I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

If you work hard you can move up in target. I started out as a seasonal TM and in the almost 3 years ive worked here ive been a brand manager and now im a TL. Truth of the matter is i make more than most people my age with a college degree just by working at target. Hard work pays off. Retail is not horrible, it has its days but all jobs are going to be tough sometimes.

TL is the ceiling. even if you get a Business Degree from an Ivy League School, they wont hire an ETL from within.

Comparing working at Target to a REAL job is insulting. I work a good job in addition to Target. They don't even compare. I won't call off my good job unless I'm dead. I won't hesitate to call off Target if I'm sick. The difference? My good job pays almost 6 times as much as Target. As to why I'm working at Target? Hours at my other job are hand in hand with the economy, more so than my hours at Target which are tied to consumer spending. consumers are a hell of a lot less fickle than investors and businessmen. That's beside the point.

Don't expect much out of people that you pay just over minimum wage. There's no such thing as "A job is a job". You get what you pay for, and Target is ain't paying for ************.

I would agree with your assessment. I, too, work a primary full-time job that pays more money and only work part-time at Target to supplement my income. Our store routinely loses new hires because they don't pay squat. Funny that the geniuses at corporate haven't figured out yet that when you pay crappy wages you're 1) not gonna get very many applicants and 2) retain very many applicants and 3) get any decent applicants.

I would agree with your assessment. I, too, work a primary full-time job that pays more money and only work part-time at Target to supplement my income. Our store routinely loses new hires because they don't pay squat. Funny that the geniuses at corporate haven't figured out yet that when you pay crappy wages you're 1) not gonna get very many applicants and 2) retain very many applicants and 3) get any decent applicants.
And it costs more money to train a new person than to retain one especially a good one. (yeah even spot training costs)

Asking for a TM who was supposed to close tonight:

One of our Hardlines TMs woke up feeling sick, and found coverage for the shift earlier this morning. She let them know and they swapped it on the schedule for the TM picking up the shift. Would this be considered calling out if she found someone to work for her? Or would it be like a last-minute swap shift?

Asking for a TM who was supposed to close tonight:

One of our Hardlines TMs woke up feeling sick, and found coverage for the shift earlier this morning. She let them know and they swapped it on the schedule for the TM picking up the shift. Would this be considered calling out if she found someone to work for her? Or would it be like a last-minute swap shift?

It's not calling out if she found someone

This ^
It's called "being a responsible adult" - something in short supply these days.
Amen!!! It is so simple. Use the tools that Target does give you. Basically with the Swap Shift board you have free reign to make your own schedule to some degree. The other part is that it really does affect your team and friends on that team. It is so hard to make up for people who just do not give a crap.

We have the "Trending Christie Crisis" as well. This person trends all the time and our store has a new ETL-HR and all attendance has been reviewed and everyone received a really nice "hey just a reminder" conversation instead of diving straight into the coaching and CA's. It went over really well. It was appreciated that she took the time to talk to the team instead of issue out a bunch of shame on you's. Attendance has improved because of it. We are lucky.

So I swapped a shift with a coworker, my hardlines 3 to 11:00 his electronics 4 to 11:30

I checked online and the LOD swapped it and put me under electronics 3 to 11:30

Am I supposed to show up to that 3 when the shift was 4? Do I just shut up and take the extra hour and have a 1 hr overlap w the electronics opener?

If you work hard you can move up in target. I started out as a seasonal TM and in the almost 3 years ive worked here ive been a brand manager and now im a TL. Truth of the matter is i make more than most people my age with a college degree just by working at target. Hard work pays off. Retail is not horrible, it has its days but all jobs are going to be tough sometimes.

His post was terribly snobby I'm surprised more people didn't jump on him for it. Target has its flaws but there are much worse places to work. Target is the one place you can work and guaranteed you will make some really great friends. Impossible to work at a store where everyone sucks.

Dang yall are worried over missing a few days, I was on an LOA due to back issues for 1 Year and a few days. Had surgery and am back at work now. Crazy how it can vary so much!

LOA is night and day difference. You go off of mytime and the system schedules around you. Calling out means you were scheduled and can't be there. Most likely your shift won't be replaced.

Okay so I picked up a shift yesterday. ETL came up to me and asked if I was working tomorrow [today now] and I said no. And she asked if I want a shift and I said depends on what it is. And she said closing, and what do I wanna do. So I picked closing hardlines and she was like awesome so 7pm to closing good? I was like yeah and we fist bumped and that was that.

So the online schedule still says I have no shift today, and every time I've picked up a shift it's been added in. So, if my name isn't there on the grid, am I technically still off? Should I call the store, ask them if I'm on the grid, and if I'm not, just don't say anything about picking up the shift and see what happens? Should I ask if that ETL is there and confirm the shift? My mom wants to go to Little Tokyo today but since I picked up the shift.... OTL

Sometimes we just don't get around to keying the swapped shifts in mytime. Or it doesn't update immediately.

I got really sick overnight with a cold. The snot just absolutely flows when I have a cold. I can't stop sneezing and I'm gonna need to blow my nose every 1-2 minutes. Just blew it again lol. I sound like someone permanently sewed my nose shut but the amount of snot makes that very un-evident.. I feel like I should call in but my store needs cashiers and I feel like death, but maybe I should just do it? I don't wanna get snot all over customer's stuff. I also don't wanna look like the bad guy to my GSTLs who know I know we have a bit of a short staff issue.

Eh, maybe I'll just do it. I got 30 minutes to think about it before I hit the two hour mark where I can't call in lol.

Eh, maybe I'll just do it. I got 30 minutes to think about it before I hit the two hour mark where I can't call in lol.
Nothing will happen if you call off within two hours of your shift start time. In fact, you have up to two hours AFTER the shift starts to call before it becomes an NCNS.

The downside of course is that it gives them less time to get your shift covered, and will be annoying for your TL and the LOD.

I got really sick overnight with a cold. The snot just absolutely flows when I have a cold. I can't stop sneezing and I'm gonna need to blow my nose every 1-2 minutes. Just blew it again lol. I sound like someone permanently sewed my nose shut but the amount of snot makes that very un-evident.. I feel like I should call in but my store needs cashiers and I feel like death, but maybe I should just do it? I don't wanna get snot all over customer's stuff. I also don't wanna look like the bad guy to my GSTLs who know I know we have a bit of a short staff issue.

Hope you're feeling better. Have you taken any medicine?

I'm really worried about getting fired:( I have called off since last Friday.I have crohn's so I get sick from time to time. I called in today and I'm supposed to work tomorrow but I highly doubt I'll make it since I am still sick. Should I call them today and tell them I can't make it?? Or should I wait until tomorrow or should I just show up tomorrow even though I'm incredibly sick? I'm so scared of getting fired because I've called off everyday since Friday.

I'm really worried about getting fired:( I have called off since last Friday.I have crohn's so I get sick from time to time. I called in today and I'm supposed to work tomorrow but I highly doubt I'll make it since I am still sick. Should I call them today and tell them I can't make it?? Or should I wait until tomorrow or should I just show up tomorrow even though I'm incredibly sick? I'm so scared of getting fired because I've called off everyday since Friday.

I actually pulled my lead over last week to talk to him about a similar issue. He told me that if I'm able to get a doctor's note stating what I have and how it affects me, they can file it in their system. That way if you have to call out due to that medical problem, they know that you're not just BSing them. The file is completely confidential and isn't passed around, so you don't have to worry about that.

If you think you may have to call out tomorrow, call today. That gives them more than enough time to get someone to cover the shift or move people around as needed.

Back