I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

hi guys, so im new to target, ive been there for about a month. I wanted to know if it was possible to not request the day off but request the time that I work that day. Im attending a concert at night so can I just ask for the morning shift or is there a longer process I have to go through??

Just do a partial time off request. Rather than requesting off the whole day, specify the time you need off (in your case, the evening). That way, they can schedule you in the morning if your availability allows.

Just do a partial time off request. Rather than requesting off the whole day, specify the time you need off (in your case, the evening). That way, they can schedule you in the morning if your availability allows.
Some stores don't do that. Whenever I would try and do a partial time off request they just mark the whole day off.

Hey guys and gals I have a bit of a concern. The 7th of this month was my 8th yr anniversary in spot. Not proud of it but I have a full belly and happy dogs so I can't complain I suppose. Long story short our clerical tm is out right now and we have this new fruit loop in who is mucking all kinds of stuff up and seems to not know how to do their job. They are NOT friendly and do NOT care about the team members (or TLs for that matter) scheduling requirements. I put a shift on the board the week our schedule came out because frankly I didn't want to work a 7hr cashier shift. They signed off on it and put "assigned to new team member" which I've never seen before but whatever I did my required job giving up the shift. My fellow tm messages me last night saying I got a no call no show AND I was apparently scheduled a split shift. . .now I'm ticked. I've never got a NCNS in my whole spot career. That shift was never a split which is why I put it on the swap shift as a full closing cashier shift. I went in immediately and looked at the posted schedule and it had been changed to a split shift. No one informed me and of course I didn't think to double check because our regular clerical person always keeps us in the loop on changes.The LOD that closed the night I apparently didn't show up was also there so I talked to them but now I'm worried because they have termed 3 people for a single NCNS the past month. . . What kind of battle am I looking at here? What should I be prepared for? Our HR is one of those you need to walk on egg shells around so catching them in a good mood is pretty much required to get anywhere :/

Last edited:
Maybe this has already answered, but why would anyone have a NCNS? I mean like, a NCNS is super easy to avoid, right? I read through the first few pages about people having multiple ones. Why wouldn't you call out?
It's harder with Flow, either you call the night before or you try to wake up to make the call. It's quite easy to oversleep your whole shift if you're careless.

@aronoiiel, if the swap shift was approved & signed off by lod or etl, you should be ok. For spot terming folks for a single NCNS, there has to be other things happening in those folks. Like CA, then final, etc.

Last edited:
@aronoiiel, if the swap shift was approved & signed off by old or etl, you should be ok. For spot terming folks for a single NCNS, there has to be other things happening in those folks. Like CA, then final, etc.
You are right clerical caught up with me and explained things. You would think i would learn to not be so paranoid :/ i hate the anxiety this place sparks in me -_-()

Last edited:
Should I call in? Saturday night last week I had to call out because I had a family emergency and I really couldn't show up at work for my Sunday shift (start at 4am), now I've been throwing up and feeling like crap some hours ago, and my shift starts in 6 hours. That would be my second call out. I'm worried!

So I have worked at target since 4/20 of this year...
The beginning of last month, I had to reduce my work schedule for school, so i only work closing friday-sunday. Unfortunately, last month, I had a family emergency that I had to go back home to (out of state) that I called in 2 days for, I was sick with the flu about two weeks after that, and then this Sunday I got into a car accident. In total I only have 6 call outs, but 4 of them were in the last month.
I'm just worried about getting fired, because even though I only work very part time, I need the money and I actually like the people I work with.
Do you think I will get fired?

So I have worked at target since 4/20 of this year...
The beginning of last month, I had to reduce my work schedule for school, so i only work closing friday-sunday. Unfortunately, last month, I had a family emergency that I had to go back home to (out of state) that I called in 2 days for, I was sick with the flu about two weeks after that, and then this Sunday I got into a car accident. In total I only have 6 call outs, but 4 of them were in the last month.
I'm just worried about getting fired, because even though I only work very part time, I need the money and I actually like the people I work with.
Do you think I will get fired?

Have you been coached or written up for attendance? If not, you'd only be fired for NCNSing 3+ times.

