To That One Guest - II

TTOG: Wow you must think you're the Queen of England or something. You come in to return a pair of Wrangler jeans without a receipt, expecting a full refund. The jeans had already been salvaged out so I told you you would be getting 5.98 back. When you ask why it's so low, I explain we return no receipt items at the lowest price we've sold them in within the past ninety days (or the lowest clearance price if salvaged, not that I'm going to tell you that). You tell me you don't believe that we've sold the jeans for that price, so I place my Zebra in front of you and point to the price. You take the jeans and leave.

That's not the end of it though, as four hours later you return. This time with your receipt.

Of course your receipt is expired, and you bought the jeans back in February. They're not Target brand, so I cannot give you your full refund back. When I tell you we're in the same situation as before, you point to the sign behind me and say "You're not honoring your promise to do make sure your guests are satisfied." Bitch please you're rude, of course I'm not going to override my price for you. Leave.

TTOG: Wow you must think you're the Queen of England or something. You come in to return a pair of Wrangler jeans without a receipt, expecting a full refund. The jeans had already been salvaged out so I told you you would be getting 5.98 back. When you ask why it's so low, I explain we return no receipt items at the lowest price we've sold them in within the past ninety days (or the lowest clearance price if salvaged, not that I'm going to tell you that). You tell me you don't believe that we've sold the jeans for that price, so I place my Zebra in front of you and point to the price. You take the jeans and leave.

That's not the end of it though, as four hours later you return. This time with your receipt.

Of course your receipt is expired, and you bought the jeans back in February. They're not Target brand, so I cannot give you your full refund back. When I tell you we're in the same situation as before, you point to the sign behind me and say "You're not honoring your promise to do make sure your guests are satisfied." Bitch please you're rude, of course I'm not going to override my price for you. Leave.
My response: I am doing everything I can to make sure you’re satisfied. Unfortunetly, this is what I can do.

TTOG - Please don’t ding the drive up alert saying “I’m here” when you aren’t even in the parking lot yet. I stood outside the door for a full minute before you showed up. But thanks for stopping right at the door when you saw me with your bag instead of parking and making me walk to you. Kthx

TTOG: I understand it’s hard to have kids, but if your son is throwing that big of a tantrum because he disobeyed you and no longer gets that toy as a reward for good behavior, don’t give in and finally give it to him. Also, don’t tell him the cashier doesn’t want him to have it. Stand your ground. Literally my first shift GSAing and I thought a 10 year old boy was going to hit the cashier. I checked and made sure the cashier was okay and we joked about it, but the lady just let her kid scream about what a “horrible lady” the cashier was.
Oh, hello, NO. If I was that cashier I would have responded.

I never really interact with kids because I’m the youngest in my family and extended family so I’ve never really dealt with them and I honestly don’t know what to do/not to do but this one woman’s kid stood behind me the entire time I was ringing her up and was hitting me in the back of the knees with a toy bat over and over and i didn’t say anything bc i didn’t know how to approach it and all she was doing was going “stop that and get over here” every couple minutes in a monotone voice not even looking up from her phone and I don’t really know anything about kids but I’m pretty sure that’s not what you do

What you don't do is put up with abuse by anyone, whether they be 50 or 5. I'd start with a loud attention-getting voice of "Don't hit me!" A stare with the promise of mayhem (mom stare) can intimidate some kids if the loud voice doesn't do the trick. Beyond that....I don't know what can be done but I'd suspend the transaction and flip my light on. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be told to allow myself to be hit repeatedly, and Mom may decide to get involved before someone gets there just to get her shopping done faster.

I never really interact with kids because I’m the youngest in my family and extended family so I’ve never really dealt with them and I honestly don’t know what to do/not to do but this one woman’s kid stood behind me the entire time I was ringing her up and was hitting me in the back of the knees with a toy bat over and over and i didn’t say anything bc i didn’t know how to approach it and all she was doing was going “stop that and get over here” every couple minutes in a monotone voice not even looking up from her phone and I don’t really know anything about kids but I’m pretty sure that’s not what you do
I have never had a child (or an adult) hit me while working but I have kids so I’m pretty good at dealing with them. I would have taken the bat away telling the child “stop it” and handed it to mom saying “please stop your child from hitting me.” In my strongest “I ain’t putting up with this crap” voice. I have been known to parent other people’s kids when they are slacking at it and have never had a negative response.

Of course now that I post this my next shift will be filled with snotty kids and overly privileged moms.

No, I don't wish to participate in your racism. I understand you are old. I get that I'm white, too. But, no, your assumption that I will listen to your racist comments is wrong. I WILL stop the conversation.
I think my favorite stock reaction to this is just 2-3 seconds of awkward eye contact followed by "...huh?". Nothing actionable that they can complain about, but it gets the point across.

TTOG: Wow you must think you're the Queen of England or something. You come in to return a pair of Wrangler jeans without a receipt, expecting a full refund. The jeans had already been salvaged out so I told you you would be getting 5.98 back.

You're generous. I don't allow salvaged items to be returned without a receipt.

TTOG: if you reach over the register to try to touch my shoulder, and I move away, that does not mean keep trying to touch me. Learn how to read body language and keep your hands off of me. I don't care if it's meant to be a "hey thanks buddy" kind of touch, don't touch me while I'm working, you're old enough to be my parent or grandparent and moving should have made it clear I was not comfortable being touched.

FFS, people, DON'T TOUCH STRANGERS UNLESS YOU'RE PULLING THEM OUT OF A BURNING VEHICLE OR THEY STOPPED BREATHING AND YOU KNOW CPR.

I don't get why this is so difficult for some people to grok. You shouldn't need to give any indication you don't want to be touched, because PEOPLE SHOULDN'T BE TOUCHING STRANGERS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

TTOG: “I can ring 5 additional items” means “5 additional items.” Not 6, not 7, and most certainly not 12! Yes, I’m serious, and no, I’m not joking. I’m sure you can hear the damn phone announcing the “2 pharmacy calls,” even though you can’t see the 7 rxs I have to type, which are about to go overdue. You KNOW I’m back here alone, so walk your lazy ass up front since you’ll have to go there anyway to have the spider wrap removed from your Sonicare!

TTOG: ......no, i'm not going to take 15% off your bag of fertilizer because it's 15% off at Home Depot. even at Home Depot's 15% off price, ours is still cheaper! you wanted me to just take 15% off our price? no, that's not how that works. sorry. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Plus we don’t match any price that says % off

Guest: this doesn’t have a barcode. How much is it?
Me: *types in DPCI* it’s $14.99.
Guest: oh. Is it on sale?
Me: no, full price.
Guest: how do you know?
Me: because it’s ringing up full price.
Guest: do you have any coupons I can use?
Me: no I don’t.
Guest: can I get a discount on it?
Me: why?
Guest: because there’s no tag.
Me: no, there’s no damage to the item itself.
Guest: okay. Well I’m paying with cash but I still want my 15%.
Me: 15% for what?
Guest: I have a red card.
Me: the red card discount is only 5%. And you have to use your card to get the discount.
Guest: but I want to pay with cash.
Me: then you can’t get the discount.
Guest: but I’m a card holder.
Me: you have to actually use it though.
Guest: are you sure?
Me: yes.
Guest: okay.

Like omg she was perfectly nice and polite but this entire interaction was so stupid lol

Back