I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

We got a lot today ! I got one person to sign up for one today it my third day cashiering and I feel like they are happier with me know that I got my first one !

So at my store we are SERIOUSLY pushed to get red cards. I honestly feel that even if our drawer was $500 short, as long as we got a red card they'd be glad. That being said, what exactly does target get for getting red cards? I get it that it helps build a "loyal" guest but with the way that my GSA's & TL's act, you'd think that it gave the store 1 million dollars. We even are told to push them at SELF CHECKOUT. my GSA's would even come out of their pocket to reward us for red cards.

The main statistic tracked should be Red Card transaction percentage (Penetration). What percent of guests pay with a Red Card, the higher the %, the higher the continued loyalty is. Which IMO (as well as any sane person) would say is more important, than one Red Card app.

I always ALWAYS ask what our Red Card penetration is after I am told we are behind on Red cards for the weekly goal.

The theory behind the Redcard is that it drives loyalty and repeat customers. Unfortunately, it's been bastardized into a metric to judge the performance of the front end. Everyone is tired of having to push them, but the thing is that if we don't make goal it's the GSA/GSTL that is held responsible so we have to do everything imaginable to try and drive them. Plus, in the past few weeks our weekly goal has been increasing in preparation of the holidays.

So at my store we are SERIOUSLY pushed to get red cards. I honestly feel that even if our drawer was $500 short, as long as we got a red card they'd be glad. That being said, what exactly does target get for getting red cards? I get it that it helps build a "loyal" guest but with the way that my GSA's & TL's act, you'd think that it gave the store 1 million dollars. We even are told to push them at SELF CHECKOUT. my GSA's would even come out of their pocket to reward us for red cards.

The search function is always going to be your best friend.
I understand that sometimes a thread as big as this one can be a bit daunting but there is a reason for the size.
Mostly because people start new Redcard threads all the time.

How does your store drive REDcards? How do you utilize the CSR, on-stage/off-stage conversations, prizes/recognition, meeting daily goals, etc?

They push our cashiers by "sitting down with them". They still come to me and say, "you haven't been getting enough REDCards this month". I respond with, "Um..........you do realize I work outside right?.............the carts don't want REDCards".

(Also shoutout to me for being waaaaaaaaay to late to this thread)

Haven't gotten a REDcard in about a month. Getting pretty frustrated at this point to be asked "Are you gonna get me a REDcard today?" each time I come in and I can only reply the same way: "I'm doing the best I can".

Yerp our goal was 121 last week, we've been red the last 3 weeks. I'm sure our goal got upped again, but I haven't been in to work this sales week to check it.

Ours upped as well to "make up for all the times we missed our goal" aka every goal since March.

One of the GSA is now constantly telling me "so you gonna get how many red cards today?" to which I usually reply ".....1?" (mostly because the SrTL/GSTL/whatever he is on that day told me 1 per day is pretty much the goal) and she'll like look straight past me (like not make eye contact and look just slightly away from me) and smile in some really unsettling way and repeat "how many are you gonna get me today?"

It's...pretty scary and I want no part in it. Also she can bugger off considering lately every single GSA (including her)/GSTL has realised "holy crap Kaitii can zone and do dollar spot go backs like a beast" and I'm not on a register anywhere near as much as I used to be.

I think more people would be interested in signing up if the card gave at least 15 (or more) percent off. I think the Kohls and Old Navy cards give 25 or 30 percent off. Five percent isn't that impressive unless you're buying something really big. I really hate those cards though since its all my store cares about. All I hear over the walki is "WHO'S GIVING TO BE THE NEXT TO HELP OUR GUEST SAVE FIVE PERCENT !!?" They even told me to keep going if the guest says they don't want to sign up which I think is extremely rude! If someone doesn't want to sign up I change the subject.

Last edited:
I always thought they should give it a little jump start:
-15% off your first transaction UPON APPROVAL; if it requires 'further processing', then 5% off your trans.
-2 free reusable bags; my town doesn't permit plastic bags but does offer .05 off for each reusable bag. It's also free brand advertising.
-Special sales & promos JUST for Red Card holders (using the card)

I always thought they should give it a little jump start:
-15% off your first transaction UPON APPROVAL; if it requires 'further processing', then 5% off your trans.
-2 free reusable bags; my town doesn't permit plastic bags but does offer .05 off for each reusable bag. It's also free brand advertising.
-Special sales & promos JUST for Red Card holders (using the card)
We kinda did that this last month. If you showed or signed up for a REDCard you got a plaid reusable bag. We still have so many of them lying around. But all that other stuff would help out a lot.

I would still kinda prefer just a loyalty card. Kinda like how Fresh and Easy (rip their poor soul) had a card where you rack up points and every 500 points = 5 dollars

At least as an alternative to the red card for those who don't want/can't have it

Have to agree with everything being said here. I enjoy my 15% off of stuff. But pretty much everyone else has to deal with only 5%. Not good enough in my opinion. Add something else. I do however always forget the free shipping and extended warranty. But then again it doesn't seem like those matter that much to most people.

One of the GSA is now constantly telling me "so you gonna get how many red cards today?" to which I usually reply ".....1?" (mostly because the SrTL/GSTL/whatever he is on that day told me 1 per day is pretty much the goal) and she'll like look straight past me (like not make eye contact and look just slightly away from me) and smile in some really unsettling way and repeat "how many are you gonna get me today?"

It's...pretty scary and I want no part in it. Also she can bugger off considering lately every single GSA (including her)/GSTL has realised "holy crap Kaitii can zone and do dollar spot go backs like a beast" and I'm not on a register anywhere near as much as I used to be.

And then you reply, "Oh sorry, I thought you heard me say I am trying to get ONE."

Back