I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

I agree, I think if they had a 15% of the purchase when you sign up, that could bring in a lot of high-value transaction customers on that alone.

either that it's super saturated or literally no one wants one.

not enough initial incentive to sign a guest up, I feel if it were truly easy enough to just give guests 10% off at sign up as a sign on bonus Corporate would do that. Perhaps it's easier said than done, but I think it'd certainly do the trick. Or print out a one-use 10%-15% off total purchase for future transactions.
Make the "exclusive offers and savings" something actually tangible for the guests like that kind of offer. Even saying that trying to get these people to sign up for one it just sounds like something that would otherwise be replaced by "etc." Hearing that third "perk" is like a shot in the dark for the guest because they have no idea if those deals would be worth it or it would be like amazon's prime day.

lmao I always pitch the exclusive redcard sales and I always catch myself asking myself "what exclusive red card sales?" because I've legitimately seen none and no guests talk about it.. even though it's a new perk for the red card.

Oh well. Not my concern, if it's true that cashiers don't have a redcard metric no longer and the store just has a forecast or a goal, I think I'm 100% fine with just asking from now on instead of just pushing and persuading. I got so desperate once I told the guest they NEED this 5% off on each and every purchase and he was just kind of like "no one cares." and I'm like "you're right."

that was maybe a year ago now but t'was an interaction I'll never forget.

At Victoria’s Secret they give you $15 off your purchase if you apply for an angel card. With the angel card you get free shipping online with any bra purchase and pretty damn good exclusive sales and coupons. But the $15 off the purchase even if you’re denied was enough to make me apply

If I wore bras, I'd do that.

What's funny is Victoria's secret has a lot more expensive items and they can offer so much in a loyalty card but Target can only offer 5% off and free shipping and extended return policy at sign up lmao.

either that it's super saturated or literally no one wants one.

not enough initial incentive to sign a guest up, I feel if it were truly easy enough to just give guests 10% off at sign up as a sign on bonus Corporate would do that. Perhaps it's easier said than done, but I think it'd certainly do the trick. Or print out a one-use 10%-15% off total purchase for future transactions.

It used to be 10% initially, guest save more getting 5% everytime than 10% once and again on their anniversary.

They are also adding more RC exclusives this coming year

lmao I always pitch the exclusive redcard sales and I always catch myself asking myself "what exclusive red card sales?" because I've legitimately seen none and no guests talk about it.. even though it's a new perk for the red card.
Might it be the exclusive offers on cartwheel?

I remember that RedCard holders had early bird access to Black Friday deals. I don't recall if it was online only or also in store, because none of them actually interested me this year. I'd gotten my Instant Pot the week before with the weekend only kitchen appliance coupon.

There was also a recent additional discount on online only clearance items. Got myself a couple items from that one.

At my store we got an email from our (fairly new) ETL-GE about amping up the asking again, etc., and to make it more creative than "would you like to sign up for a RedCard?" (No guidelines on HOW to do this, of course.) Those who aren't doing it will be coached, etc. We have to wear the stupid "5% off every day" tags again. Some of our newer cashiers (seasonals who were kept) have no clue how to go about this so on my closing shift tonight, I was trying to give them some suggestions.

This seems a lot different from what I'm reading on here. Has anyone else heard anything like this, or is this a case of ASANTS, with my store drawing the short straw?

At my store we got an email from our (fairly new) ETL-GE about amping up the asking again, etc., and to make it more creative than "would you like to sign up for a RedCard?" (No guidelines on HOW to do this, of course.) Those who aren't doing it will be coached, etc. We have to wear the stupid "5% off every day" tags again. Some of our newer cashiers (seasonals who were kept) have no clue how to go about this so on my closing shift tonight, I was trying to give them some suggestions.

This seems a lot different from what I'm reading on here. Has anyone else heard anything like this, or is this a case of ASANTS, with my store drawing the short straw?

ASANTS. My store is in between pressuring to get redcards and not caring.

Basically, they want you to get a red card and encourage you to try and ask, but at the end of the day if you don't then try again next time sort of deal.

My GSTLs don't worry about it as much as usual. One GSTL that constantly talked to cashiers about their redcards and how they pitch it etc has kind of toned it down as well.

But definitely ASANTS, I know a store in the area that is still laying on the pressure to get at least one red card every 200 transactions.

