The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

My new pet peeve-

So I wait until a guest is done speaking before replying back

1. Respect/reskect
2. Be active listener
3. Mask on can't see my lips moving so they stop talking

You'd be surprised how many guests use their hands to describe stuff. I'm not dumb or can't speak English.

WHeRe ArE tHE FaCeMasKS?

I am so done with that question. Not in sporting goods, buddy. Not in sporting goods. Also, not in diapers. No, they aren't back here in the chip aisle either. OK, fine there as some tied to mens but, no we don't actually put them here. No, you might have somehow wondered all the way back to tech, but we don't put them here either. We put them all at the very front of the store. Right there where you first walked in. Please stop fucking asking me whenever you happen to spot me everywhere else in the store.

WHeRe ArE tHE FaCeMasKS?

I am so done with that question. Not in sporting goods, buddy. Not in sporting goods. Also, not in diapers. No, they aren't back here in the chip aisle either. OK, fine there as some tied to mens but, no we don't actually put them here. No, you might have somehow wondered all the way back to tech, but we don't put them here either. We put them all at the very front of the store. Right there where you first walked in. Please stop fucking asking me whenever you happen to spot me everywhere else in the store.

I'm gonna add cleaning supplies....

The Clorox wipes are the 12ft section with empty shelves

We got so tired of looking at an empty aisle, we just filled it with a bunch of Tide lol. Not sure what they do when they get more Clorox wipes in though, I’m not around in the morning.

Incidentally, this is what we did with TP during the worst of the shortages. Park the pallet at the entrance and literally hand people whatever we had as they came in, one per guest. It took a couple weeks for someone to get the bright idea that maybe we should save some to put out on the shelves at night so afternoon shoppers could stand a chance.

At any rate, this technique apparently meant that we sold through TP much faster than other stores so when stocks started to come back we got ALL THE TP and had to open up to OPU/SFS because we were one of the only stores in town to have a good supply for a bit.

Guests invading personal space without saying anything. I'm on my knees stocking a lower shelf. Old lady comes behind me, while I'm unaware, and I see this old, wrinkly, sun scorched arm pass inches of my face. Not a word.

An "excuse me" would have sufficed.

I hope your Chobani was out of date. Also, you smell like an ash tray and a bottle of Jergens had sloppy sex in a hot car.

Sounds like something out of a horror film

I hate when guests approach you and just say the name of the item they need. No greeting or anything. “Picture frames??”

I always feel like responding “what about them?”

That's tempting, but I want to spend as little time as possible with those people so I just bark "v99!"* back at them and they seem fine with that.

*Not our actual aisle number, obviously.

People, if there is a sign or a bag on a register, that doesn't mean you go up to it, take said sign or bag off the register and attempt to use it. It's there for a reason.
I had someone try this very thing the other day and when I pointed out it wasn't working, they looked up and said: "Oh. Well, you really should have a sign or something."
My head voice: You mean like the one that's right in front of your face??? 🙄

Okay, gotta stick up for those people. There are people who are (general retail) customers whose wardrobe choice looks close to the workers, and even their name badge they didn't take off looks similar to the store's. There are employees on break. There are the vendors, who are working but not working for the store.

So what's worse, the customer wanting to make sure that you do belong, it's not a clothing similarity, you aren't shopping after your job without changing, you aren't on break? Or the customer walking up, assuming that you do belong and you can't possibly be on break, and demanding your help whether you are in the right store and on the clock to give it or not?

They're being polite. All the guests y'all see in a day, how many are respectful enough of your time that they want to make sure you are actively working at that moment?

WHeRe ArE tHE FaCeMasKS?

I have no problem with people constantly asking where the masks are as long as they put on a damn mask. I gladly walk them to where they are as a token of my appreciation of them giving a damn about other’s health.

Speaking in low volume so it's hard to hear them? Is that what you mean by "low talking"? What's the issue? Tell them to speak up so you can hear them and at the same time tell them to keep distance between you and them. It's a non issue, just do it. Screw them and their sensitivities.

Tweens who come up with their mom & mumble their order to her before mom says "Tell HER what you want!" so they'll mutter it without even looking at me.
I then play 'twenty questions', "Did you want whipped cream? Is that hot or iced? What size? The name for the order?" etc, all but badgering them into having to communicate.
These are the same kids who yell & shriek at each other across aisles or yell at each other from bathroom stalls so it ain't a volume problem.

It's all a game. That's all it is.

One night at Target had a woman practically whispering. I did all the usual tells ("I'm sorry?" "I didn't hear that, can you say it again." "My ears are stuffy, can you repeat that?" "Can you speak up?" Turning my ear towards her.) And finally with my ear facing her, I took a step forward. And she took a step back, and the decibels increased by maybe two. If she wasn't playing a game she would have suffered through closeness long enough to get help or shed have raised her voice by a couple dozen decibels.

Speaking in low volume so it's hard to hear them? Is that what you mean by "low talking"? What's the issue? Tell them to speak up so you can hear them and at the same time tell them to keep distance between you and them. It's a non issue, just do it. Screw them and their sensitivities.
The issue is that if you can't hear someone you can't tell them what they need, if they feel slighted they will complain and it will look bad on you and they are completely unwilling to either raise the volume or (also critical) enunciate. Yeah, part of mumbling is not crisply making each sound so it runs together unintelligibly. Masks worsen that.

One night I had to hear a guest bitch fierce because a deaf coworker didn't respond to her asking for help when she was standing behind the deaf coworker.

Back