I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

I've never taken cash out when using my RC debit card. I notice if I use it more than once in any three day period, it gets denied the second time. At least so far. I just don't use it a second time in 3 days now and I haven't had an issue...yet.

You might want to call and have them look into that. I use mine at lunch and then usually again after work with no problems ever...for days in a row sometimes. I don't take out cash either. I'd be so annoyed if I were you! :(

My leaders keep giving us incentives to keep asking and asking.

But the truth is, the only real incentive for me to ever ask more than I do will be the day when GUESTS have more incentive to sign up on the spot.

But the truth is, the only real incentive for me to ever ask more than I do will be the day when GUESTS have more incentive to sign up on the spot.
This.
It's hard to get a guest whipped up about something when you yourself can't get excited over it.
And job retention is not enough to make me paint a fake smile & wax poetic about buggering up their credit for ho-hum rewards.

This.
It's hard to get a guest whipped up about something when you yourself can't get excited over it.
And job retention is not enough to make me paint a fake smile & wax poetic about buggering up their credit for ho-hum rewards.

Yeah, when your only incentive is not being yelled at it tends to make selling things a trifle challenging.

Why Target can't offer a bigger percentage off at sign up is dumb. I know Kohl's offers 25% for signing up. Their margin is probably way different so maybe Target can't do that, but 15% would make me feel a thousand times less like a creep for asking people to sign up for a lousy 5%.

^This.
An older lady I worked with long ago had a pretty good pitch:
10% off for applying (whether you were approved or not) then 5% thereafter (some guests would wait until they had a large purchase to apply back in the day).
You'd also get a free gift of two reusable shopping bags, which was good for advertising brand & would offer a small bonus in areas with bag bans.
Coupled with today's free shipping & extended return window, it would def be more appealing.
She came up with some clever signage & soundbites too but corp just sniffed & said "Thank you for writing".

^This.
An older lady I worked with long ago had a pretty good pitch:
10% off for applying (whether you were approved or not) then 5% thereafter (some guests would wait until they had a large purchase to apply back in the day).
You'd also get a free gift of two reusable shopping bags, which was good for advertising brand & would offer a small bonus in areas with bag bans.
Coupled with today's free shipping & extended return window, it would def be more appealing.
She came up with some clever signage & soundbites too but corp just sniffed & said "Thank you for writing".

Yup. This. I can't see their issue with this type of offer. It's like they don't know real, normal people who think 5% is lame...like we're all the poors who would jump at the chance to save money.

Hell, here in California just the free bags would probably sell a lot of Red cards. Oh Target, why you so dumb??

I'm only a backup cashier and pick up a few shifts here and there as a cashier, so as a backup cashier I come up to the lanes when thery're already busy, so I see no reason why I should tie up the lanes further by pushing red cards, with all the signs all over the place advertising them, I'm pretty sure the guests know about the Red cards. Further Lur99 is right, majority of the guests don't want to be bothered with the red card speech by the cashier. I routinely read the Google/Yelp reviews for my store, and a lot of the comments are about how they like the self checkout's, because they don't have to be bothered by the cashier asking about signing up for red cards.

At my store they make the self checkout TM (depending on if it is a GSTL or GSA watching) ask EVERY SINGLE guest that goes to self checkout about the Red Card. I feel like I am being so annoying whenever I ask.

At my store they make the self checkout TM (depending on if it is a GSTL or GSA watching) ask EVERY SINGLE guest that goes to self checkout about the Red Card. I feel like I am being so annoying whenever I ask.
Yikes! It can get so redundant asking too. I always try to vary how I ask every 3-4 guests so I don't feel like a robot spouting off the same questions every time.

Despite my leadership's views, I don't make the SCO cashier ask for red cards. If it comes up somehow, great! However, what I've found is that most people using SCO just want to get in, scan their stuff and get out - or at least that's what I find when I use it at grocery stores and the like. I don't think it's right to badger guests who really don't want to be badgered. Then again, I have a lot of opinions on red cards but I'd probably get fired for even thinking badly of them.

They usually have me on phones so I'm rarely available for backup, but I can't get anyone to sign up for a red card when I am on backup. What is everyone's secret? I explain there's both a credit and debit version, I explain how the debit version works if guests worry about fees or needing to open a new account, at the end of the transaction I tell them roughly how much they'd save that transaction if they signed up, and yet I am batting zero. One of the GSTLs said she's listened to me and she can't figure out why I can't get someone to sign up because I have a decent presentation. Anyone got any pointers they can give me?

Despite my leadership's views, I don't make the SCO cashier ask for red cards. If it comes up somehow, great! However, what I've found is that most people using SCO just want to get in, scan their stuff and get out - or at least that's what I find when I use it at grocery stores and the like. I don't think it's right to badger guests who really don't want to be badgered. Then again, I have a lot of opinions on red cards but I'd probably get fired for even thinking badly of them.
Yeah thats what I feel like I am doing when I ask at SCO, one time my friend asked a lady if she wanted a redcard and she yelled at her saying that she went to SCO to avoid talking to a cashier. Yet, most people who use SCO don't even know how, it makes me cringe at how much people don't listen or read, they always ask for help when you can hear it saying "unexpected item in bagging area" or "please place item in bagging area"

Yeah thats what I feel like I am doing when I ask at SCO, one time my friend asked a lady if she wanted a redcard and she yelled at her saying that she went to SCO to avoid talking to a cashier. Yet, most people who use SCO don't even know how, it makes me cringe at how much people don't listen or read, they always ask for help when you can hear it saying "unexpected item in bagging area" or "please place item in bagging area"

Or they get mad at us because they want to purchase Alcohol and didn't see the 100 signs stating you can not purchase Alcohol at self check out.

Honest to God, I've been asking, I have, and of course today I found out that we're almost dead last for our district, so I know it's not just me that's having issues. We hit our daily goal maybe once a week, but honestly, I don't think it's from a lack of trying. It's either that they already have one or they just aren't interested

Does anyone know if the 10% coupon that comes with signing up this week is good for an online purchase as well as an in store? All the signs say nothing about it!

Just curious....has the 10% promotion helped your store's RC goals? For us, it's done nothing. For the last couple of weeks, it's been tough going trying to get people to sign up and unfortunately, my store has zero bump with the 10% deal.
It has to a certain point. My store is taking no prisoners. We are trying hard including hardlines. All areas, seasonal, furniture & electronics. A big team effort!

Last edited:
Back