I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

To people who have survived a black friday cashiering - do you change up the way you ask? The GSTLs at my store are already telling cashier who might work the first 4 hours of black friday that those are the hours when we'll get the most redcards. I'm alright at getting them on normal days but I'm not really sure what to expect when asking on black friday.

I know it's controversial, but I still think we need to go back to giving prizes for RedCards. When the leaders at my store get really desperate they start giving out prizes. Why? Because it works. I hope we don't go back to the stupid games though. After an exhausting 8 hour shift on a register, let's not make the cashier hunt for the GSA to pop a balloon and win a candy bar. (Or a high-five)

I always thought they should give it a little jump start:
-15% off your first transaction UPON APPROVAL; if it requires 'further processing', then 5% off your trans.
-2 free reusable bags; my town doesn't permit plastic bags but does offer .05 off for each reusable bag. It's also free brand advertising.
-Special sales & promos JUST for Red Card holders (using the card)

ASANTS. Our store actually does the 15% off, whether you get approved or not. I thought that REDcard holders (at least the credit card holders) do get special sales, well, coupons mailed to them.

I know it's controversial, but I still think we need to go back to giving prizes for RedCards. When the leaders at my store get really desperate they start giving out prizes. Why? Because it works. I hope we don't go back to the stupid games though. After an exhausting 8 hour shift on a register, let's not make the cashier hunt for the GSA to pop a balloon and win a candy bar. (Or a high-five)

ASANTS again. My store has been giving out prizes for a while now, including $10 requisition per card we got last week.

I have to roll my eyes and cringe a little bit anytime I hear the newer cashiers try and get people to sign up for REDCards. I understand that spot wants them like crazy, and I also know that the ETLs/LODs are constantly asking that you get more. But I can't stand it when the new people say, "hellowelcometotargetdoyouwannasignupforatargetREDCARDtodayandsave5%todayandeveryday!!!!?????" Seriously, there is no need to be a robot. I get it that you want to do good, but you don't have to act like those robots from Elysium giving Matt Daemon his pills. Chill out, be a human being please. Yes, maybe you do get more REDCards than me (I work outside so kinda pointless on your part), but it feels really weird when you act that way, I can tell as I walk by the guest looks at me like they want me to help them escape from hell.

5% ain't shit. That's why Spot will match that on a 401k... cuz it ain't shit!

5% ain't shit. That's why Spot will match that on a 401k... cuz it ain't shit!

That and the fact that most TMs can't afford to put money in a 401k, not even 5% of their salary

Last edited by a moderator:
ASANTS. Our store actually does the 15% off, whether you get approved or not. I thought that REDcard holders (at least the credit card holders) do get special sales, well, coupons mailed to them.

We're actually not allowed to give out anything above the 5%. One store in my district did the 15% off thing, and the DTL came down on them hard.

To people who have survived a black friday cashiering - do you change up the way you ask? The GSTLs at my store are already telling cashier who might work the first 4 hours of black friday that those are the hours when we'll get the most redcards. I'm alright at getting them on normal days but I'm not really sure what to expect when asking on black friday.

It should be fine with your normal pitch. You could throw in some "Would you like to save an additional 5% on top of all our deals today?" or something like that. Getting Red Cards was never my strong suit though, so take it with a grain of salt.

When I was a noob cashier, they actually turned off the Red Card prompts for the first 30-60 min so guests would get through the lanes more quickly. We still got a shit ton of conversions that year because people actually wanted Red Cards.

Full disclosure: This was when the store actually opened ON Black Friday.

I'm so bad at getting REDCards. At one point I even said, "You don't want a REDCard do you?". After that I realized my full potential. To not sell REDCards.

I used to joke that my conversion (an old metric we used to use for Red Cards) was negative because I got them so rarely.

I dunno if it still does, but when I last trained someone via training mode, the prompts still showed up :p

It took me a while to realize that they did away with the Red Card prompts.

They got rid of the prompts when they got rid of conversion.

I dunno if it still does, but when I last trained someone via training mode, the prompts still showed up :p

Did they ever update the training guide after they changed the Red Card metrics? The booklet always said to only ask guests when prompted, but now there are no prompts. Does this mean we don't have to ask guests?

They got rid of the prompts when they got rid of conversion.

Did they ever update the training guide after they changed the Red Card metrics? The booklet always said to only ask guests when prompted, but now there are no prompts. Does this mean we don't have to ask guests?

I training one of our new GSA's on cashiering and he asked me that question about asking for the Red Card. I wish we only had to ask when there was a prompt, would make cashiering a lot less stressful for some people.

But yeah, the prompts still show up on training mode which is odd.

Was told that our goal is going up to 290 Black Friday week. Nice.

Does not compute. That's 41 redcards per day. I'm the record holder at our store for most red cards in a day at 34, and that was on the busiest Saturday of my life. Your store must be insanely high volume or corporate is massively overestimating your store. Maybe both.

Does not compute. That's 41 redcards per day. I'm the record holder at our store for most red cards in a day at 34, and that was on the busiest Saturday of my life. Your store must be insanely high volume or corporate is massively overestimating your store. Maybe both.
AA+, second-highest volume store in the state. Our goal was 160 last week, which we made, and 190 this week, which they're going to make. What's another 100 on top of that?

AA+, second-highest volume store in the state. Our goal was 160 last week, which we made, and 190 this week, which they're going to make. What's another 100 on top of that?

That's nuts. My store is A or A+, and our goal last week was only 121 and we were almost 30 short on Saturday night. I haven't been in since then so I'm not sure what our goal is for the week or how far behind we are, but I'm sure I'll find out as soon as I go in tonight...

Can someone describe the process of helping a guest apply for a RedCard? I know that the Debit and Credit RedCards have slightly different processes. I'm a new cashier and am really overwhelmed by this since I didn't learn it properly when I performed the exercise in self training

Can someone describe the process of helping a guest apply for a RedCard? I know that the Debit and Credit RedCards have slightly different processes. I'm a new cashier and am really overwhelmed by this since I didn't learn it properly when I performed the exercise in self training

You should have some RedCard application pamflets in the drawer below your register. Get one out, scan the barcode at the top (One sides is for english, one is for spanish) and then the guest will just input all of the relevant information on the keypad. Very little cashier interaction. If it's a debit card, then they have to have a blank check and then once you start the application you run the blank check through the check reader just like you would any other check. If it's credit, you won't have to do anything. About half way through the application it'll have the guest hand you their ID, which you can then scan or manually input if needed. The only thing you might have to do is input the address of the applicant if the address on their ID isn't current.

Also I heard today that our Red Card goal is going up to 240 for the week of Thanksgiving. There isn't a chance in hell that's happening, We are 100 behind our goal for the week, and it's already Thursday. So glad I'm not working Saturday night.

Back