I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

Anyone seriously have a good pitch other than "Are you saving 5% with a RC?"
I say "Are you saving 5% with a RC?" then if they say no "would you like to?" that way i'm pushing past the first no.

if they're using a debit card i emphasize debit, if they're young i emphasize free shipping, and i emphasize 5% stacking if they're cartwheeling. also starbucks 5%

I think in this kind of retail culture, you don't get paid to sign people up, you get literally nothing, it should be okay to stop pushing after the initial no.

If this were a real sales environment and cashiers had to have some sales experience and you get a small commission, I'd certainly be more persuasive, not so much aggressive, but persuasive. Cashiers at Target aren't anywhere near close to sales people and I think it's kind of stupid to put that kind of pressure on them to sell to get nothing in return, especially if it's a 17 year old just trying to get some part time work in.

Since I want to get involved in a sales experience I certainly try, to see if I can better myself as a salesman and as a speaker, but that's the only reason why I push past the first no, usually a 2nd no will shut me up and I'll continue with small-talk.

I think it's perfectly fine to ask "Are you saving 5% with our redcard?" and get told yes or no and leave it at that or go from there. My GSTLs ask that but they push it because they're graded on how many RCs they get in a shift, so it certainly matters to them, but I think it's inappropriate to continue to pressure TMs into getting 1 redcard every 100 transactions and pressure should definitely ease up on everyone.

While it's certainly doable to some people at Spot, I find a lot more people just don't want a redcard in my area and will never sign up for one even if it meant they get to live an extra long life. I also find a lot of TMs are burnt out from not being salespersons trying to sell a debit/credit card and get told no almost 90% of the time, they just stop caring because it doesn't mean anything anymore.

I think it's kind of stupid to put that kind of pressure on them to sell to get nothing in return

Yeah, I feel like Target should give TMs something for getting red cards as well. My other retail job before Target gave its employees a dollar for every card that was opened. It wasn't the best reward ever but at least there was something to provide a little motivation.

Last edited:
One of our more successful cashiers does the "You don't have a redcard? WHAT!? I see you in here all the time. How much money are you losing" etc etc She makes it super exclusive sounding and that you're lame if you don't have one.
That’s good.
Does applying for the debit version affect their credit score in any way?
I do not believe so. However SSN is still required for fraud prevention

My credit was not pinged when I applied for and received the debit RC.

I must say, I find the security procedures for the red card to be a little lax for comfort.

I managed to lock myself out of my account as my saved logins had the wrong password and all my usual alternate passwords didn't work. I also couldn't answer the security questions as I use nonsense answers to keep someone who really does know where I went to 6th grade from hacking my account and I lost the file with the answers when my daughter did a factory reset on my computer. I called customer support, I had to punch in the last four digits of my card during the voice prompts and nothing more. The person who picked up asked no identifying questions other than my name, didn't seem at all concerned that I couldn't answer my security questions and gave me a temporary password so I could log in and reset all my information. Literally I could have picked someone else's card off the ground and gotten access because nothing that wasn't printed on the card was asked.

That's kinda worrisome.

I must say, I find the security procedures for the red card to be a little lax for comfort.

I managed to lock myself out of my account as my saved logins had the wrong password and all my usual alternate passwords didn't work. I also couldn't answer the security questions as I use nonsense answers to keep someone who really does know where I went to 6th grade from hacking my account and I lost the file with the answers when my daughter did a factory reset on my computer. I called customer support, I had to punch in the last four digits of my card during the voice prompts and nothing more. The person who picked up asked no identifying questions other than my name, didn't seem at all concerned that I couldn't answer my security questions and gave me a temporary password so I could log in and reset all my information. Literally I could have picked someone else's card off the ground and gotten access because nothing that wasn't printed on the card was asked.

That's kinda worrisome.
Perhaps they saw you were calling from a number linked to your card. That’s what my ISP does sometimes.

I just have not been able to get any guests to sign up for a RedCard in what feels two or three weeks. I try to ask early in the transaction if the guest would like to sign up, but sometimes they are talking on the phone, watching their kids, or have a question about gift cards, or coupons and by the time I ask, they usually want to get out of the store as soon as possible. I wish Corporate would increase the savings from 5% to 10% as an added incentive.

I'm thankful that my store's leadership just. doesn't. care. Ive been at my store for 4 months and have no clue what my store's goal is.

I'm thankful that my store's leadership just. doesn't. care. Ive been at my store for 4 months and have no clue what my store's goal is.

It's not even a real metric anymore. The goal is now simply a forecast and you can't even look up how many an individual cashier has for the year.

I just have not been able to get any guests to sign up for a RedCard in what feels two or three weeks. I try to ask early in the transaction if the guest would like to sign up, but sometimes they are talking on the phone, watching their kids, or have a question about gift cards, or coupons and by the time I ask, they usually want to get out of the store as soon as possible. I wish Corporate would increase the savings from 5% to 10% as an added incentive.

I hate to say it but these are all excuses *some valid* and the cashier's who come up with these don't get red cards.

There are people at my store who get 2 or 3 every single shift.

Yes you have people who are distracted not interested etc. The key is to win over those who are considering getting one. Not all "no"s are the same.

Back when they mattered my store was number one in the group at beating goal and it was because my etl ge got the cashier's to stop believing the "nobody wants one" line.

Every day our goal is like 40 and we get maybe 2. We all act like we care but no one really does lol

I'm super happy with the new Red Card policy. There is no tracking of who gets more red cards. Way too many awful cashier's were being esteemed simply because they are good at getting Red Card signups.

It specifically calls out

1. Calling it a "Rewards card." instead of a Debit or Credit Card.

2. Getting people who already have a card to reapply.

3. Telling guest to use a fake social.

4. Offering a discount for applying and not being approved.

Those who obtain Red Cards through sketchy means can be coached or fired.

I've actually been selling a LOT of service plans lately. I ask even if the POS doesn't prompt it.

That's one thing I've been giving lots of customers, however, redcards are still dry. I actually got someone to sign up two weeks ago, but that was easy enough because I literally just asked and she said "actually that's why I'm here shopping today, I'm here to get a redcard." and then I got another sometime last week when someone walked up into my lane wanting to re-sign up for one.

I've sold maybe 20 service plans in the last two weeks when I do cashier shifts. I feel good.

The thing about redcards is it's super difficult to sell to a guest that they need this 5% off on the >$50 purchase they are making at that moment, that and it's already super saturated with people that have redcards already.

The thing about redcards is it's super difficult to sell to a guest that they need this 5% off on the >$50 purchase they are making at that moment, that and it's already super saturated with people that have redcards already.

either that it's super saturated or literally no one wants one.

not enough initial incentive to sign a guest up, I feel if it were truly easy enough to just give guests 10% off at sign up as a sign on bonus Corporate would do that. Perhaps it's easier said than done, but I think it'd certainly do the trick. Or print out a one-use 10%-15% off total purchase for future transactions.

Back