at least backroom hrs didnt go down the drain therefore have the staffing to do the job = 2 people always pulling. In a sense it is ASANTS I bet other backroom tms are just dedicated to backroom at most stores. Backroom is always looked at to help the floor now a days because of the workload change.

Online SPUs, Price Change, etc.
Manual CAFs before 1 pm
Pull smaller 1pm CAFs
POGs/Backstock/Push
3 PM CAFs
Push/Backstock
(Weekend) 5 PM CAFs/Push/Backstock
Acknowledge Truck
7 PM Dayside pulls Autofills
O/N BR only Backstocks

That's our new, normal process if everything is normal.

Huh, that's interesting. Ours looks a bit more like this:

SPUs/Guest pulls/Leftover backstock from the unload
Pull any research and EXFs (we don't do manuals)
Pull the 1PM CAFs
Backstock/Guest Pull/SPU/Research/EXF
Pull the 3PM CAFs
If a weekday, set the line; else Backstock/Guest Pull/SPU/Research/EXF until the 5's
Pull the 5PM CAFs
If a weekend, set the line
If a weekday, pull price change when they drop at 6PM
Backstock/SPUs/Guest Pulls/Projects until closing.

In 2 weeks or so we're having some people re-profile receiving. Our backroom is sort of a mess with how it's designed. We have the moving aisles in the light duty of the backroom, and that makes it a pain for pulling and backstocking. In receiving, one side of the line is a PITA to get to, and one of the aisles is usually impossible to get to since it has vendor crap everywhere. I hope they address some of those issues.

In 2 weeks or so we're having some people re-profile receiving. Our backroom is sort of a mess with how it's designed. We have the moving aisles in the light duty of the backroom, and that makes it a pain for pulling and backstocking. In receiving, one side of the line is a PITA to get to, and one of the aisles is usually impossible to get to since it has vendor crap everywhere. I hope they address some of those issues.

Oh, the joys of having a small backroom.

We're going through that in a few weeks as well, though I don't think we're getting anyone to help with it. Our BRTMs are grumbling about it but I'm hopeful that it can fix some issues with not having enough space for pipo or furniture. Our vendors have been told to get their shit in line because once this is done, there won't be any overflow palled spaces.

Have there been any changes to the price changes that I haven't heard about? I thought that they dropped Mon-Fri at 6pm, but for the past two weeks they haven't dropped at all during my Friday shift. Initially I just thought that there wasn't anything going clearance, but two weeks in a row seems a bit suspect. Are they now only dropping Mon-Thu?

Price change TMs should be working M-F, so the price change batches drop the night before (Su-Th).

Maybe I'm just losing my mind, because I seem to remember pulling price change batches on Fridays as well.

I might just be going crazy.

BBO2 price change was huge at my store tonight.

Has anyone else noticed that hummus is no longer PRO1 and is now DELI? The space allocated for DELI in my produce cooler is too small, so we've been continuing to backstock hummus in PRO1 locations, and now our DELI batches are considerably larger and go all over the place because we sell a lot of hummus.

Maybe I'm just losing my mind, because I seem to remember pulling price change batches on Fridays as well.

I might just be going crazy.

The only way there should be price change batches on a Friday night is if the Friday morning price changes were never pulled (they should've been pulled Thursday night).

Pardon the double post, but just got some unsettling news for our store.

I've posted about it before in this thread but we've been losing BRTM's like flies, starting with the veterans, and are only just now starting to get back some of our former manpower. Today I heard from the horse's mouth that our current veteran-most BRTM is transferring to another store, leaving me as our most veteran backroom team member if you exclude our BRTL. ME. I've only been in Logistics for the past 6 months or so, never got formal training, and have only been working 16-24 hours a week due to school. Everything that I know about the backroom has been learned either by trial and error, observation, or osmosis on these forums. Hell, the other day someone had to correct me on how BRLA actually works because I had just made what I thought was a logical conclusion as to how BRLA is calculated. That should be one of the first thing BRTM's learn! And I'll be the one training new team members! And what's unfortunate is that since the Logistics process varies so much on a store-by-store basis, I can only really rely on you guys for general knowledge and best practices.

And to top it off, our BRTL is working on overnight for another month before he goes on vacay for 2 weeks and our ETL-OPS is going to be out of commission for the next few weeks, which leaves our Pricing TL in charge of Dayside. However, she's only there Mon-Fri 7am-3:30pm and also still has to worry about Pricing. The coming weeks are going to be an absolute nightmare. I've made my concerns aware to my ETL-OPS, but for the next few weeks dayside at our store is going to take a huge turn for the worse unless my ETL-OPS was able to convince our STL to pull people from other workcenters and splurge on hours for dayside to keep us afloat without much leadership support. Things have already been pretty bad for the past couple weeks, with us leaving backstock for overnight almost every night because of a lack of man-power to take care of it all, let alone if we're down our most experienced and I would say valuable BRTM. Don't be surprised if my posts in the coming weeks are overly cynical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back