The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

'thank you for respecting the light' is what I will say to a guest when they realize I'm trying to close and back out of my lane. (naturally in a fun tone) If I have to be some where I'll jet but if I'm not in a hurry I'll take them and they feel special! I also tell them we must hurry because not all guest respect the light!
I've had the overexaggerated grumbler a few times lol. Oh yes, it's awful that you'll have to move your cart just a few steps to the next lane isn't it??? Lordy, some people.

Was in on my day off with husband & the boys doing a large shop.
We'd unloaded everything onto the belt & had pushed the cart thru to start loading when a guy, thinking he saw a short line, rushed up to get in behind us cutting off a lady who was walking up to our lane.
He took one look at our piled-high conveyor belt & walked off.
The lady he'd cut off just shrugged & we laughed.
Thanks to husband & boys bagging everything up like pros, we were out before Mr. Impatient.

Telling their kids to just go to the cafe and order whatever they want while they are still in line waiting to checkout. Then they get upset when ive put their kids stuff to the side because i actually have guests that can pay me while waiting for them to come on over. They always add more to the order anyways. This seems to happen more and more frequently.

It kills me when guests ask if I am open when I have my closed sign and my light is off on my lane or when they asked if I am closed and I am clearly open with light on.
Once a lady practically forced me to help her when I was supposed to be off, I was closed and already had logged out and put the closed sign on, was about to leave when she popped up and moved the sign saying "no its okay, you can help me, you can help me" -_-
I once had a guy walk up to an unmanned lane with no light on and unless his entire cart of crap on the belt. I was walking back to pharmacy after my meal and he says, "aren't you going to help me?" I said, "no, I don't work up here. That lane is closed. You'll have to go to an open lane." He yelled after me, "well, you work here, don't you?" I just kept walking.

I once had a guy walk up to an unmanned lane with no light on and unless his entire cart of crap on the belt. I was walking back to pharmacy after my meal and he says, "aren't you going to help me?" I said, "no, I don't work up here. That lane is closed. You'll have to go to an open lane." He yelled after me, "well, you work here, don't you?" I just kept walking.

No, I don't work here, I work at CVS over there.. Have a nice day.. :D

My biggest thing is when a guest breaks something and doesn't say anything. Like today there was drano all over the floor and people walking around in sandals, that is just a recipe for chemical burns and lawsuits.

OMG! Especially when it's on the belt. Now, they might not have known. But I was scanning and bagging, minding my own business, when suddenly, a freaking tsunami of beans starts rolling in and spilling all over the floor. "Oh I didn't know that my giant bag of beans was open." Ok. Sure.

I leaned over for literally half a second into the express lane to get a big bag for a guest at SCO. lady dumps her entire basket on the belt.

I leaned over for literally half a second into the express lane to get a big bag for a guest at SCO. lady dumps her entire basket on the belt.
This happened to a TM at my store who was overseeing SCO. He came around for less than a minute to undo a spider wrap and a lady put her stuff down right as he walked away and she called him the rudest person ever :rolleyes:

this was probably already posted. but, I hate when I ask someone how their day is and they say "no thanks just looking". That is not a description of how your day is.
Or "Paper or plastic?"
"Yes"

Yes what? Yes paper? Yes plastic? Yes answers a lot of questions, paper or plastic is not one of them.

this was probably already posted. but, I hate when I ask someone how their day is and they say "no thanks just looking". That is not a description of how your day is.

TBF they could have been asked "Can I help you find something?" too much or just are super awkward. It's like when someone tells me "I hope you feel better" or "enjoy your [insert item here]" and I say, "you too!" only to facepalm three seconds later. :oops:

But yeah, in the tone, super rude.

when guests don't know their target redcard pins. it's like you guys need to have this shit ready to go before coming on the checklane and taking so damn long that my rating turns red. today i almost had it with a guest who was holding up a very LONG line and sent her to guest services with her suspended transaction. ugh.

when guests don't know their target redcard pins. it's like you guys need to have this shit ready to go before coming on the checklane and taking so damn long that my rating turns red. today i almost had it with a guest who was holding up a very LONG line and sent her to guest services with her suspended transaction. ugh.

