I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

Aha! I got a hold of the front end news last night for the month of February (ironically the only copy I could find was in electronics). Anyway, it mentioned prompts going away and it going to a straight number (which I knew thanks to here). And I found out number last week on workbench.

So, I went and waved it in front of my STL's face, who said he knew about it. To which I said that last week when I asked about it our ETL said he didn't know anything about it and how Spot wouldn't reinvent the wheel. Yeah, turns out my ETL was lying to me. <.<

Then the STL tried to tell me that he didn't know the amount per week. So I told him I found it on workbench and told him the number. Since he didn't ask me where on workbench, I presume that was a lie on his part.

He then told me that the reason they hadn't said anything is because they weren't clear on all the information...like how close to the goal they had to get to be green, etc, etc. so they didn't want to roll out the information without having all of it. After all the other lies, I had no idea if he was telling the truth anymore, and since he was walking away from me anyway, I let it drop.

Darn it RG, donca know the only real power they have is controlling the information they give you?
Now you've gone and spoiled that.
Even worse you've proved to be a free thinker and able to look things up for yourself.
Not good, I tell you, not good.

Anyone else's stores no longer getting prompts? My GSTL reports that she hasn't seen a single prompt all day today.

got in trouble for reading the front end new once, the GSTL told me that the information was not really for us in the front but for the GSTLs and if THEY thought it was important then they would tell us. Problem the Front end was ALWAYS the last to find out ANYTHING because as I was told by the same GSTL "You are a VERY important part of the team and we NEED you guys at the front end."

got in trouble for reading the front end new once, the GSTL told me that the information was not really for us in the front but for the GSTLs and if THEY thought it was important then they would tell us. Problem the Front end was ALWAYS the last to find out ANYTHING because as I was told by the same GSTL "You are a VERY important part of the team and we NEED you guys at the front end."

This is definitely a lie. Front end news comes from redwire now and the direction specifically states to disburse a copy to every check lane and the service desk so that all team members can read it.

I don't think anyone is very clear on how conversion is going to be tracked anymore. We definitely all have our weekly goals now, but there has been no clear information on how it will look on my performance or the weekly cashier report. I guess we will just have to find out on Monday when it updates for the first time.

Woo, prompts are definitely gone in my store, finally. Kept automatically going to skip past it though before realizing it wasn't there.

Yep...it's a straight goal now...which sucks, because if you have a slow day, instead of having low prompts, you still need to get the REDCards to keep getting towards your weekly/monthly goal. But my ETL said he wasn't sure if the DTL was concerned about the weekly goal or the monthly goal. But either way, we will need to do a weekly goal to be sure we are on track for a monthly goal.

*goes off to check on applications for different employment*

his is definitely a lie. Front end news comes from redwire now and the direction specifically states to disburse a copy to every check lane and the service desk so that all team members can read it.

A former GSTL of mine put together a binder for each checklane, and each binder would have the latest Front End News, the current ad, and other miscellaneous reference items. Sadly, the binders are no more, so nobody at the front end (except maybe a select few) has the slightest clue what's going on anymore.

We have those binders but I don't think anyone reads the stuff I put in there. I've gotten to the point that when a cashier asks me a question, I pull out the binder and point at the highlighted answer to their question.

We used to do cashier huddles every morning, but we've quit since there aren't enough cashiers to huddle any more. Ahhh, Q2,Q3,Q4, I miss ya.

We have the binders at every checklane. Each binder has the current Front End News, current ad, last week's ad, WIC brochure, cashier core roles and a map of the store. Our GSTL also puts together our own "Front End News" with tips and reminders about stuff that's going on with our store...like if we're having problems with coupon abuse, theft, cleanliness, etc.. It's super handy and I don't know how any store goes without it.

I'd kill for something like that, or to be able to do something like that for the benefit of others. It'd help a lot...

We have the binders at every checklane. Each binder has the current Front End News, current ad, last week's ad, WIC brochure, cashier core roles and a map of the store. Our GSTL also puts together our own "Front End News" with tips and reminders about stuff that's going on with our store...like if we're having problems with coupon abuse, theft, cleanliness, etc.. It's super handy and I don't know how any store goes without it.

I really like this idea. Will speak to my GSTL about requisitioning some binders.

Like what if you ALWAYS ask every single guest if they would like to save 5%, (explain the benefits) like free shipping all year long on target.com and 5% off orders online too etc and no matter what no one applies for one when your cashier?

can you really get fired if no one applies for one even if you always try?

Unless, i was thinking, start to be really desperate, and beg the guest to apply for one.

