I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

I can't believe I seen a picture where the goal was 15 RCs. My store our goal is 80 a day lol. As a GSA I'm constantly harassed to harass my team to drive RCs. Now my ETL wants us to start coaching cashiers if they don't get the expected 5 per shift.

I started as a cashier and my loyalty is with my team. I don't harass them because I know how it feels, especially when you're trying and no one wants to sign up. It's easy for an ETL sitting in his or her's office to tell you to make sure you're having conversations with the cashiers because we need to reach our incredibly ridiculous goal, because they don't need to maintain a relationship with the cashiers, the GSA/GSTLs do.

I literally watched my cashiers ask every guest and they all say no. The problem is the product is terrible. Good products sell themselves. 5% isn't even tax in our state. Cartwheel is a better deal honestly. My cashiers try incredibly hard we average 50 RCs a day. That's why I rather take the bullet for them. I'm not doing the ridiculous coaching, my ETLs can hold me accountable if they want to. It isn't fair and the product is a turd.

Guest traffic in our store is crazy. Always packed. Still ringing up guest after midnight. Here is the kicker, like 90% of our cashiers take public transit and the last bus leaves at 12:15am. Miss that and you're not getting home for a long time. Frustrating beyond words.

This makes the constant cutting of hours ridiculous. ETLs are able to hide, but as a front end leader most of my day is being directed to a guest who wants to talk to me. I get there and it's always "why don't you have more registers open" or "this is ridiculous you need to hire more people". You know stuff I don't have control over. I just have to sit there and apologize. SPOT seems to think everything is fine though.

To put it in perspective our sales goal per day is usually $250,000+ to $350,000+. We're in a big city.

I can't believe I seen a picture where the goal was 15 RCs. My store our goal is 80 a day lol. As a GSA I'm constantly harassed to harass my team to drive RCs. Now my ETL wants us to start coaching cashiers if they don't get the expected 5 per shift.

Lol our goal is 80 a week and cashiers are expected to get 1 per shift.

If a customer apples and gets denied for the red card, do they still receive the 5% discount for that purchase?

How does a cashier apply the 5% discount for a denied red card?

If a customer apples and gets denied for the red card, do they still receive the 5% discount for that purchase?

How does a cashier apply the 5% discount for a denied red card?

Depends on your store, we used to give the 5% for just applying but are no longer doing it. Talk to your GSTL and ETL GE. You can take 5% off each item or just take 5% off the full purchase before taxes.

My cashiers try incredibly hard we average 50 RCs a day. That's why I rather take the bullet for them. I'm not doing the ridiculous coaching, my ETLs can hold me accountable if they want to. It isn't fair and the product is a turd.

Can you transfer to my store, please? Our GSTL is leaving our store.

Depends on your store, we used to give the 5% for just applying but are no longer doing it. Talk to your GSTL and ETL GE. You can take 5% off each item or just take 5% off the full purchase before taxes.

What reason do you use for the discount in the register?

At our store, when someone is denied, the screen on the register says "GUEST DENIED: TAKE 5% OFF PURCHASE" so I just put it as a target coupon

At our store, when someone is denied, the screen on the register says "GUEST DENIED: TAKE 5% OFF PURCHASE" so I just put it as a target coupon

Really? At my store, it just gives me the. "The application needs further review..." screen and it prints out a little slip with information. I always take that as a nice way of saying, "Sorry fam, youz brok lulz." And we don't give the 5% off.

Really? At my store, it just gives me the. "The application needs further review..." screen and it prints out a little slip with information. I always take that as a nice way of saying, "Sorry fam, youz brok lulz." And we don't give the 5% off.
I think maybe it's supposed to cushion the blow or something haha or maybe encourage them to try for the debit instead

Target needs to modify how you can sign up for Redcards to include being able to use your debit card, because the majority of people coming through the line don't carry their checkbook on them, or even have checks. We're expected to push for Redcards, then take away an option for signing up. I myself have lost at least 5-10 guests that would've signed up but didn't have a check and didn't want to sign up for the credit card.

Target needs to modify how you can sign up for Redcards to include being able to use your debit card, because the majority of people coming through the line don't carry their checkbook on them, or even have checks. We're expected to push for Redcards, then take away an option for signing up. I myself have lost at least 5-10 guests that would've signed up but didn't have a check and didn't want to sign up for the credit card.
At my store they have them do it online in the store. If they live in the same city the store gets credit. Takes about 10 minutes to do it in store and the person needs to know the bank routing number and their account number. Not very efficient, but it's all about getting that red card.

Talking about the red card... how does your store push them? To me, there is a difference between asking and selling. My store is really pushing the cashiers to sell them.

Talking about the red card... how does your store push them? To me, there is a difference between asking and selling. My store is really pushing the cashiers to sell them.
Same with ours, the lod will get on the walkie and say "we need to get x ammount of red cards, come on team, i know we can do it" I'd like to ask the lod if they have a French mouse in their pocket, cuz WE ain't doing nothing, I'm the one doing all the work!

I don't think there is a way for Target to do it differently. They need your actual bank account number because debit red card transactions go through as electronic bank transfers. Debit cards can only authorize one-time transactions, not link something permanently to your bank account.

I don't think there is a way for Target to do it differently. They need your actual bank account number because debit red card transactions go through as electronic bank transfers. Debit cards can only authorize one-time transactions, not link something permanently to your bank account.
There used to be a test phase for where you could enter in your account info while applying , and a blank training check when in, and For some reason it was stopped. Something like that would work well

This isnt ASANTS, its like that company wide. You can get away with murder if you are good at getting RC signups

Your bank debit card is linked to your checking account, so why wouldn't you be able to stick your card in the card reader to get your banking info? A debit card acts as a check.

Your bank debit card is linked to your checking account, so why wouldn't you be able to stick your card in the card reader to get your banking info? A debit card acts as a check.

Sfsfun is actually right. The debit red card is not like a regular debit card that immediately takes money out (at least at my bank)

Whenever I make a purchase with my debit red card, it takes a day or two to show up and the money comes out as an ACH transfer.

Heres a breakdown of the difference.

Screenshot_20170117-065353.png

I wish people were able to enter their account information on the card reader to sign up. A lot of our guests have their banking info on their phone but they don't have checks. We are no longer allowed to have people sign up on the ipad in our store.
Like HR zone said, a cashier who is good at selling red cards can get away with anything. A few NS/NC no problem, a little theft here and there? No problem. Just sell some red cards and all is forgiven.

Our store usage is at 27%, district usage is at 17%. A lot of guests are complaining in their surveys about how pushy the cashiers are and how they don't want to be bothered every single time they shop at target. Target needs to start listening to their guests.

Back