I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

Instead of saying "are you using?", I say with "do you have a Redcard?" That makes selling the perks a bit easier and I am starting to hit the free shipping more than the 5%. Still, once they've said no, I don't push it.

I've been interested in the last few hours in trying to make up 5 ways a redcard would benefit a customer since it is 5% off any and all purchases.

1.) Savings Stack, Target sends you(the customer) in the mail a 25% off coupon for a gallon of milk, per se, and the market pantry gallon milks are usually on Cart wheel for 5% off as well, so you get an automatic 30% off the milk already, add on the 5% from a redcard, you could be saving more than a dollar. Now, say also you're buying a grand new TV that's part of a Cartwheel deal, it all stacks. Maybe if you're lucky enough you'll catch a TV on sale and eligible for cart wheel...(but that's lucky.) there are redcard-exclusive sales as well(ASANTS)

2.) Free extended return policy, extra 30 days on almost all items purchased.

3.) Free shipping, shop from home and get that free shipping and handling

4.) Starbucks in the store get 5% off as well with your redcard

5.) And lastly, Target Optical accepts redcards as well.

Thoughts???

I got a tip from my GE-ETL....she suggested engaging the guest (about the RedCard) early in the transaction and not waiting until it is time for the guest to pay....because by paying time, the guest just wants to go and not be bothered.

I've started a new order of a transaction.....(of course you start to ring the guests' items up as you do this....)

1) greet the guest
2) ask if they've found everything they were looking to get
3) ask if they need a gift receipt
4) start to talk about the RedCard......right away you'll get a feeling for if the guest is interested, wants more information or has no interest at all.
5) if possible let the guest know that the RedCard is available as a debit card
6) complete the transaction

once the ReedCard stuff is out of the way it makes it easier to continue the check-out process and have any guest interaction as needed.

I've been luckier since I've started to do things this way.

This is basically how I do it, and I have the most RedCards for the year at my store (although the #2 gets them at a higher rate than I do). At my store, that means getting 3-5 in a good day, 10 or so in a good week (our weekly goal is around 60).

This is basically how I do it, and I have the most RedCards for the year at my store (although the #2 gets them at a higher rate than I do). At my store, that means getting 3-5 in a good day, 10 or so in a good week (our weekly goal is around 60).

60 is a daily goal for us . I envy you guys.

Our total goal for the day is around 40-60, but each individual cashier is held to a goal of 2 a shift.

Well, I've tried superbly hard to get redcards, I've pushed customers to their limits with me trying to educate them, none of them simply want a redcard because there are better savings cards out there. Amazon now has it's own card and it now offers 5% off of everything on amazon, and you save at places outside of amazon as well. Mills Fleet Farm is offering 10% off, walmart surprisingly has a card, but it's so obsolete(you get 3% off), HomeDepot has got an awesome card for additional financing options, and all these long cashier shifts(which I hate) have put me down really harshly lol.

I was feeling super motivated before as shown earlier in the thread, but there simply isn't a market for the current redcard in my area. I'm busting my balls, and all of my GSTLs know because I've been asking to get put on a lane rather than SCO to get a redcard and they've been watching and helping me intently and I kind of confided in them and told them "This is hard" and they only agree, our district has lowered all redcard goals to compensate, I have no idea if I'm suppose to know that but that's what they told me. That could of been a lie to make each other feel better too, I guess haha.

In the end, all of my hard work, 45 hours worth of cashiering since my initial posts, have yielded 0 redcards over the last week and a half. My motivation for getting redcards is once again, shattered.

My store goal is like 8-10 every day, barely getting 2-3 a day.

Well, I've tried superbly hard to get redcards, I've pushed customers to their limits with me trying to educate them, none of them simply want a redcard because there are better savings cards out there. Amazon now has it's own card and it now offers 5% off of everything on amazon, and you save at places outside of amazon as well. Mills Fleet Farm is offering 10% off, walmart surprisingly has a card, but it's so obsolete(you get 3% off), HomeDepot has got an awesome card for additional financing options, and all these long cashier shifts(which I hate) have put me down really harshly lol.

I was feeling super motivated before as shown earlier in the thread, but there simply isn't a market for the current redcard in my area. I'm busting my balls, and all of my GSTLs know because I've been asking to get put on a lane rather than SCO to get a redcard and they've been watching and helping me intently and I kind of confided in them and told them "This is hard" and they only agree, our district has lowered all redcard goals to compensate, I have no idea if I'm suppose to know that but that's what they told me. That could of been a lie to make each other feel better too, I guess haha.

In the end, all of my hard work, 45 hours worth of cashiering since my initial posts, have yielded 0 redcards over the last week and a half. My motivation for getting redcards is once again, shattered.

My store goal is like 8-10 every day, barely getting 2-3 a day.

It's true they lowered the goals. However, the goal still remains astronomical. Lowering a ridiculous goal to a slightly less ridiculous goal isn't helping.

It is hard because the product isn't that great. Awesome products sell themselves. I still say the deals on Cartwheel should have been tied to the redcard.

Many customers also wish cart wheel was tied to the RC, I just wish something happened to make it worth it. I have a few more long back to back 8 hour cashier shifts that involves clopening on two weeks out and I just want to die. Might honestly put half of one of them for grabs on Branch, had enough of it lmao. I'm usually back in Dairy during the weekend but I haven't been scheduled there in at least two weeks, so this kind of sucks. I worked hard to even get the weekends back there, just two meager days, but now I'm kind of being thrust back into the world of the front end.

