I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

My store that I work at has been platinum for redcards for the past 3 months. I don't get very many redcards but they keep hounding me and saying I could be suspended. Is that true?

So, as of last week at my store, we're required to keep track of how many offers, apps, and which cashiers did/didn't get a RedCard during your GSA/GSTL shift; then send these all figures to the ETL-GE and STL after your shift. Do any other front end teams out there do this? It's just surprising to see this sudden extreme push for RedCards; considering we meet, and usually exceed, our district and store conversion goals every week. The way our STL and ETL-GE are presenting this, it seems more like a corrective action than a motivation to exceed even further on conversion.

Thoughts?

It can't be for individual conversion because that's easily pulled along with their speed scores.
Redundancy, thy name is Spot.....

So, as of last week at my store, we're required to keep track of how many offers, apps, and which cashiers did/didn't get a RedCard during your GSA/GSTL shift; then send these all figures to the ETL-GE and STL after your shift. Do any other front end teams out there do this? It's just surprising to see this sudden extreme push for RedCards; considering we meet, and usually exceed, our district and store conversion goals every week. The way our STL and ETL-GE are presenting this, it seems more like a corrective action than a motivation to exceed even further on conversion.

Thoughts?

We have started doing this too. Our ETL GE will then corner the cashiers who didn't get redcards and ask them "what happened? why didn't you get any redcards?!"

This sucks.....

Thoughts?

We're supposed to do this, and we do it for a while, and it goes on the back burner, and then we do it again and the circle goes on and on.

Seems like this all goes right along with the whooping and hollering that happens over the walkie at my store, whenever anyone gets a redcard. It's obnoxious and hinders the Operator whenever every ETL in the store congratulates a TM every time a guest signs up for a redcard. The big push for these cards is getting to be too much... though I can understand the timing. I just hope it doesn't get in the way of true guest service.

If Target would just get their crap together and find a way to have guests open a redcard (debit of course) with the guests' current debit card they would get ALOT more redcards! Who carries checks anymore? I know it's suppose to be in the plans BUT that's been now a year!

Had a test roll out for this very thing at our store. It caused so many issues we ended up dropping it. Ultimately it just didn't work.

If Target would just get their crap together and find a way to have guests open a redcard (debit of course) with the guests' current debit card they would get ALOT more redcards! Who carries checks anymore? I know it's suppose to be in the plans BUT that's been now a year!

Had a test roll out for this very thing at our store. It caused so many issues we ended up dropping it. Ultimately it just didn't work.

Did you actually use guests' debit cards or was it the fake check pilot?

My store keeps a daily tally, but I think part of that is because we're always giving out small prizes for Red Cards. Sometimes we do a power hour and the first person to get a Red Card gets a $20 prize.

Hey! At my store we are leading our district for probably five months now. My partner GSTL and I do not do much other than displaying the amount of REDs the cashiers get throughout the month.

I have 3 posterboards up in the hallway that display "5, 10, 15..etc" and as they get more REDs throughout the month, we move their name to the next spot. I believe that by displaying their names, we are recognizing them as well as holding them accountable. The other thing that I do personally, is personal face to face on the spot recognition, over the walkie, and writing them encouraging and positive notes. My ETL does not agree with using gifts as an incentive, so I have steered away from it as much as possible. We do have a few difficult TM's that require a little more attention, in that case, I will get them Starbucks or a small onespot item to keep them going...

If I may ask..what is your current conversion? Is there anything I can do to help other than this?! I'm very results driven when it comes to conversion, and also very excited to help other stores get to a good place! Let me know!

I've heard that rumor swirling as long as I've been at Target... that if you go delinquent on your Redcard you can be fired for it. Does anyone know how accurate that is?

Long story short, I may just find myself in that situation. Please don't judge-- still at this moment I have perfect credit and have never paid anything late in my life. I understand financial responsibility. I guess I'm a poster child for not growing too financially dependent on your spouse! (or, ex-spouse!)

I can't help with the answer, but before you go delinquent call and see if they will make arrangements with you. Being proactive is better.

Hugs, my divorce was brutal (and long and expensive).

Most of that comes from the days when Spot owned the Redcard.
They sold off their financial operations a few years ago so it's a bank issue now.
I wouldn't worry about it now except for what it will do to your credit rating.

Neversaynever has good advice, I'd take it and call them.

Last edited:
Back