The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

Star, you probably had something age-restricted in the order. I've had that error come up if I suspend a transaction that has either alcohol or drain cleaner in it.

Some of it is, at least in my state. The multi-packs and the Up&Up brand don't always ask for ID.

So are certain cold medicines, compressed air that you use to clean computers, spray paint, and stop-smoking patches and gums.

Some of it is, at least in my state. The multi-packs and the Up&Up brand don't always ask for ID.

So are certain cold medicines, compressed air that you use to clean computers, spray paint, and stop-smoking patches and gums.

Add rubber cement (glue).

When someone comes up to your counter, plops their bag full of stuff down, sighs, then proceeds to spend the next 3+ minutes thumbing through their purse and wallet looking for the receipt without saying a single word o_O am I the only one who makes sure I have everything i need before I even get out of the car????

And then trying to speed up the process by saying “if you paid with a card we can look it up using that instead so you don’t have to look for the receipt” and they just mumble “I have the receipt somewhere...” and keep slowly looking

Guests who don't have any organizational skills whatsoever and mix their produce, chemicals, meats, clothes, home items, and anything else they found in the store and just throw it on the belt.

Makes bagging stuff a nightmare.

"Can you bag all the cold stuff together?" – Yeah, can you put all the cold stuff together on the belt, then, Linda?

Guests who don't have any organizational skills whatsoever and mix their produce, chemicals, meats, clothes, home items, and anything else they found in the store and just throw it on the belt.

Makes bagging stuff a nightmare.

"Can you bag all the cold stuff together?" – Yeah, can you put all the cold stuff together on the belt, then, Linda?
And these same guests throw everything into the same bag when they use SCO. I’m standing there thinking “did they really just throw that package of meat in the same bag as the kids shorts and windex?” Ewww.

And these same guests throw everything into the same bag when they use SCO. I’m standing there thinking “did they really just throw that package of meat in the same bag as the kids shorts and windex?” Ewww.

Those are the worst. I just look at them in disgust.

Guests with a limited number of reusable bags who buy 97,000 items and expect they all fit into three bags that are already falling apart, lack the plastic insert at the bottom, and have 7 bullet-sized holes on every wall.

Then they get offended if you ask, "do you want me to put the rest in plastic?"

Guests with a limited number of reusable bags who buy 97,000 items and expect they all fit into three bags that are already falling apart, lack the plastic insert at the bottom, and have 7 bullet-sized holes on every wall.

On the guest side (yes, guilty) those bags are meant to hold a lot. A couple of times the cashier has probably packed 25 pounds in one bag, definitely more than 20, and the bag held up to the challenge. It's so much easier to carry 4 reusable bags that stand up neatly than 15 plastic bags that fall over and sometimes tear.

On the guest side (yes, guilty) those bags are meant to hold a lot. A couple of times the cashier has probably packed 25 pounds in one bag, definitely more than 20, and the bag held up to the challenge. It's so much easier to carry 4 reusable bags that stand up neatly than 15 plastic bags that fall over and sometimes tear.
Yes, I do my best to pack as many items as I can in each bag, geometrically and categorically. I usually only have two or three things left over that I selectively skipped because they didn't "fit" with the item I was packing (e.g. Comet cleaner mixed in with Pillsbury cookie dough because I guess they're both cardboard canisters with metal lids????). They'll be like, "oh, I'll MAKE them fit!"

Fine, your bag, your problem. I just don't want to get talked to for packing your chemicals with your food per that training. :p

Hope you're not at my store then. There are times that space is at a premium and if the cashier can't/won't put it in then I can't take it. I doubt that out of 7 billion people in the world that I'm the only one who has to worry about space. Some people have to take the bus or walk home after shopping, meaning that bag number is very, very important. People often have reasons they feel like they shouldn't be made to share to a stranger for needing to limit bag count.

Hope you're not at my store then. There are times that space is at a premium and if the cashier can't/won't put it in then I can't take it. I doubt that out of 7 billion people in the world that I'm the only one who has to worry about space. Some people have to take the bus or walk home after shopping, meaning that bag number is very, very important. People often have reasons they feel like they shouldn't be made to share to a stranger for needing to limit bag count.

I'm not asking that they give me an explanation as to why they only brought x-number of bags for y-number of items. What I'm saying is that sometimes guests buy a little more than their bags can realistically handle. I make the effort to stuff all the things in the bags they've given me, but I also won't proactively put your new blouse in the same bag as your strawberries along with your Drano. I am trying to be safe for them and the Spot.

I've walked home with grocery bags too. I get it. But there's no reason to be pissy at the horrendous suggestion that you take an extra bag. Just say, "no, thanks, I'll make room for it here" and move it.

I was pushing in shoes today when a mother and her daughter came in to browse. I greeted them and continued working. I would say the mother was late 20's early 30's. The girl about 7 or 8. After listening to the way the "mother' was speaking to her child, I actually had to leave the area. I could not trust myself to keep my mouth shut. Definitely should not be a parent. I am not a parent and I know how to talk to a child. Makes me sad for that little girl.

What I'm saying is that sometimes guests buy a little more than their bags can realistically handle.

Short of a fragile item like eggs, that would have to be a LOT of stuff. One bag can handle 2 gallons of milk, 3 blocks of cheese, 4 bags of frozen vegetables, 2 containers of lunchmeat and a container of sour cream. That's four plastic bags of groceries.

I don't even ask. If they don't like that I've started using plastic, they will start rebagging their purchases on their own. I also don't try to group their like grocery items together if they didn't do that on the belt. If it wasn't important for them to do it, now is not the time for me to start a scavenger hunt to do it.

Short of a fragile item like eggs, that would have to be a LOT of stuff. One bag can handle 2 gallons of milk, 3 blocks of cheese, 4 bags of frozen vegetables, 2 containers of lunchmeat and a container of sour cream. That's four plastic bags of groceries.
Very true, when the bags they give you are large enough for them. But not every guest brings bags as large as you're describing. I do my best to stuff the bags with like items. It works out 97% of the time, for me at least.

I don't even ask. If they don't like that I've started using plastic, they will start rebagging their purchases on their own. I also don't try to group their like grocery items together if they didn't do that on the belt. If it wasn't important for them to do it, now is not the time for me to start a scavenger hunt to do it.
I had one today give me the bags at the end because he was busy on his phone. Made me un-sack everything. I went home pissed.

Those are the worst. I just look at them in disgust.
Is that really so weird? I do it all the time. I have a backpack with all the stuff I'm carrying, and everything I buy just goes in the backpack. I bag meat, clothes, books, and electronics together without a second thought.

Back