MEGATHREAD The REDCard Thread

Had a rare treat on Saturday, in spite of the companywide network outage! 😃 While talking with one of my early-morning guests, she realized how often she shopped at Target and how much money she could save. She became interested in applying for the debit redcard but didn't have enough time to get the routing number/account number and complete the application before traveling 20+ miles to a meeting in 45 minutes. I wrote down my name on the redcard marketing brochure, encouraged her to come back, said i'd be here until (insert end of shift), and she went on her way. Usually, these "be-backs" don't actually come back. Well, almost four hours later and post-outage, she came back to my crowded line and was happy to see me and sign up. I turned off the light so I'd be able to help her after I finished helping the remaining two guests. While I was ringing up the other two guests, she actually started putting the bagged items into the guests' carts.... Her bank gave her a business card with her specific routing number and checking account number. Our store has an ipad tablet which we use for debit RC applications. [NOTE: when i went to GS to get the tablet, i told our GSTL who happened to be on duty that i was handling a redcard signup which is why the lane light was off.] I gave our guest the paper copy of the disclosures and stood by to assist with questions during the application. Once she finished and received the application ID number, I gave the instructions to watch her e-mail for the "verification deposits" and other remaining steps in activating her card once it arrived, including instructions on how to add to the Target App Wallet if desired. Our ETL-GE allows us to grant the 5% discount for new debit RC applications if they apply on our tablet (and don't have the instant redcard barcode), I know ASANTS on this. This particular "be-back" guest actually saved a lot of money on her purchase as well as on future purchases, our store landed a new redcard holder, and my bosses are happy. That she came back, obviously had read the sales brochure thoroughly because she recited the benefits even better than I usually do, made me feel really good. 😊 YEAHHHHH! 😁👍
Nice. She made your day great and I bet you made her day great too with the savings . Good for you : ‘
“helping your guest find the joy in every day life ! “. Good job.

😀 Incredibly, the redcard gods were with me yet again! This isn't typical to have back-to-back shifts with RC signups (I don't work Sundays), but this evening, I convinced not just one but two guests to sign up, one for the credit and the other for the debit. It was not easy because we were much busier than usual for Monday evening and had one call-out. Both of my guests were unbelievably patient and kind. This certainly makes up for times when I have an entire week or two with no RC signups, followed by weeks with one RC signup and other weeks with 3, 4 or more RC signups. It's impossible to predict who among your guests will say "yes". Just keep bringing up the topic, and if their response is about wanting to use their airline rewards cards etc., just say a polite "thank you".

On this Monday evening, in the wake of our nationwide network outage, yet another wonderful surprise of two redcard signups. 😄 Given that a huge number of our guests will not apply because they are married to their airline rewards cards (I'd guess these are about one-third of our total sales at our store), this was good. :p There certainly are weeks without any bites.

Very few guests mention this to me, but most CCs offer "extended protect protection" on items purchased with their card. Would the RC be easier to sell to guests if this were added as a benefit?

DBZ

I, recently, had a few people turned down for the debit version of the red card. How weird is that? Do you know what reasons someone might be declined for the debit?

no nix nein

Queen of the Weekend Warriors
I, recently, had a few people turned down for the debit version of the red card. How weird is that? Do you know what reasons someone might be declined for the debit?
Writing bad checks.
Information not matching.
No check writing history.

If they already have a red debit for one checking account they can’t have a second for their other checking account. My debit is linked to my bank so I can’t get another for my credit union.

Amanda Cantwell

Service Advocate
If they already have a red debit for one checking account they can’t have a second for their other checking account. My debit is linked to my bank so I can’t get another for my credit union.
I don't think that's true. I've seen people with more than one

REDcardJJ

Service and Engagement TL
i don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but allowing guests to complete REDcard applications anywhere in store other than POS is actually a huge information security risk and a violation of the REDcard sales policy

i don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but allowing guests to complete REDcard applications anywhere in store other than POS is actually a huge information security risk and a violation of the REDcard sales policy
I missed something here. I was not aware that one could do Redcard applications anywhere other than POS in the store. (At least not in recent times)

you could, in theory, do it through the browser on a mydevice or pull a registry ipad out of the registry app and do it in safari

in theory

do not test this theory

I don't think that's true. I've seen people with more than one
If I have a debit for my bank account and my joint checking account defaults to my husbands name I can have another debit linked to “his” account, same if my father adds me to his account to help with shopping as he’s aging I can have one to that account as well. But the debit card will only let me have one card to all banking accounts in my name.

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
I called the red card department, wanting a second debit card connected to a different bank account and was told no, one debit per person.

I called the red card department, wanting a second debit card connected to a different bank account and was told no, one debit per person.
Exactly this. But they’ll let me transfer from one account to the next. Life doesn’t always work that way! 😕

tholmes

Former Electronics TL
you could, in theory, do it through the browser on a mydevice or pull a registry ipad out of the registry app and do it in safari

in theory

do not test this theory
Now, it might not still work this way, but I recall there being a sanctioned application method on the registry iPads. I don't know if it's still there though

Amanda Cantwell

Service Advocate
Now, it might not still work this way, but I recall there being a sanctioned application method on the registry iPads. I don't know if it's still there though
There is— it may just be paper though. This IS a valid way to have someone apply and not a violation.

We were told not to use the registry iPads anymore. We can suspend the transaction and have them apply if their phones tho. Personally I’m against this since it causes an unnecessary back up of guests and an inevitable code. If I have someone on the fence or close to getting it I just encourage them to either do it at home or pull the setl over to assist them. (Or a former gsa who is running the front because my stores Leaders have learned it’s better to have someone who knows what they’re doing just do it.) 🤷‍♀️

REDcardJJ

Service and Engagement TL
you can print off an application for the guest through the registry kiosk. but you cannot open the registry kiosk in team member mode, open a browser, and start an online application through the REDcard website. that's 100% against the rules (and for good reason)

tholmes

Former Electronics TL
you can print off an application for the guest through the registry kiosk. but you cannot open the registry kiosk in team member mode, open a browser, and start an online application through the REDcard website. that's 100% against the rules (and for good reason)
Yup, that's the method I was thinking of, I just couldn't remember what the limitation was.

DBZ

How do you do this? Is it kosher at all stores or is this ASANTS? I lost a red card app today because I told the guest (older woman) she had to apply via our POS or online.