Say: Do you have a target red card with us so you can save 5%?

if they say no i dont want one, say please, or my manager might fire me. (with a sad face on)

OR say if you get one my manager might promote me.

i've had guests ask me, if i apply for the red card, will your manager give you a raise? one time i said yeah and the guy did the application

You shouldn't get in trouble for not getting Red cards technically, but if they see you not ask even a guest or two, they could write you up.

Ok maybe some stores are different but a cashier told me that etls/lods tell them and coach them even if they ask every guest and they don't get one. And they start firing cashiers if they don't get 1 red card a week EVEN if they constantly try and ask every guest.

Ok maybe some stores are different but a cashier told me that etls/lods tell them and coach them even if they ask every guest and they don't get one. And they start firing cashiers if they don't get 1 red card a week EVEN if they constantly try and ask every guest.

That's complicated in the sense that the odds are if you ask every single guest the odds are you should get at least one a week.
Unless you are doing it in a manner so desultory that you are turning everyone off, at some point out of the hundreds of people one person should want a card.

Sorry but they need a better way than a check to get the debit.who wants a credit card with the interest rates they have .
There are ways to do it ,they just want to have something to hold over peoples head for reasons to coach and threaten them ..

Cashiers at my store do get coached for having bad weeks with conversion. And of course it always says at the bottom of the form (that the TMs aren't allowed to see) that failure to improve can/will result in further corrective action up to and including termination. Now, I don't know if they mean it, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Cashiers at my store do get coached for having bad weeks with conversion. And of course it always says at the bottom of the form (that the TMs aren't allowed to see) that failure to improve can/will result in further corrective action up to and including termination. Now, I don't know if they mean it, but I wouldn't put it past them.
Yes, they mean it. And this is why.

If my cashier doesn't get REDCards, I get blamed. Why? Because it's my job to teach the cashiers how to get REDCards. I can do that. But if the cashier doesn't ask every guest and doesn't explain why the guest should get a REDCard and convince that guest to get a REDCard, then they aren't gonna get REDCards and I get blamed for not properly teaching and/or motivating that cashier.

So, yeah. If the cashier doesn't do his job, then I'm gonna pay. I'm not gonna pay, so the cashier will either do his job or get coached/termed.

I know this sounds awful, but my butt is ultimately more important than your butt, Mr. Cashier. I should lose my job because you won't do yours? I don't think so.

If my cashier doesn't get REDCards, I get blamed. Why? Because it's my job to teach the cashiers how to get REDCards. I can do that. But if the cashier doesn't ask every guest and doesn't explain why the guest should get a REDCard and convince that guest to get a REDCard, then they aren't gonna get REDCards and I get blamed for not properly teaching and/or motivating that cashier.

So, yeah. If the cashier doesn't do his job, then I'm gonna pay. I'm not gonna pay, so the cashier will either do his job or get coached/termed.

I know this sounds awful, but my butt is ultimately more important than your butt, Mr. Cashier. I should lose my job because you won't do yours? I don't think so.

See that's where my problem is.
Not so much with the "Shit rolls down hill" situation, that's a fact of life but with the fact that way too many people use that as a motivational tool.
I'm not accusing you of doing that but I've seen it over and over.
Bosses who think that by telling people that their job is in jeopardy so they will step on whoever they have to make sure things work properly.
That doesn't exactly inspire confidence in people or make them want to work harder.
In fact the only one I've seen that is worse is the "I want to make get my bonuses so you better work hard." speech I've seen a couple of bosses do.

Some people are good cashiers and poor salesman.
It's a shame we don't have a place for them anymore.

I find the attention paid to red cards fascinating. It's the first thing we hear about at huddle.

With the new weekly goal, I can't wait until October ....

"Hey team, we only got 36 red cards last week. That brings our year total up to 1,546. We should have 2,156. So, we need 657 today. Anyone not getting 57 is fired. Come on team, I know we can do it."

I agree with you. It does sound awful.

My question is, when cashiers are hired, are they told it's their job to get so many red cards a week? Not just in passing, but explicitly.

IANAcashier, but I personally loathe being approached by a sales pitch directly by a person, for anything. I will dislike any store more and more and may never visit it again, if I am being shilled store cards because I am being put on the spot to provide an answer, and that feels like a bunch of pressure even if it isn't.

My suggestion would be to put a well-designed sign near the beginning of the line where people are waiting, to read about the benefits on their own -- or be handed a flyer about it so they can examine the details on their own time. You could even say, "I'll deduct a few cents off your total if you accept this flyer about our REDcard" (and then scan the no-bag-needed code) or something actually helpful instead of being put in the spotlight. Being put on the spot is extremely nerve-wracking, and having to put people on the spot should not be a thing.

Back