My store is now extremely survey-focused. Which sucks because we get a bad survey almost every day it seems like

I had a strange situation today. I asked a guest if they wanted to sign up for the Red Card. She said yes, and I did the normal procedure for the Red Card after I scanned her items (about $80) and she was approved with a $3,000 spending limit for her temporary card. I scanned her temporary card, and a message of "Cannot use Temporary Card for this payment" appeared. I had no idea what to do, neither did the other cashiers, so we called the GSTL. He explained that corporate is reviewing the Red Card application process and that a guest cannot use the Red Card on the same day, even if they are approved. The guest paid using a check after complaining about the fact that it took 20 minutes to resolve this.

I haven't gotten a Red Card in awhile, so I may be out of the loop on this, but has anyone else encountered this problem? This only serves to remove a benefit for the guest applying in that they won't get 5% off immediately, which makes them less likely to apply in the future.

In the end, the GSTL gave her 5% off her purchase, but it caused the guests behind her to become frustrated at the long wait. I need to know if that means that guests can only apply for the Red Card separately from their purchase from now on.

If that's the case, they're going to need to change a heckuva lot of signage that says "save 5% today and every day".

You are kidding?!?! Many guests wait until they have a big purchase to get one and now they are gonna take one of the biggest reasons to do so away? And at the same time want to push RCs and that stupid metric again?!?

Me no likey.

I had a strange situation today. I asked a guest if they wanted to sign up for the Red Card. She said yes, and I did the normal procedure for the Red Card after I scanned her items (about $80) and she was approved with a $3,000 spending limit for her temporary card. I scanned her temporary card, and a message of "Cannot use Temporary Card for this payment" appeared. I had no idea what to do, neither did the other cashiers, so we called the GSTL. He explained that corporate is reviewing the Red Card application process and that a guest cannot use the Red Card on the same day, even if they are approved. The guest paid using a check after complaining about the fact that it took 20 minutes to resolve this.

I haven't gotten a Red Card in awhile, so I may be out of the loop on this, but has anyone else encountered this problem? This only serves to remove a benefit for the guest applying in that they won't get 5% off immediately, which makes them less likely to apply in the future.

In the end, the GSTL gave her 5% off her purchase, but it caused the guests behind her to become frustrated at the long wait. I need to know if that means that guests can only apply for the Red Card separately from their purchase from now on.
If that's the case, they're going to need to change a heckuva lot of signage that says "save 5% today and every day".
You are kidding?!?! Many guests wait until they have a big purchase to get one and now they are gonna take one of the biggest reasons to do so away? And at the same time want to push RCs and that stupid metric again?!?

Me no likey.
I think this was a POS glitch and not a new policy. There's no way that they'd do this-- our RC numbers would plummet.

In thinking rationally, I wonder if it was because of the larger credit limit? I don’t typically get guests w thst high of a limit.

In thinking rationally, I wonder if it was because of the larger credit limit? I don’t typically get guests w thst high of a limit.
based on the message "cannot use temp card for this payment" were they buying any kind of giftcard or anything else like that. maybe you can't buy them with the temp card?? idk though we get a lot of disney GC people who sign up for that....

I still hold it was a one time POS glitch

based on the message "cannot use temp card for this payment" were they buying any kind of giftcard or anything else like that. maybe you can't buy them with the temp card?? idk though we get a lot of disney GC people who sign up for that....

I still hold it was a one time POS glitch
No, they weren't buying any gift card or anything like that. I have to agree with you that it was a one-time glitch, although I have been afraid that the same thing would happen so I haven't asked as many guests if they want to sign up for the Red Card to be honest.

I’ve noticed that every single red card app I’ve done in the past couple months has been denied, and they’ve all been debit apps. Literally how can you be denied for a debit card, how is target wanting every guest to have one but being so strict and picky and denying so many people

I was initially declined for a debit, but when I called to find out why it turned out that definitely my recent identity theft and possibly my MIL's name pinged their verification process and I simply had to answer some additional identifying questions. The ones that ask "Which of these streets did you live on 20 years ago?" where you lived for less than a year 10+ moves ago and you're thinking "How the heck am I supposed to remember that?"

Today, I got another Red Card application, and it worked out fine, unlike the last time a guest applied. The guest was approved and able to use her temporary card in order to pay for her transaction and get their 5% discount so I am almost certain that the last time was a one time POS glitch.

It could have been just that a server was down (or even just slow to respond) somewhere in the process with communicating with the bank or something like that, too.

I’ve noticed that every single red card app I’ve done in the past couple months has been denied, and they’ve all been debit apps. Literally how can you be denied for a debit card, how is target wanting every guest to have one but being so strict and picky and denying so many people

Too many bounced checks, NSF, or a lack of history with Target from the top of my head

Q: If I have a debit RC and lost it, how do I get it replaced?

Hardmode: I don't have it linked to an online account (afaik) as I activated it over the phone. I also don't have the card # handy.

Help?

Back