I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

My store does this. :eek:

My store would offer a $10 (once $20) Target Gift Card, for opening a new Redcard account. (We had a special bar code to scan, and it'd prompt for the card)

We we're also allowed to give the 10% discount (first purchase) if they weren't approved. (Keep in mind, this was before the 5% everyday)

I honestly, don't see a problem in giving a small gift card, along side for opening a new account. I think it's a great marketing tool (considering, the guest has to come back and use it, and they'll probably use it alongside their new credit account).

Keep in mind, it's been a long time since I've cashiered. But still... I thought, most stores did bonuses for opening new Redcard's.

One thing that surprises me. Is in my district, Target managed to send information home with local public school students, talking about the "take charge of education" program. It seemed like a great way to market the card. Yet they stopped it.

@HardlinesFour I agree that Target has not taken advantage of promoting the Take Charge of Education to each stores local schools. One of our GSTL's went to a local back to school night one time and took red card apps and flyers which I thought was a great idea. Never heard any more about her pursueing it though. So much opportunity there.

I think anyone who works for target can honestly say they have an apathetic relationship with the card at best and a downright hatred at worst. They keep getting pushed harder with time which affects moral and negative guest Service, despite the fact that by now most people who are going to get one already have one. I really like Target as a company, but I think the REDcard should be a service offered not required so that actual guest Service and moral can improve. What are your thoughts?

A lot of department stores have credit cards for a reason: if they own the bank, there's a ton of money to be made on the credit side. At the very least, it lowers transaction fees and gives them a great way to track consumer spending, which is another goldmine.

Now, they will also say that if people have the Redcard they will spend more money, but no one has ever proven if people spend more money because they have the Redcard or if they have the Redcard because they spend a ton of money.

Regardless, we are long past a time in this country when companies care about employee morale.

I really don't mind the red cards. As Retail Girl said, most if not all department stores offer them. As such I don't see them going anywhere. I work on the salesfloor, but when I do work a cashier shift I average at least one per shift. I find plenty of guests still don't know about them. I simply ask them If they have one as I talk to them during the transaction. If the don't I inform them of the benifits. Some will say there all set, others don't have a check with them, while others sign up. I have always found having a simple conversation with them starting with asking them how they are doing and letting the conversation run from there and at some point I do ring the red card into the conversation. It is all in the delivery. If the cashier doesn't appear to believe in what the are saying then the guest isn't likely to sign up.

As much as some guests do get pestered by us asking, I don't think they'll be the undoing of Target or even a contributing factor. Target will bring themselves down with their other idiotic business decisions (Canada, anyone?). I think we, as team members, despise the RedCards so much, that when we get turned down time after time and cut off in the middle of our RedCard speeches, we think that the guest despises them just as much as we do and it validates in our minds that they are useless, awful pieces of plastic that came straight from the bowels of hell.

However, that's usually not the case. I think it's more of them plain not giving a fuck and no more. I don't think having to listen to us talk about it really drives away guests as much as we think it does. They may be annoyed for the time being and that's the extent of it. Or, they just aren't even listening because they're in lala-land in auto-pilot mode and say no as soon as they hear the word "card" or "sign up" or whatever. I shopped at Target plenty before I started working here and I knew nothing about the card until I started working there. I'm sure I'd been asked a million times, but like everyone else I paid it no mind and just said no as soon as someone asked me to sign up for something.

You also have to think about the guests that actually do love their RedCard. I hate to admit that I like anything that has to do with Target or RedCards, but I do like my RedCard, especially added on to my employee discount. I hear guests talk it up a lot as well, so even though we all hate it because it kind of rules our lives, that isn't really the case for everyone.

As far as the guests who claim they won't shop at Target anymore because we keep pestering them about the card (I've never had anyone say this to me but I have heard of it happening), they're fucking lying. The end.