Yeah, they pull out their red card, SWIPE it repeatedly and ignore you when you tell them to insert the chip in the slot.
Then they finally do, and they say they don't have a pin. Uh, yes you do. No I don't. Uh YEAH YOU DO.
If they want to reset the pin I suspend if it's a big transaction and hold their cart, or void if it's only a few items and send them to go stand in the corner while they call. Not letting them hold my lane or desk hostage.

I"m still pet peeving on the ones who throw a bag on the desk and holler out as they're running off "I'm just gonna leave this here". Happened yesterday and I was so busy I never heard a thing. I found a bag on the SD full of clothes and was asking other TM's if it was paid & left. Was about to log it when some ditz walks up yammering about making exchanges and she left a bag with me and I was like who the fuck are you and she's like that's my bag and gets all pissy like lady you're not the only motherfucker in the store right now!!! AAARRRGH!!!!

Yesterday was like Xmas all over again. I was too busy to actually be pissy with anyone. Wish all shifts were like that.

Yeah, they pull out their red card, SWIPE it repeatedly and ignore you when you tell them to insert the chip in the slot.
Then they finally do, and they say they don't have a pin. Uh, yes you do. No I don't. Uh YEAH YOU DO.
If they want to reset the pin I suspend if it's a big transaction and hold their cart, or void if it's only a few items and send them to go stand in the corner while they call. Not letting them hold my lane or desk hostage.

I"m still pet peeving on the ones who throw a bag on the desk and holler out as they're running off "I'm just gonna leave this here". Happened yesterday and I was so busy I never heard a thing. I found a bag on the SD full of clothes and was asking other TM's if it was paid & left. Was about to log it when some ditz walks up yammering about making exchanges and she left a bag with me and I was like who the fuck are you and she's like that's my bag and gets all pissy like lady you're not the only motherfucker in the store right now!!! AAARRRGH!!!!

Yesterday was like Xmas all over again. I was too busy to actually be pissy with anyone. Wish all shifts were like that.
yeah i was ready to to get super pissy with that guest, but luckily after three tries her damn card "worked", next time i won't even let if get to a third time. gotta love that suspend transaction button.

The one thing guests do that just leaves me puzzled is the disappearing hangers. I'll see an item on the floor or draped over a rack and for once by some miracle it's right where it should be. Grab the item, look for the hanger. No empty hangers on the rack. No empty hangers on the floor. No empty hangers on nearby racks. Wtf?? What did they do with the hanger? Did they like the hanger so much that they wanted to take it home with them? I found four items this evening with missing hangers.

I'm curious does anyone ever say anything to guest when they
  1. Leave their Starbucks cup on the shelf and walk away
  2. Break/Spills something and walks away without trying to find a TM
  3. Brings down furniture/chairs/lamps/f-ing anything and just leaves it on the floor..and walks away
  4. Starts wrecking the SL tables
I cannot take it anymore, I don't go off the chain but now I'm more than willing to take a coaching to let these people know that above anything else it's purely disrespectful.
/rant

I'm curious does anyone ever say anything to guest when they
  1. Leave their Starbucks cup on the shelf and walk away
  2. Break/Spills something and walks away without trying to find a TM
  3. Brings down furniture/chairs/lamps/f-ing anything and just leaves it on the floor..and walks away
  4. Starts wrecking the SL tables
I cannot take it anymore, I don't go off the chain but now I'm more than willing to take a coaching to let these people know that above anything else it's purely disrespectful.
/rant

My personal favorite is when they take the plastic tubs down. Take one then leave the other 4 or 5 on the ground

Last edited:
On my day off, I passed an aisle where a woman was surrounded by different types of kitchen trash cans as she was trying to decide.
I came back by later to look for a particular size & she'd left every single one out.
Of course I put them all away (while looking for the one I wanted).

Back