The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

Talkers. Rambling chattering talkers who go on and on explaining why they're buying something, or why they're returning the red shirt for a blue shirt or whatever. No one gives two shits why they're doing what they do unless it's stealing. It's not that I odn't have time to listen, it's that I don't care. Really, I have no interest in knowing why you're returning little Johnny's Spider Man underpants and buying him Aqua Man. I. Do. Not. Care.

People on the phone. Lady today was deep into a conversation and I rang up her shit and pointed at the display and she said "you can talk, I can do both things at once" really condescending. I wanted to slap her.

My newest pet peeve is grand parents who bring in grandchildren and let them walk over them.

Now I get it, a grandparents job is to spoil but it blows me away how some of these kids talk to their grandparents and some of them just take it wanting to be liked...

some of them just take it wanting to be liked...
Nah, it's because their own kids treat them like sh*t so they spoil the grandkids & turn 'em back over to the parents.
Case in point: One of my sisters used to leave her toys out in the middle of the floor. One night Mom steps on one & nearly punctures her foot. Years later when sister had boys Mom gave them Legos for Christmas.
Lots & LOTS of Legos.

Goddamn, is no one parenting anymore?????
No, because I had a girl, maybe about 7-8 climbing and jumping all over / near my belt. At one point she was almost laying on top of it. Her parents didn't say anything until she tried the same thing about 4 more times. Ugh.

I hate when guests reach over the counter and grab the bag before I hand them to them I feel slapping their hand ( I know a bit dramatic) and then putting their bag on the counter.

I hate that! I know some of them are trying to help - but I actually bag things by type so if you take that one bag with frozen peas in it you are also going to have one bag with just your ice cream in it. Can I please put all of your frozen stuff in the same bag? I have been known to look at the guest and tell them "I'm still putting things in that bag" as I hand them something else to place in it while it is now in their cart.

I've always known that people are generally selfish and kinda stupid but working at Target the past couple years really drives this home.

They seem to think that we're robots, that we're not human, don't have feelings, are not educated, and are their personal servants. We have repeat guests who refuse to use even the most basic of good manners. They're entitled brats, selfish schemers, rude turds. Not all, but a lot of them are.

Sometimes there's an unfortunate line at the service desk. It happens, three people walk in all at once with returns. We're in back up on lanes, and invariably a guest comes to SD to check out but they don't get in line, they jump the line and come right to the counter and start unloading stuff. I won't even make eye contact, I keep talking to the guest I'm handling, and I talk a little louder. Line jumpers always get exasperated and sometimes I cant' get back up and they have to wait. When back up gets there, I tell them who's next and it's NOT the line jumper.
I don't know what kind of entitled life they've had but you can't just cut in front of three people who've been waiting in line.

Also, when I go to grab a guest to bring them to SD, I always say that I can take the NEXT guest in line. There's often a line jumper who will run their cart full of 300 items to the front screaming that they're in a hurry and don't have time to wait in line.
I always laugh when two returns walk in and reach the desk before them and they have to wait, tapping their feet, looking exasperated.

Yeah, line jumpers. They suck.

It kills me when guests ask if I am open when I have my closed sign and my light is off on my lane or when they asked if I am closed and I am clearly open with light on.
Once a lady practically forced me to help her when I was supposed to be off, I was closed and already had logged out and put the closed sign on, was about to leave when she popped up and moved the sign saying "no its okay, you can help me, you can help me" -_-

I was closed and already had logged out and put the closed sign on, was about to leave when she popped up and moved the sign saying "no its okay, you can help me, you can help me" -_-
That's why I literally *run* after I finish with my last guest, as I know that's when the old bittys with a cartload of things love the Express lane because the regular lanes are "So far away" :rolleyes:

Once a lady practically forced me to help her when I was supposed to be off, I was closed and already had logged out and put the closed sign on, was about to leave when she popped up and moved the sign saying "no its okay, you can help me, you can help me

Guest like this have to be stood up to. Or else they are enabled to do it again. I hope next time you politely say ma'am my light us out and I need to clock out, please respect my time

It kills me when guests ask if I am open when I have my closed sign and my light is off on my lane or when they asked if I am closed and I am clearly open with light on.
Once a lady practically forced me to help her when I was supposed to be off, I was closed and already had logged out and put the closed sign on, was about to leave when she popped up and moved the sign saying "no its okay, you can help me, you can help me" -_-
That's why once I had my light off I just turned around and did not make eye contact. Just headed toward the time clock.

While on backup one night a mother and a teen girl were in the line. I made small talk, I don't even remember what I said and the mother said the girl was upset because she wanted to go to a party and couldn't. Okay, move on in the conversation and the mother says "Aren't you going to ask why she can't go to the party?" I just stopped the small talk and focused on the transaction (uncomfortable) and the girl kinda mumbled. Then the mother said "Say 'I lied to my mother and that's why I can't go to the party.'" That made it really, really uncomfortable and of course not only was I hearing this, so was the guest behind them. Please folks, yeah sometimes you gotta discipline your kids, but don't involve me when you want to publicly humiliate them.

I'm as diplomatic as possible but a couple of times I've not only had to direct the guest to an OPEN lane, but when they start to argue, tell them that we are expected to clock out when we're scheduled out and that I'll get in trouble if I don't leave my lane right now.

I'm going to start making shit up - I have to get my kid from piano lessons, I'm running late for my mammogram, I have to pick up my husband from the airport because he's coming home from Iraq tonight, I have to pick up my grandma from rehab, I have to take my pet llama to his veterinary appointment....

Taking husband in for his colonoscopy appointment, taking the cat to the vet to have her anal glands cleaned out, running to the doctor's for #3 in a shot series for an STD, bailing nephew out of jail, meeting fire dept at home because younger daughter locked herself in the bathroom AGAIN & older daughter can't reach the ladder, Granny started a fire while cooking.....
This could be fun.

As someone who stocks shelves overnights so no guest interaction...my biggest guest pet peeve is when they use the shelf as a garbage can. Dumping everything from used napkins, half empty Starbucks, half eaten cookies, to empty sample cups (and sometimes not empty). *sigh*

• When they throw the money on the counter or belt while I have my hand out. Yet they hold out their hand and expect me to hand it to them when I give them their change
  • *closing Pizza Hut with the lights off and no food out* "excuse me, do you have any food coming out?"
  • When they grab their bags and leave their empty cart at the end of my lane. -_-
  • *standing at a register with the light on* "are you open?"
  • *quickly ringing up my last guest with the light off* "are you open?"
  • "But the sign said..."
  • When I smile, look at them, and ask how they are and they look at me and don't say anything. Well okay then lol

'thank you for respecting the light' is what I will say to a guest when they realize I'm trying to close and back out of my lane. (naturally in a fun tone) If I have to be some where I'll jet but if I'm not in a hurry I'll take them and they feel special! I also tell them we must hurry because not all guest respect the light!

Back