To That One Guest - II

I think that's a no no. Either @FlowTeamChick has enough allies at the store to survive the work politics of a complaint or had judged the guest's compliance well before making a stand.
In my state, businesses can get fined for non-compliance. (Individuals can too, but it's more likely the business would get dinged.) We've had a super-spreader event in a nearby town, and our governor has been one of the more aggressive with implementing mitigation methods when we were hit pretty hard back in April. There have also been at least two incidents that turned violent, but not recently (in the state, not at my store).
I'm polite about it, usually phrasing it as a question: "Would you mind please wearing your mask all the way?" or "Would you mind keeping your nose covered too, please?" The conversation I provided here was because the guest raised an objection, but wasn't belligerent about it. I use my nice words, not what I'd really like to say. And I don't actually follow them around the store to make sure they behave. ;-)

Are we allowed to tell guests to pull their masks up? I'd sure like to. We were told not to approach guests without them because they don't want altercations but weren't given specifics on the ones not wearing them correctly.
Our style peeps were told they can't tell people not to try things on cause"it embarrassed the guest"
So i imagine same logic applies.

Had a visit today and I was one of the TMs interviewed. After I was asked lots of questions - and, I hope, answered well enough to pass muster - I was asked if there was anything they could do to make my job better. I said that everyone wearing masks properly would make my job way better, intending it to be taken more jokingly than not. But! My SD spoke right up and said that we can certainly ask guests to do so, with my TL and ETL standing there along with the exec (DTL? I don't know their title).
So, I take that as being given full permission to politely request that guests (and TMs for that matter) wear their masks as they should be worn.

TTOG: So I'm walking back into shoe area and notice a guest is wearing a Knox Rose dress cause I see the tag hanging in the back. She's turning so, I assume, her older daughter can check it out. I simply said, even nicely, I might add, you are not suppose to be trying clothes on. The guest says oh I'm going to buy it. I said ok. I turned away and one of them says, well they should have a sign. REALLY! I looked at them and said clearly you know the fitting room is closed or you would be in there. If you can't try clothes on in the fitting room, you certainly can't try clothes on, on the floor. The younger one says you could be nicer about it. I said, this is me being nice. I walked away. Girl bye

TTOG: So I'm walking back into shoe area and notice a guest is wearing a Knox Rose dress cause I see the tag hanging in the back. She's turning so, I assume, her older daughter can check it out. I simply said, even nicely, I might add, you are not suppose to be trying clothes on. The guest says oh I'm going to buy it. I said ok. I turned away and one of them says, well they should have a sign. REALLY! I looked at them and said clearly you know the fitting room is closed or you would be in there. If you can't try clothes on in the fitting room, you certainly can't try clothes on, on the floor. The younger one says you could be nicer about it. I said, this is me being nice. I walked away. Girl bye
You could always offer a free ride in the baler

"Will you please stop interrupting, can't you see I am having a conversation with this guest? When I am finished I will be able to assist you, thank you." Do it firmly and professionally, shame the asshole.

TTOG: I'll give you some points for telling me that you took out a bunch of blankets, but I couldn't quite hide my dismay when you mentioned the weighted blanket and showed me the $109 K-size linen quilt that was completely pulled out and would need to be defected.

"They're hard to get back in the packaging."

"yeah...yeah I know"

I don't entirely understand why you needed to fully remove the blankets from their packaging to determine whether they would be dog friendly or not, as you can feel the material just fine in the packaging, but whatever.

Guest: This shirt is an XL (crop top), but I think it will fit me even though my I am a small...I know the fitting room is closed, but I would like to try it on. do you think I can try it on?

TTOG (Voice in my head: this guest wants to try it on knowing the fitting room is closed. does she think asking for my permission for her to try it on will make her an exception...and seriously if you are asking me this “obvious question”, it really means you shouldn’t try it on)

Me: You can purchase it and try it at home. If it doesn’t fit, you can return it (insert big smiley face)

TTOG: You walked up as I was filling my impulse snack display. I greeted you & asked what I could fix for you ask I put the boxes aside & began walking around the bar.
You said nothing, waiting until I'd walked around to the register & logged on.
Then you changed your drink several times (hot, cold, size) causing me to toss several marked-up cups, couldn't decide between a sandwich or pastry before finally saying "Never mind" & walking off.
If I didn't know better I swear I was being pranked.

It was an interesting weekend:

TTOG: Thanks for being super cool when you realized you left your purse at home and thus couldn't buy your groceries. I offered to hold them for you, but you politely said no because you lived 45 minutes from the store. You then apologized profusely for the inconvenience.

Kudos to you! Normally, people go full-on Karen mode with me when that happens.

TTOG#2 True that food and clothing don't have tax in our state. Unfortunately for you, a decorative pillow and a throw blanket are not considered clothing, even though you tried to convince me it was. After a few minutes of talking it out (and me smiling through my growing annoyance), you still weren't having it, so I finally sent you to the desk because I couldn't deal with idiocy anymore.

Last edited:
To the two guests: I'm sorry that we didn't have enough cashiers but my ETL told me to only stay until 12:30 PM and I already had my light off when you came wandering over to my lane. If I took you, I'm sure there would have been more guests waiting in line complaining about why I didn't take them since they had been waiting as well.

TTOG: I can't wait for the 'newbie' look to wear off me so you don't think I'm dumb enough to pricematch a 'Only available at Target' stickered box to something not even remotely the same on Walmart. Or a baby item retailing at $40 for $5 from some ebay seller. Also yes, I the "you look new call a manager" baby child will be HAPPY to call my TL and desperately try to not look smug as she backs me up.

TTOG: I don’t know who spilled what seemed to be an entire box of M&Ms in seasonal, but I coincidentally found them on the floor right after I told a group of teenagers they can’t try on costume masks (this SOB actually took off their fabric mask to try on a peacock head mask). If this was the same person, please, come over to the guillotine.

To the one guest: Why would you try to ticket-switch at a register? If you wanted to try, self-checkout is probably easier to get away with it, isn't it? I just don't understand the logic and what you were thinking if you thought you could trick a cashier that a large toy would come up as $0.79 or whatever the price was.

Back