At my store I get attendance records each month for all of my team members and if they have not reported to work on time at least 95% of the time I am required to coach them. If they are really bad and them being late or calling out becomes a bad habit I have to put them on corrective action. I have done this two team members recently. One of them quit, rather than filling out her FMLA paperwork. Just tried to put the other on a final warning, but our previous ETL-HR did not dot all of the Is and cross all of the Ts, so I have to start over again. At least this go around I think I know what I need to do and if her attendance next month does not improve she WILL be on a final warning.

I was hired as a cashier the first week of august. I had a shift today from 12:45-9 and just called in sick (laying on my bathroom floor). Because I've only been here for 6 weeks will I get in trouble?

Shouldn't be in trouble since you called at least 2 hrs before your shift.
Hope you feel better.

My HR sends out weekly attendance reports and we have to coach on every attendance issue. Call out, late in, early out, everything. Only exceptions are bereavement and leaving early to cut ot. 1 NCNS is an instant final and the second is a termination.

Now I know all that may sound super rigid and harsh but my store is absolutely grotesque on attendance. Every team has at least 4-5 issues a week. Our gstl had 45 attendance issues with cashiers last week. That's absolutely insane.
Salefloor TM showed up 3 hours late for his shift (said he overslept) and wanted to leave 2 hours early because he had a headache.

I have absolutely no sympathy for attendance in my logistics because the same ones that have a million attendance issues are the ones that complain that they are broke. Well I'm throwing money at you every time I schedule you and you're not taking it so its no bother to me when you end up on a CCA for calling out or being late everyday for two weeks.

It's called being an adult. It's called having responsibilities. If you want to sleep in, don't apply for a 4am job.

Sorry I know that was kind of aggressive but attendance is literally the single most personally controllable factor in your employment. Its one of my buttons. :mad::oops::(

Our store's attendance was the pits on weekends.
If I was short on hours during the week, I could make bank on Saturday because of the number of call-outs we had.
Worse if the weather was nice or a concert in town.

Our store is coaching on every call out as well, which I think is total BS. One of my fellow techs had to call out a few weeks ago and was coached. This particular TM has been there a few years and it was literally the 2nd time they have called out.

I was scheduled against my availability (they did the same thing last week too, but called to tell me they fixed it) but this time they didn't call me to let me know they fixed it and I didn't work yesterday to ask (I hate trying to fix things over the phone, it never works out well). Out of curiosity I checked online and it seems my shift for the day was removed, but we're also told not to follow the online schedule. Do I call before my shift (in about an hour 15 min) confirming if it was removed, or just not show up? If I do call and I am scheduled do I tell them it's against my availability and I already talked to HR on Sunday about it? Will it be counted against me in any way because it's less than 2 hours before my shift? Should mention it's almost 8am and I work 9am so I wasn't even sure if you could call before that.

Last edited:
As soon as the newest schedule is posted, check your shifts.
If you find any that are outside your availability, notify HR ASAP. That's YOUR responsibility.
The sooner you tell them, the sooner they can find someone else or swap yours.
Waiting to the last minute to call or assuming it's been taken care of won't get you much sympathy even if it's THEIR fault.
Max & MyTime were supposed to be fool-proof but all that happened was they came up with a better fool.

As soon as the newest schedule is posted, check your shifts.
If you find any that are outside your availability, notify HR ASAP. That's YOUR responsibility.
The sooner you tell them, the sooner they can find someone else or swap yours.
Waiting to the last minute to call or assuming it's been taken care of won't get you much sympathy even if it's THEIR fault.
Max & MyTime were supposed to be fool-proof but all that happened was they came up with a better fool.
Yeah, I did. As soon as I noticed it, I told HR which was a couple days before the actual shift. Unfortunately HR is pretty hard to actually be able to track down which is why it was a couple days and not any more. Hell, the day I told them I only saw HR for a couple minutes before she essentially left because she was called on a walkie, I wasn't told anything other than "oh yeah I tried to fix it (your availability) for you but it wouldn't let me." I wasn't even told that earlier so I could try and change it myself online since I assumed everything was fine since I wasn't told anything either about it and the last few weeks were fine. On phone it's pretty much even worse to get a hold of them too. I did call and luckily I was taken off for the day, but hopefully this time my availability is actually on the system now and it won't happen again.

Back