I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

I have found my "upbeat" way works best I try to also work with what the guest is buying and I use it as a segway. If the guest is buying lightbulbs I say " this is a bright idea! want to know what else is a bright idea?... you saving 5% every time you shop at this beautiful establishment.

You sound like someonenfrom corporate :p
is that bad? LOL

If the majority of your posts aren't bitching about one thing or another, it's assumed you are either a spy or a kool-aid drinker ;)

I have found my "upbeat" way works best I try to also work with what the guest is buying and I use it as a segway. If the guest is buying lightbulbs I say " this is a bright idea! want to know what else is a bright idea?... you saving 5% every time you shop at this beautiful establishment.

is that bad? LOL

If the majority of your posts aren't bitching about one thing or another, it's assumed you are either a spy or a kool-aid drinker ;)
well maybe I don't like to bitch all the time. ;) lol I just do my work and keep to myself.

original.jpg

Bonus points if the guest picks up on the reference AND opens a Red Card.

Office Space if my spot addled brain is correct

I think that REDcards should be pushed as much as they are, but they should update their measurement methods. Conversion is a bit ancient, and it was designed for credit cards (would you like to save 10% TODAY). You were converting a purchase to save with a REDcard and hoping they would still use it (but they never did).

How well a store is doing on REDcards should be measured using a metric that is designed for the Debit Card and the 5% off everyday benefit, not just conversion. If it were me, I would "remove" the prompting screen from all transactions, and instead have transactions just tracked as a "potential REDcard holder" in the same fashion. The screens waste time, and no cashiers should be asking on the prompts (we are supposed to ask all guests at the beginning). Just allow the GSTL to see actual REDcards versus Potential instead of versus Prompts as they are the same thing.

Secondly, we should measure the REDcard culture in the store as a whole, not just conversion. It should be just Conversion % X REDcard Sales % = REDcard Loyalty % X 100

This would mean that stores would be able to have an accurate representation of the REDcard Culture in the building. The goal should be 100%, which would mean a store with a 50% REDcard Sales would be green with a 2.00% conversion. A store with 30% redcard sales would be green at a 3.5% conversion (the new goal). Or a store with only a 20% Sales would need a 4.75% conversion. This would be more fair as it would reflect the environment you are attempting to market in.

The entire point of the metric is for someone to be able to come into the store and see what REDcards look like in your store. If you are at 80% for REDcard Loyalty it means you are EITHER not very good at selling REDcards or not many people are using REDcards (or both). If you are 107% on REDcard Loyalty it tells the visitor that the store is doing well with REDcards (again either not many people are using them but you are selling them, or lots of people are already using them).

I hate the way they say over the walkies - our goal is 5x10 or what ever numbers. If I were a guest and heard that I would be very turned off by it.

When I am in other stores, I tend to listen more to what comes over their loudspeakers. Kohls has a pre recorded message, that is nice and does not sound like it is some kind of contest to get a card AND all the customers can hear it. I would think if target had something like that, it would be effective.

As far as saving 5%, I do like that. I have a lowes card and a Home Depot card. I find myself going to lowes more often now because I save 5% every time I use the card, but not with the hd card.

Does anyone know how target benefits by guests using the debit card? I always speculate different reasons, but don't really know.

Target benefits in two major aspects. The first is obviously loyalty which you hear all the time from the messages (guests spend more, they come to the store more often etc.)... The other major benefit is that we are not paying credit/debit processing charges (or sending checks back to be deposited). By doing the debit card, the guest allows us to withdraw from their account without paying any VISA or MasterCard charges, which is cheap for us (and we can pass on the savings to them).

is that bad? LOL

I don't have a problem with people who like their jobs or for that matter who work for corporate.
As long as you are willing to accept that other people don't have the same experiences you do and can be empathetic, then you are cool in my book.

is that bad? LOL

I don't have a problem with people who like their jobs or for that matter who work for corporate.
As long as you are willing to accept that other people don't have the same experiences you do and can be empathetic, then you are cool in my book.
I could not agree with you more! :) I do feel bad for those who have bad management and are treated like crap.

Yep, what Cel said. And as such as of the beginning of next year, all REDcards with the Visa logo will be reissued as MasterCard REDcards.

I wonder who is responsible if the guest goes to some place like Target, who will have the pin and chip technology, but the guest decides to swipe the card instead of use the chip reader at the bottom (because most of them will not be able to figure this out).

Just so you know - you must use a Chip Embedded card if your card has it. I've been to places where I went to swipe, (My card had a chip) and it mandated me use the Chip reader.

when i first started 3 years ago it wasn't as big of a deal. but now its just gotten out of hand. in my mind there is a difference between informing and asking the guest about the red card and harassing them about it. and a lot of the newer cashiers are being taught to be supper pushy about it. i don't mind telling people about it but if they say no thank you then i stop, some cashiers will just keep insisting and i can see some guests getting mad. one guest actually started to complain about how every time she came in the store she was asked multiple times. my store has a lot of regulars and i try to remember if i have asked them before and if i know i have asked them in the past and they have said no i will not ask them again
i just started cashiering and i was trained to push the red card to death but i only go so far as to ask if they want it and if they dont then i dont push them. then one day the lod saw this and stood by my register and pushed for me when i left i laughed because i got more redcards by being nice to the guests then the lod got pushing them.

Sales floor team red card goals?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

no.

^^^^^ This. My store is already losing people like we've sprung a leak and if they start trying to tell us we have to sell red cards on top of everything else everyone is just going to up and leave.

After scanning the check do I give it back to the customer or do I pu it in the cash register?

Give it back to the guest. It's voided and the printed bit on the back where it usually has transaction details will say VOID. If for whatever reason they refuse it or forget it, put it into the shredder barrel you should have somewhere in TSC for docs with sensitive information on them. Ask your HR if you don't know where that is.

I'm curious here...

Today I had a cashier shift and my GSA told me that today and tomorrow we are giving the guest 10% to sign up for a redcard. I'm wondering if anyone else's store is doing this...or if my store really is this desperate to get them!

hasn't it always been you get 10% off the purchase you buy when you get the redcard?

Used to be 10% percent to sign up, but you would instead get points for your purchases until you unlocked a 10% shopping day.

Back