One of our long-timers suggested we give out reuseable bags (we had a crap-ton) to each guest who applied (since our area was doing away with plastic bags).
Leadership shot her down & said we 'weren't allowed to bribe guests to apply'.
Yeh, so they give them 5% off even if they're not approved but we can't give away a lousy bag that would do a little brand advertising?

one of my biggest peeves with the RC is when we "force" people who clearly do not understand what is going on such as the Elderly and people who just barely speak English. The other night a girl who never gets RCs was helping two women open a RC but they clearly did not understand what was going on, when it asked about income they put like over 100,000 and I really have a hard time believing that, and the machine says the application needs further review but hey I could be wrong but yea just for the fact something was not jiving and now they have a Credit card they don't even understand.

one of my biggest peeves with the RC is when we "force" people who clearly do not understand what is going on such as the Elderly and people who just barely speak English. The other night a girl who never gets RCs was helping two women open a RC but they clearly did not understand what was going on, when it asked about income they put like over 100,000 and I really have a hard time believing that, and the machine says the application needs further review but hey I could be wrong but yea just for the fact something was not jiving and now they have a Credit card they don't even understand.
Dont worry, they likely got denied. They'll never receive that card.

I used to get a ton of old people that thought it was just a membership card.

Also, supposedly at Kohl's, if you don't have your Kohl's credit card with you, you can just give them your information to pay. So I get guests thinking they can do the same thing with the Red Card. That get's annoying, because when I tell them I need the card in store, they treat me like I'm lying.

I used to get a ton of old people that thought it was just a membership card.

Also, supposedly at Kohl's, if you don't have your Kohl's credit card with you, you can just give them your information to pay. So I get guests thinking they can do the same thing with the Red Card. That get's annoying, because when I tell them I need the card in store, they treat me like I'm lying.
So kohls are the assholes responsible for this madness!!! It irks me so bad when people ask that, and I always wonder why they're so stupid as to think they can pay without having the card on them. Now I know what's up.

I hate the Red Card with a passion, I can usually get a couple every once in a while but lately everyone I ask either already has one or just cuts me off with a no (which I almost hate more than the Red Card it my job sorry I have to ask). Here recently we have an LOD up at the registers listening to make sure that we are asking every guest. There is card taped to every one of our registers by the scanners that reminds us of all of the benefits and we have to say it to every guest. It is fing impossible because most people don't want one and it kills vibe then I get pulled aside by the LOD because I haven't been asking the right way ( not pushing the debit card more or not listing all of the benefits which the guest don't let me get out in the first place). I am so close to just walking out the net time I get pulled aside for this crap :( I like being a cashier and vibing with guests but the Red Card is making my job a living hell.

Rant over, but it is getting ridiculous

I know what you mean, dondon. And you know the funny part? I bet ETL GE never got a redcard in his or her life. Every single ETL GE.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who wouldn't mind being able to choose from multiple designs for your RC? Since I carry both mine and my mother's card, it would definitely help to make it easier to tell them apart.

We have a cashier who gets complaints all the time about being too pushy about red cards. She also lies about the benefits. She gets red cards though, so none of the higher-ups will say a word to her about it.
she lies about benefits?? that's horrible, she should get fired for that. do you know what benefits she lies about?

I never like to ask the elderly or people who don't speak English about the RC. I probably should since we're supposed to ask everyone but I would definitely feel bad forcing people into it when they clearly are confused.

I hate the Red Card with a passion, I can usually get a couple every once in a while but lately everyone I ask either already has one or just cuts me off with a no (which I almost hate more than the Red Card it my job sorry I have to ask). Here recently we have an LOD up at the registers listening to make sure that we are asking every guest. There is card taped to every one of our registers by the scanners that reminds us of all of the benefits and we have to say it to every guest. It is fing impossible because most people don't want one and it kills vibe then I get pulled aside by the LOD because I haven't been asking the right way ( not pushing the debit card more or not listing all of the benefits which the guest don't let me get out in the first place). I am so close to just walking out the net time I get pulled aside for this crap :( I like being a cashier and vibing with guests but the Red Card is making my job a living hell.

Rant over, but it is getting ridiculous
THANK YOU. So much pressure is put on the cashiers for RCs. I don't know what the Team Leads want us to do, all we can do is ask. It's not like we can make people sign up. Also when people cut me off is irks me so much. The least the guests can do is wait for me to finish speaking before they shut me down. Is it so hard to just stand there and listen or least tune me out?

Back