I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

Green, I haven't read all the responses to your question on here, but I am a GSTL and 6 months ago when I started at my store, we were blood red on conversion. I had a LOT of talks with my cashiers and did a TON of observations. Here's what I can offer you:

When cashiers ask in that "tiered" approach, they rarely get a sign up. The reason for this is you're exasperating your guests with too many questions.. And once you get a "no" you need to be ready with your best pitch. All these close-ended questions usually end up in a lot of "no's" because we are programmed to just keep saying no.

I tell my cashiers to ask at the very beginning of the transaction, once you can have the guests full attention "are you going to be saving your 5% today with your REDcard?" If they say yes, awesome! Tell them their savings.

If they say no:
This is where it varies for different cashiers and even guests. I am actually pretty good at getting redcards, even just by walking up an pitching it cold with my cashiers. I am very about personality when you're selling. Example: the other night my cashier had a guest with a $140 purchase. I didn't hear her ask her guest if she was paying with a redcard, so I walked over...

Me: "So I KNOW you guys are using a redcard today because you'll be saving 7 bucks!"
Guest: "Hmm..."
Me: "seriously, it's so quick to sign up, and if you have your check on you, the debit card works just like your regular debit card. You have a pin and everything, but you use it at target to save that 5% everytime. You Guys should get it. I love mine."
Guest: "yeah, let's do it!"

No joke. Happens all the time. I don't get tripped up on my words, I can change my pitch to fit different guests, ages, faster slower, whatever.

I have an extensive sales background, so I find it easy to read people and be able to get straight to the point. My biggest advice is to really just work on how you talk to people. If you GENUINELY believe in what you're selling and you're positive about the outcome, you'll have no problems.

Example: at my store I had a team that all but maybe two cashiers, would all complain and whine and talk about how hard getting cards were and would come up with a billion (literally) excuses about why they couldn't get them...

So I have a ton of conversations, coachings, role playing, competitions... Etc etc and it did little to improve our conversion.

Then I hired three new cashiers and made sure to talk about the card multiple times in their interviews. I sold every single one of the on the card and put good vibes into the idea of it. Guess what? They are KILLING it on conversion. They each get 2-5 cards a shift... So all my cashiers that say its impossible, are not really trying. Sorry, but its true. And now that the older cashiers are seeing the new ones come in and do great, we had more tough convos and now we are performing better than ever. For a store that spent 5 months consistently red, we have now been really really green for two weeks and this week is already looking good too.

So again, my best advice is, stay positive, get your pitch quick and concise, play to your guests (if they're young, be like "dude, get this card" if they're older talk about pharmacy rewards...) Whatever you think will interest them the most instead of just listing all the benefits mindlessly, don't ask so many questions, only if they're using their card in the beginning and then jump straight into explaining the debit.

If you need me to elaborate on anything, just let me know. It's very possible if you really know your stuff and you don't waste time with all those questions.

Plus, I always offer to take over my cashiers lanes if they're signing someone up so people don't have to wait. And make sure you tell them they can bring back their check the same day, sign up at guest service and save their money on that same receipt same day.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting...

Green, I haven't read all the responses to your question on here, but I am a GSTL and 6 months ago when I started at my store, we were blood red on conversion. I had a LOT of talks with my cashiers and did a TON of observations. Here's what I can offer you:

When cashiers ask in that "tiered" approach, they rarely get a sign up. The reason for this is you're exasperating your guests with too many questions.. And once you get a "no" you need to be ready with your best pitch. All these close-ended questions usually end up in a lot of "no's" because we are programmed to just keep saying no.

I tell my cashiers to ask at the very beginning of the transaction, once you can have the guests full attention "are you going to be saving your 5% today with your REDcard?" If they say yes, awesome! Tell them their savings.

If they say no:
This is where it varies for different cashiers and even guests. I am actually pretty good at getting redcards, even just by walking up an pitching it cold with my cashiers. I am very about personality when you're selling. Example: the other night my cashier had a guest with a $140 purchase. I didn't hear her ask her guest if she was paying with a redcard, so I walked over...

Me: "So I KNOW you guys are using a redcard today because you'll be saving 7 bucks!"
Guest: "Hmm..."
Me: "seriously, it's so quick to sign up, and if you have your check on you, the debit card works just like your regular debit card. You have a pin and everything, but you use it at target to save that 5% everytime. You Guys should get it. I love mine."
Guest: "yeah, let's do it!"

