I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

We got idle threats today. Apparently we are way way down in red cards when we were number 1 for 2 months and they aren't happy...... Basically you got to get 4 redcards on your shift or there will be CA. I can see 1 or 2 redcards but 4 come on....... I know they are way down but sheesh threats isn't the way to go and yes I know redcards is apart of your job but again 4 is setting the bar kinda high when sometimes you are lucky if you even get one or sometimes you get nothing. I know it's coming from the higher ups and then they push it onto the ETLS and in return scare TMs by saying you better do this when reality you know they probably won't do CA I mean sure if you don't ask they can say you didn't do your job but they can't put you on CA if you didn't get redcards. I mean seriously....... Scare tactics gotta love them;)

Wow, my old store is now requiring 2 Red Cards per shift. Some days you can do that in an hour, and some days you can't get any even if your life depended upon it. Otherwise, you get to have a "talk" with the GSTL or LOD before you leave. So never mind that you had 4 the day before, if you didn't make your quota, you get
to "chat" with management. My former GSA also told me that those who don't ask EVERY guest are being performanced out. Yes, you should ask, I agree with that. However, this store is also having a very hard time getting new employees (including seasonals who don't quit after a few days) since they won't raise starting pay over $9/hr, so not sure where they will get more employees after they performance out everyone! Feeling very grateful to have left last month!

S
We got idle threats today. Apparently we are way way down in red cards when we were number 1 for 2 months and they aren't happy...... Basically you got to get 4 redcards on your shift or there will be CA. I can see 1 or 2 redcards but 4 come on....... I know they are way down but sheesh threats isn't the way to go and yes I know redcards is apart of your job but again 4 is setting the bar kinda high when sometimes you are lucky if you even get one or sometimes you get nothing. I know it's coming from the higher ups and then they push it onto the ETLS and in return scare TMs by saying you better do this when reality you know they probably won't do CA I mean sure if you don't ask they can say you didn't do your job but they can't put you on CA if you didn't get redcards. I mean seriously....... Scare tactics gotta love them;)

Same here. We are way down. Seems really hard right now to get a red card, I am happy when I get one per shift. 4 seems impossible.

Oh it is impossible. I haven't gotten one all week and I am really hurting and believe me I asked I have pleaded and I ask those people who don't want to part with their checks and they still aren't having it:rolleyes: It's been too busy for CA this week but I know I am due because I didn't get any this week and I know I will get yelled at. I mean 4 is the goal and I got none and of course I hear it when other people get them like suzy got 4 why can't you get 4? Maybe suzy is lucky I don't know.... She's magical.

I think it's sad that you can bust your butt at work, stay longer, come in early etc and not get a thanks but when you get a stupid red card, you get a thank you. I didn't get any for three days, got three today, so hopefully that will make up for the days I didn't get any.

Before I left one of the chief complaints from the GSTLs/GSAs were about select cashiers who were always late/taking their break super early/delaying their breaks/taking long breaks & not getting coached for it.
Why?
Because they're redcard rockstars.
And they know it.

At my old store we have staggered lanes and we HAD to go out to the racetrack to greet the Guests but there was ALWAYS some asshole who went down an empty lane and walked the middle to find an empty lane, well 3 ladies approached me on how to apply for Target cards, wow 3 cards in one day and I didn't even have to do any work, well this guy who took the short cut got to my lane first and when I told him that these 3 Ladies were in front of him he got all pissy and threw a shit fit, so loud the GSTL heard, I explained what happenend and she just said take this guy and I WILL help these ladies apply for their red cards. I lost out on 3 cards and then got bitched at because I was talking to guests and not paying attention to my register, plus she bitched at me for NOT getting any cards, and when I came back with thatshe stole three cards from me I was written up.

No one has mentioned red cards to me in about two weeks and I haven't asked a single guest (well a couple who had huge transactions just to check). I've never been happier as a cashier. Ever.

I'd like to think it was cos I ""threatened"" to leave them for hardlines lmao

No one has mentioned red cards to me in about two weeks and I haven't asked a single guest (well a couple who had huge transactions just to check). I've never been happier as a cashier. Ever.

I'd like to think it was cos I ""threatened"" to leave them for hardlines lmao

I am the same way I ask when the guest has a big order but other than that most people at my store get huffy if you ask. If target was serious about red cards then they would give us commission for them, housefly I await the day that they coach me for red cards because when they do I am going to tell them how I really feel ;)

We have a couple of TMs who will walk the floor with the smaller brochure. If they see someone with a large basket, they go in the for the kill. LOL IT actually works most times.

When we get really desperate we have TMs walk around with the brochures handing out mini cupcakes while they "educate" guests about the Redcards. I had to laugh the first time they did it, because it's such a great idea; guests already love being educated harassed about Redcards in just the check lanes.

Hi all. I was hired as a seasonal cashier and rather than being let go 2 weeks ago, I signed a paper saying "congrats, you get to stay permanently." So that's all well and good but every cashier got taken into a "pow-wow" last week and given the red card mantra because apparently our store is the lowest in the district for red cards. I was told that I was one of the fastest, most efficient cashiers but my conversion rate sucks. Okaaaaaay. This wasn't that big of a deal when I was seasonal and now, it is? Makes me wonder if I shouldn't have signed the paper and just walked away. Anywho...my question: can I sign my husband up for one or is that a no-no? Thanks!

Yes, you can.
In fact, you can call in as many family members as you like to get them to sign up for a red card with you but pace it over time so they don't expect an outrageous number of redcards every week.
We used to call it the 'friends & family plan'.

Hi all. I was hired as a seasonal cashier and rather than being let go 2 weeks ago, I signed a paper saying "congrats, you get to stay permanently." So that's all well and good but every cashier got taken into a "pow-wow" last week and given the red card mantra because apparently our store is the lowest in the district for red cards. I was told that I was one of the fastest, most efficient cashiers but my conversion rate sucks. Okaaaaaay. This wasn't that big of a deal when I was seasonal and now, it is? Makes me wonder if I shouldn't have signed the paper and just walked away. Anywho...my question: can I sign my husband up for one or is that a no-no? Thanks!

You can sign up your DH. However, at some point you will run out of friends and family to sign up. The stores seem to be putting significant pressure on TMs to get RCs these days, and that likely won't change. You'll need to become proficient in getting sign ups, or be prepared for continuous nagging to get them.

My face when I preach the benefits of a REDcard, and then the application needs "further review..."
Here's the thing: having that spit out isn't necessarily a denial. Some guests have told me that they just needed more information about them (i.e. Social Security card, proof of residence, etc) and then they get the card.

Here's the thing: having that spit out isn't necessarily a denial. Some guests have told me that they just needed more information about them (i.e. Social Security card, proof of residence, etc) and then they get the card.

When I applied for my check card, I was sentenced to Needs Further Review purgatory. But that was only because I didn't have a check history in Target's system.

I've been told "further review" still counts as getting one.

It does. What matters is whether or not the guest completes the application, not whether or not he/she is approved.

Back