What's even worse is the clopening shifts are back to back grocery SCO shifts... legitimately KILL ME.

Hello! I've been a cashier for a long time. So far I have sold 150 RedCards. Our supervisors are really pushy about it. They seem to think I have control over how many RedCards I get. Anyway, I was wondering how one can approach selling a RedCard more efficiently? It seems more like luck than anything else. And, more often than not, RedCards are sold to those who already wanted one and came prepared, so again it seems to be about luck, i.e. which register the customer approaches. But that's just what I've noticed about my region. I feel stressed because of this, even though I'm doing my job efficiently in all other regards. Any tips about this?
Here's what I do. I start with asking if they have any coupons or cartwheel they wanted to use before breaking the ice. Then, whether they do or don't I say "In addition/at least are you getting your 5% discount?" Or "are you using your loyalty card as well?" Guests are used to us saying "Target card" or "Target Debit/Credit" so if you change the wording some guests will listen in and want to know more, giving you the opportunity to share benefits. Also I figured out what was the main concern for guests when it comes to the card and figured out ways to comfort them. If they are worried about it linking to their debit card, let them know they can get the credit and pay off their receipt total at Guest Service with their personal debit card right away so you don't have a balance on the card! If they don't want credit, tell them about the debit option that doesn't run credit. If they bring up the scam Target had years ago, tell them that the card has been remodeled and is now protected with a chip and pin for both credit and debit. Tell them that they not only get 5% off online and in store, they can get the discount in Starbucks that are in Target stores and Target optical! I'm sure you are well aware that it's a battle when it comes to whether or not the guest has a check with them or not. But what I tell cashiers is that even if after all the promoting and explaining you do doesn't work, you are at least educating the guest on how they can save money at Target. If you think about it the Redcard is one out of many different ways to save money at Target. I can tell you, at least from my experience, as long as you ask and you are actively educating guests, your GSAs/TLs will be happy. Hope that helps!

Here's what I do. I start with asking if they have any coupons or cartwheel they wanted to use before breaking the ice. Then, whether they do or don't I say "In addition/at least are you getting your 5% discount?" Or "are you using your loyalty card as well?" Guests are used to us saying "Target card" or "Target Debit/Credit" so if you change the wording some guests will listen in and want to know more, giving you the opportunity to share benefits. Also I figured out what was the main concern for guests when it comes to the card and figured out ways to comfort them. If they are worried about it linking to their debit card, let them know they can get the credit and pay off their receipt total at Guest Service with their personal debit card right away so you don't have a balance on the card! If they don't want credit, tell them about the debit option that doesn't run credit. If they bring up the scam Target had years ago, tell them that the card has been remodeled and is now protected with a chip and pin for both credit and debit. Tell them that they not only get 5% off online and in store, they can get the discount in Starbucks that are in Target stores and Target optical! I'm sure you are well aware that it's a battle when it comes to whether or not the guest has a check with them or not. But what I tell cashiers is that even if after all the promoting and explaining you do doesn't work, you are at least educating the guest on how they can save money at Target. If you think about it the Redcard is one out of many different ways to save money at Target. I can tell you, at least from my experience, as long as you ask and you are actively educating guests, your GSAs/TLs will be happy. Hope that helps!
DO NOT refer to it as a loyalty card. That is NOT what it is and guests will be very upset when they realize it's a credit/debit. It is specifically in our handbook to not call it that. It's borderline fraud.

Other than that, your post was very helpful and I will def try breaking the ice with coupons!

DO NOT refer to it as a loyalty card. That is NOT what it is and guests will be very upset when they realize it's a credit/debit. It is specifically in our handbook to not call it that. It's borderline fraud.
This.
We had a cashier termed for selling it in that fashion after numerous guest complaints.

Other than that, your post was very helpful and I will def try breaking the ice with coupons!
Oh wow. I've never thought of that. I've only heard a few people talk about it like that, and if they do they always explain that it is a debit/credit card. Good to know though!

I finally broke my dry spell the other day!:) I was about to start my little spiel, and before I could even finish "Will you be saving..." the couple was like, "Yes, we'd like to sign up!" Lol.

It always helps when I don't have to hold their hand through the process as well. I've had a few sign-ups where they became completely frazzled by having to enter their info twice and subsequently forgot everything. :confused::eek: That was fun.

So I manage to get a lot of redcards and then go through a long dry spell, but it seems to all come down to luck. Our store is hard up for them and we are really told to push the cards. I've tried the long benefit speech and nobody even tries to pay attention. Short and sweet approach usually results in "Already have one!" irritated guest or shut down with a "Not interested!". I've noticed a record number of guest telling me they have one but they aren't using it today. I still get "Can you look it up with a phone number?" question. :rolleyes:

any GSA/GSTLs here that are struggling to get the team to get redcards? I didn't get promoted from GSA to GSTL because if I'm ever scheduled GSTL they don't get redcards on my shift(which is think is total bullshit since i ultimately have no control for the people who just continue to struggle doing their job after numerous on the spot coachings)

With this Equifax hack and every one putting freezes on their credit report access going to make getting Red Cards so much harder lol.

With this Equifax hack and every one putting freezes on their credit report access going to make getting Red Cards so much harder lol.

Absolutely! I froze mine. Don't plan on any major purchases in the next 5-10 years, so much easier to freeze than monitor my credit. And now I have a real excuse when a cashier hits me up to open a store credit card.

My dad might of just gotten fucked by the hack, well, not sure if it's related, but someone somehow got a hold of his debit numbers and attempted to book a plane flight and a 3 night's stay at a hotel somewhere.

Back