Archived This blew my mind....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a guest(that's being nice) yesterday, I asked her CIHYFS?..she said yes but first commented "why would we hire a kid that's deaf" I asked her to repeat herself and she said the same thing. I stood up (was zoning) looked her in her eyes and said you got to be kidding me that you would say something like that. I told her I was offended by her comments, she asked to speak to a manager I told her I was a manager CTL...the hearing impaired tm handed her a pad of paper/pen to write her question but she refused and walked away..She wanted my name/corporates #.I told her to make sure she tells them how she feels about Target hiring hearing impaired tm's...she did ask me to help her I told her I was going on lunch. See ya....

People like that seriously need to go live in a hole for the rest of their life

As someone who has severe hearing loss in one ear and about moderate (not sure what is moderate) loss in the other, I find what this guest said was offensive. I have had this hearing loss since I was born. Some of my schooling was with hard of hearing kids. Sometimes, when someone says hi to me, I would hear just my name not "Hi, (team member) name". I would have to sometimes read lips (which I do poorly) just to try to understand the person. Guests will try to get my attention but I will not be able to hear them or, because I barely hear them, I have to confirm if they are trying to get my attention. Just the other day there was a guest who was standing probably 16 feet away from me on my poor hearing side, trying to get my attention but I just could not hear him. The only way I knew is because there was a team lead who just happened to walk by at that point and told me there was a guest standing there asking for help (I did have to explain to hear that because of my hearing loss, I just didn't hear the guest).

Last edited:
I work with a lady who has some sort of mental disability. Not exactly sure what it is.
Anyway, I always get upset when a guests asks her for her help and get impatient with her.
She knows where most items are and usually walks them over, but when she is looking for something unfamiliar or
the guest has a question she can't answer, she flags down another TM to help. This TM has a hard time speaking, so avoids using the walkie.
There have been times when she tells a guest to hold on, while she finds another TM and the guest just walks away.
She also told me that a guest called her stupid and another one called her useless.
I don't know why people are such asshles. :(

We have a nearly-deaf guy in our store.

One guest complained to a TL about him having a "bluetooth."

"Ma'am, that's a hearing aid."

---

I would love to see the day where I'm shopping and I'm behind someone belittling a worker for something and can't wait to give them a piece of my mind. Hasn't happened yet but I'm sure it will.

One of woman in soft lines is deaf.
We had an ETL who would go out of his way not to have to deal with her because she made him uncomfortable.
At first I was angry with him but after a while I just felt sorry.
I had guests who didn't know she was deaf and thought she ignoring them but as soon as they knew what was going on it was almost funny how quick they backed up.

Somebody like that guest needs to be brought down a peg and be made to realize that but for the grace of g-d they could be in the same place.

We had a hearing impaired cashier who was great! Very few guests knew she was hearing impaired, but I loved the day the guest came up to me, ranting about how she didn't bag her groceries the way she had specified. "I TOLD her which items to put in which bags and she IGNORED me! What's wrong with her? Is she stupid? Her name is XXX."

"Oh, XXX? Did you think her last name was "Hearing Impaired" cuz that's the other "name" on her name badge."

we have many disabled people who have worked or do work in our store. so far we have never had a problem but I can see how some people react badly. either they are very nice and patient or they just humor the team member. we seem to have more issues with just flat out rude people towards us in general.

We have a TM at my store who is deaf. Very good at reading lips though, and very verbal with us an customers. One of the most helpful TMs to be honest. Not afraid to ask for help either if they know they need it.

I would of told her off! We have two deaf people working with us overnight. Both very helpful, very friendly and funny.

my store has 2 hearing impaired TM's.. and recently they hired a TM with some sort of disability, not sure what kind but it's physical. I love the deaf TMs at my store but I'm more worried about the new one, especially when he/she back up cashiers, etc .

We have 2 guests who are deaf and they usually come in with their daughter, who isn't deaf. I know the ESL alphabet and numbers and a few basic signs, but that's about it. They are usually pretty ecstatic when I can "spell" things to them or I'll get a piece of paper and write things out.

We had 3 deaf tms: The one in the backroom transferred to a Target close to his home. Then there's one that's working 4 am (I think-she was overnight until we changed) and 1 in produce. The one in the backroom would always seem to come and find me to help with guests. The one in produce has had guests get upset and think he's ignoring them until someone explains that he is deaf.

We have a hearing impaired cashier. She is very good at her job and is very friendly. Most of our regulars know she can't hear well and will make sure to have eye contact or get her attention if they need to say something. There was one "lady" a few weeks ago who was so rude to her because she didn't do what she asked, she called her stupid and asked to speak to a manager. When the GSTL told her the girl is hard of hearing the woman just stormed off without a word of apology. The cashier was in tears because of it. I only wish I had been there to give this "guest" a few words of my own.

I'm fluent in ASL and while shopping at Walmart tonight (I know, I know... but I worked till close and needed some groceries!) I actually intervened when I saw one of their cashiers being a complete asshole to a deaf guest. I wasn't a douche about it, but I told the cashier "I can translate!" and signed the same to the guest. Afterwards I told the cashier how if I have no idea what someone is saying (whether I can't keep up with the ASL or cannot understand them for whatever other reason) I push out a piece of register tape and give them a pen. They usually know what to do. He was actually very thankful for my help. I couldn't help it... the fast, fun, and friendly trainer in me just couldn't stand by and let an "opportunity" like that pass!

Great Job pharmtechno.
A little patience goes a long way no matter what the situation.

I had a few guests who were deaf use there cell phones and text me what they needed. Go technology!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back