No joke. Happens all the time. I don't get tripped up on my words, I can change my pitch to fit different guests, ages, faster slower, whatever.

I have an extensive sales background, so I find it easy to read people and be able to get straight to the point. My biggest advice is to really just work on how you talk to people. If you GENUINELY believe in what you're selling and you're positive about the outcome, you'll have no problems.

Example: at my store I had a team that all but maybe two cashiers, would all complain and whine and talk about how hard getting cards were and would come up with a billion (literally) excuses about why they couldn't get them...

So I have a ton of conversations, coachings, role playing, competitions... Etc etc and it did little to improve our conversion.

Then I hired three new cashiers and made sure to talk about the card multiple times in their interviews. I sold every single one of the on the card and put good vibes into the idea of it. Guess what? They are KILLING it on conversion. They each get 2-5 cards a shift... So all my cashiers that say its impossible, are not really trying. Sorry, but its true. And now that the older cashiers are seeing the new ones come in and do great, we had more tough convos and now we are performing better than ever. For a store that spent 5 months consistently red, we have now been really really green for two weeks and this week is already looking good too.

So again, my best advice is, stay positive, get your pitch quick and concise, play to your guests (if they're young, be like "dude, get this card" if they're older talk about pharmacy rewards...) Whatever you think will interest them the most instead of just listing all the benefits mindlessly, don't ask so many questions, only if they're using their card in the beginning and then jump straight into explaining the debit.

If you need me to elaborate on anything, just let me know. It's very possible if you really know your stuff and you don't waste time with all those questions.

Plus, I always offer to take over my cashiers lanes if they're signing someone up so people don't have to wait. And make sure you tell them they can bring back their check the same day, sign up at guest service and save their money on that same receipt same day.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting...

Props. At least you're leading by example which is more than I can say for most TLs.

RedisRad, it sounds like things have improved a lot. You're doing great.

Thanks guys! It's taken a lot of adjusting and creative solutions, but my team is doing better than ever :)! I owe you guys a lot of thanks for all the advice as well. Sometimes it just takes some getting used to.

I got pulled aside the other day and was told I need to push the red cards more. When I told them I ask every guest, I was told when they say "no" to ask again. What? How's that going to do anything but annoy people? I'm trying to change up my pitch, see if it helps at all. I've notice I bounce back and forth a lot. One day i'll get 3 then 1 on another day then goes weeks without any. :/ Trying to stay positive, but it seems when we don't reach our goal for the day they just tally them to the next days goal. That obviously not going to work long term target.

I can usually manage about 3 per cashiering shift. I got 6 the other day, and that was cool. I have one GSA who goes effin' INSANE for Red Cards. The only problem is, I live in a pretty heavy tourist town, and it's the only Target store for about 150 miles for a lot of people, so they claim because they live so far they cant sign up for the card. I always try to explain to them that the card can still be used regardless of how often the shop at Target, especially since the people to live 70 miles away usually spend a LOT of money every trip. If it still doesn't work, I can usually offer them 10% off for signing up (I don't no if that's common practice at Target stores or not) with the promise that they never actually have to use the card.

I am SO frustrated today. We're a huge store and we have been RED for a while now. We need about 35 a day to get to GREEN. So, I work with the Cashiers, I work with the Sales Floor, I work with the ETLs to be sure that they are giving recognition to all the TMs who get REDCards. BUT, my team of eight GSA/GSTLs? Only three of us are GREEN. How the heck can we pressure our cashiers, our sales floor, etc to sell the card if WE don't? I coached a GSA today who hasn't gotten a REDCard in weeks - her response? Well, I'm actually working while you're just getting REDCards/ AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH. Does she think that getting REDCards is play time?

I need a beer.

Please help! We were given a short time reviewing the guide and I wasn't able to understand the part about when a guest agrees on applying for the RedCard. what is the step by step procedure? Please tell me in detail XO This is my first time in cashiering so I don't have the slightest clue about these kinds of things. Thank you!!

well my title of redcard king is gonzo.... new TM beat it on her second day and now my coworkers are laughing at me saying u got beat by a girl...... im so frustrated that i wanna cry

The all star cashier at my store will start off the conversation like this: "M'am just to let you know, Target has started doing this really awesome thing for our guests where we let them save five percent every time they shop with us." That usually gets them interested, then she talks up the debit by hammering in how it's NOT a credit card and how it has no hidden fees etc etc. Then she talks about the TCOE. She sounds extremely confident though and you can tell she has practiced her speech and has it down. I think people are more likely to listen and give in if you sound like you know what you're talking about.

This girl gets at LEAST fifteen per shift, 20 on a good day, and 30 on an amazing day. Dead serious.

The all star cashier at my store will start off the conversation like this: "M'am just to let you know, Target has started doing this really awesome thing for our guests where we let them save five percent every time they shop with us." That usually gets them interested, then she talks up the debit by hammering in how it's NOT a credit card and how it has no hidden fees etc etc. Then she talks about the TCOE. She sounds extremely confident though and you can tell she has practiced her speech and has it down. I think people are more likely to listen and give in if you sound like you know what you're talking about.

This girl gets at LEAST fifteen per shift, 20 on a good day, and 30 on an amazing day. Dead serious.

It was not as easy, when old timers could only offer 10% off (one time) :(

For guests who live far away from the store, try to "sell" the Redcard by telling them about the free shipping w/ 5% at Target.com. I've had a couple of people sign-up for a RC just for the idea of target.com

I am SO frustrated today. We're a huge store and we have been RED for a while now. We need about 35 a day to get to GREEN. So, I work with the Cashiers, I work with the Sales Floor, I work with the ETLs to be sure that they are giving recognition to all the TMs who get REDCards. BUT, my team of eight GSA/GSTLs? Only three of us are GREEN. How the heck can we pressure our cashiers, our sales floor, etc to sell the card if WE don't? I coached a GSA today who hasn't gotten a REDCard in weeks - her response? Well, I'm actually working while you're just getting REDCards/ AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH. Does she think that getting REDCards is play time?

I need a beer.

haha my store needs 6-8 a day to be green during the week. We've actually had days where 4 would do it.

On the other part of your comment, I can't tell you how frustrating it is to me to be coached by my ETLs on the store's low conversion (its over 2.5 BTW) and then I look at my ETLs YTD conversion and its under 1. shut up and help me help my team rather than just telling me we're not good enough. Oh, wait, you don't have any tips b/c you haven't gotten a REDcard in two months and you kinda suck at it. OK thanks bye.

Actually a question for any GSTLs or ETLs reading this...does anyone know if the report still exists that tells you what percentage of your sales come from REDcard sales? I can't find it in the new VIBE crap and one of my personal goals was to get our percentage to 25%.

Last edited:
isis .. You will find that on the store fact sheet it's on the bottom left of the last page I think?? Only updates once a month workbench> store performance > store reports > store fact sheet

Our STL told us it was ridiculious that all the GSA's and GSTL's have crazy high conversion scores. We shouldn't be getting redcards because we should be spending out time inspiring our team to get redcards. UH YES, I get that but i can't help it if we get cards when we happen to cashier! That was the stupidest conversation i've ever had with him and i had a beer as soon as i got home. I never thought i would get my butt chewed for having a great conversion score.

Our STL told us it was ridiculious that all the GSA's and GSTL's have crazy high conversion scores. We shouldn't be getting redcards because we should be spending out time inspiring our team to get redcards. UH YES, I get that but i can't help it if we get cards when we happen to cashier! That was the stupidest conversation i've ever had with him and i had a beer as soon as i got home. I never thought i would get my butt chewed for having a great conversion score.

Damned if ya do....

I need a beer.

haha my store needs 6-8 a day to be green during the week. We've actually had days where 4 would do it.

On the other part of your comment, I can't tell you how frustrating it is to me to be coached by my ETLs on the store's low conversion (its over 2.5 BTW) and then I look at my ETLs YTD conversion and its under 1. shut up and help me help my team rather than just telling me we're not good enough. Oh, wait, you don't have any tips b/c you haven't gotten a REDcard in two months and you kinda suck at it. OK thanks bye.

Actually a question for any GSTLs or ETLs reading this...does anyone know if the report still exists that tells you what percentage of your sales come from REDcard sales? I can't find it in the new VIBE crap and one of my personal goals was to get our percentage to 25%.

I believe that score is called REDcard penetration or something like that. It should be listed under your Sales scores.

I believe that REDCard penetration percentage is the number of shoppers who use a REDCard, while the score he's looking for is the $$ amount of REDCard sales versus non-RC sales.

Back