I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

My bank must be awesome. It has my redcard transactions posted almost immediately.

If I was going to get either, it would be the credit card. But really, I don't see that happening. I use my Discover card for everything. I pay it off every month. No annual fee. No interest. Plus I get cash back on all my purchases. I crunched the.numbers, I make back far more than I would save using the red card.
you save more than 15% with Discover card?

No, I don't. But the amount I spend at Target is a small fraction if what I spend overall. I don't do hardly any of my shopping there. If I do want to save the 10%, I simply use cash. That cuts that 15% down to 5%.

Mine is 4 days. Weekends can be shorter for some reason at times.

I was always clear to my guests it was more of an electronic check card, not an instant debit. I told them my bank took 4 days to post, so they would need to watch theirs to see how long it took.

Why is this okay????
2lctmpu.jpg

These Etls run around screaming about the red card, there were 4 of them out screaming about needing to get red cards today. And every hour on the hour they would run through the cashier isles having panic attacks about red cards and making the guests freak out. One of my guests had an anxiety attack because of their childish unprofessional behavior.

When we don't sell enough they turn off our lights in the middle of a transaction and pull us away from our guests to chew us out about not selling enough red cards per week. Every one of our customers have them and there's not much more of this emotional blackmail that I can take.

It's ether I sell red cards (very random) or I lose my job.

How should this be delt with????

You can't lose your job for not getting redcards lol
Target likes you make you suffer to earn your $7-8/hr
Your TL/ETL will go before you, don't sweat it.

What is your store's overall conversion like? If you are red, that would explain all of this. My store is consistently green -- last week we were at a 6% conversion -- and we definitely don't hound our cashiers nearly as much. No such thing as "1 REDcard per hour" or whatever. And we definitely don't use those weird break cards or whatever that is in your pic.

What leadership needs to realize is that the best results are driven by providing great guest service, not shoving REDcard applications down the guests' throats.

Last edited:
Technically they can't fire you for not getting cards.
If you are asking every customer and making a genuine effort, they can bust your chops but they can't fire you.

However if they decide you are under performing and want to get rid of you, they can performance you out and there really isn't much you can do about that.

It's part of the cashier's core roles to inform and have guests apply for a red card. So technically yes they can performance you out if you don't ask every guest.

My problem was it was not consistent on how long it would take. Sometimes two days others 4+ days.
It's because it's not a debit card, it's essentially a credit card target foots the bill with their credit when you make the purchase and then bills your bank account automatically. It will never work like an actual debt card just because banks don't want anyone else to have that level of account access outside of them. The only issue is how well your bank and credit union interact, banks certainly can slow down certain transactions just off not trusting the source.

This is why they should go back to calling it the Check Card.

The point is that many cashiers pitch the debit card as just being like your own debit card. FALSE.
it's hard enough to get a guest who:
•is ready to leave the store
•probably distrustful of corporations/their employees
•afraid to be judged by the person behind them for indirectly holding up the line
•terrified of literal squares of plastic

to even listen to information about the redcard, let alone actually agree to it. leaving out that one little "but" is really a dealbreaker in a lot of situations.

So like, I can't seem to get like any RedCards. I ask my guests once, then again if it appears on my screen. I always get, "no" or "I don't want another credit card." Or "I don't have a check."

I always ask every guest, but they all say 'no'. I really want to stay but I doubt they'll let me since I called out 2 times because I had a family emergency and a medical issue. And because I just can't seem to get RedCards.

Any tips to help me get some RedCards? :(

So like, I can't seem to get like any RedCards. I ask my guests once, then again if it appears on my screen. I always get, "no" or "I don't want another credit card." Or "I don't have a check."

I always ask every guest, but they all say 'no'. I really want to stay but I doubt they'll let me since I called out 2 times because I had a family emergency and a medical issue. And because I just can't seem to get RedCards.

Any tips to help me get some RedCards? :(

I know this thread is 32 pages long but there are a lot of good tips in it.

Soo.....why doesn't Target offer Redcard only sales?

Macy's does it. I believe Kohls does it. If Target is so obsessed with Redcards, why don't they offer them? Mail RC holders a coupon for an extra 10+% off their purchase on XX/YY or between XX/YY-ZZ/YY, or have cashiers pass them out a la 20% off entire purchase coupons. 5% is bunk, 5% barely covers tax, if it wasn't for my cash aversion and my TM discount I wouldn't have one. 5% off with the opportunity to have an extra 10+% off however....

Macy's does it. I believe Kohls does it. If Target is so obsessed with Redcards, why don't they offer them? Mail RC holders a coupon for an extra 10+% off their purchase on XX/YY or between XX/YY-ZZ/YY, or have cashiers pass them out a la 20% off entire purchase coupons. 5% is bunk, 5% barely covers tax, if it wasn't for my cash aversion and my TM discount I wouldn't have one. 5% off with the opportunity to have an extra 10+% off however....
That would make to much sense to spot. But, I do like those types of promotions.

They did this once. If you'll recall there was a random week back in October during which all REDcard applicants received a coupon in the mail for an extra 5% off a one-time purchase, and it was only valid during another random week in November. No idea why they did that only once.

I am totally in favor of little incentives like REDcard-only checkout, or how about 10% off all items in a particular department every week. 5% off every purchase is boring. They need to spice it up a bit.

I remember when they had the brand loyalty months for TMs: whenever you used your TM discount, it took off an extra 10% for house brands (Market Pantry, Archer Farms, Mossimo, Merona, Xhiliration to name a few).
What if they did something like that for guests if they used their red cards?

Which is kinda bullshit in itself. How you gonna make people who work for you & make peanuts sign up for a damn card so they can use a discount they earned?!?! JCP doesn't do that, Wal-Mart doesn't do that, Sears doesn't either last time I checked. All their employees can use any form of payment to use their discount. Poor form there Corporate!

I have a few questions...
How should I ask a guest if they would like to sign up for a redcard, and how do I explain what the card is? Also, do I need to tell my LOD or GSTL whenever I get someone to sign up for one? Because sometimes we get rewards.. I was barely trained when hired because I was hired as a seasonal cashier but since they decided to keep me as a regular cashier I feel like I should get better and know these things. The only redcards I've gotten are people who told me they wanted to sign up, they weren't because I asked.

I ask every damn person in my line last 2 shifts & they either have one already, say no, or pretend like they didn't hear me ask about it. Feel so defeated with this whole RedCard thing...

Back