MEGATHREAD The REDCard Thread

Have redcard signups become harder in your store since the rollout of target circle?

The Circle signup on the checkout lane payment pads is like a speed bump, you gotta explain to guests to sign up or press "no thanks" and offer a pamphlet. This takes time and guest attention away. With the time taken away by Circle signups or reminding existing Circle guests to type in their number or scan the app, there's much less time to effectively "educate the guest about the redcard". This is very annoying since we still need to meet quota for redcard signups. YMMV. Thoughts?

tholmes

Former Electronics TL
Have redcard signups become harder in your store since the rollout of target circle?

The Circle signup on the checkout lane payment pads is like a speed bump, you gotta explain to guests to sign up or press "no thanks" and offer a pamphlet. This takes time and guest attention away. With the time taken away by Circle signups or reminding existing Circle guests to type in their number or scan the app, there's much less time to effectively "educate the guest about the redcard". This is very annoying since we still need to meet quota for redcard signups. YMMV. Thoughts?
Something you could try is asking "what's a good phone number for you?" or "what phone number do you have your circle rewards with us under?" at the very start before you even start scanning. Gets the circle and talking about it out of the way while also helping improve circle capture percentage. Then you have all transaction to talk about the redcard. I've found this worked best with the "phone number entry" key, but I don't know if that still exists.

A few months ago, our store was notified we no longer could enroll Redcards using a dedicated ipad tablet. That was a target-owned device, and I would guess the word came down about a potential security risk. (That's also the reason I personally won't pay using Target Wallet). As a result, our debit-card signups have dropped a bit.

In our store and location, the Circle rollout has slowed down RC signups. I've taken a fair number of RC signups over the holidays, but at least in our location Airline Rewards Cards are king! Greater Seattle ain't Minneapolis! We're the backyard for Amazon, Costco, Nordstrom, Starbucks, Microsoft etc. Target can dream about growing RC market share but Circle does reduce the exclusivity of the RC. What can corporate do to make the RC truly competitive around here - maybe offer a free streaming subscription such as "Netflix by Target"?

Last edited: