To that one guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to figure out an 'acceptable' way to just have someone knock on the subject's fitting room door midconcealment. Uh ma'am ... this is target security ... is everything ok in there?
Honestly, you are not supposed to. Multiple AP personnel have told me that unless we (they) see the concealment they can't do anything about it. They still want to know about my suspicions of concealment, or if I find tags because usually if they do it in the fitting room they will do it on the floor in sight of the cameras.

Well yeah I know you're not supposed to because of concealment as a step in the process .... but if i'm more interested in not taking the loss than in getting an external app, i think knock-knock wouldn't hurt in awkwardly generating a pmr. ... although it could only be done in mega obvious situations ..... big ass empty purse, fast selections without concern for price tag, huge arm load of stuff going in .... that sorta thing.

imho they give ap just enough rope to hang themselves with and expect us to go lasso a steer.

I've had AP have me watch people who brought lots and lots of clothes to the fitting room....they aren't usually the ones that need watching. It's the few item ladies usually. And honestly if the FRO is doing their job properly there is going to be minimal pilferage at the FR. It will still happen but it doesn't happen often on my watch. I had two tonight....the fist ones who came out after my break had a tag in the pocket of a pair of shorts they tried on. I informed our AP about it and they watched them the rest of the time in the store. The second was somebody who said , "I have 6 items." Did my usual....got to check and count myself, sorry schtick. She had 4 panties and 15 items....only got to take 6 items in at a time...left the underwear on the shelf and didn't take it with her when she left. I count that as a pilferage thwarted.

I never count them the way we're supposed to, but I still haven't had much theft go on... or the really clever thieves come when I'm there. When I was new, some lady with clothes folded over her arm took in a genie bra box and I didn't know. Then she came back and dropped everything on the table. I dumped it in the cart and didn't realize until later that only one bra was in the box. I was naive. Idk why they don't just steal on the floor. It's not like someone's watching all million cameras at once... and there's 4 people working in the whole store.

Most of our clothing-related theft happens from people putting tags on items that aren't even Target brands and returning them. I don't understand how/why it happens. Sometimes the colors and descriptions on the tag don't even match the items.

If a recall or street date item is brought to my attention as a GSA, my absolutely highest priority becomes personally finding the item and pulling it off the shelf and getting it defected out. Because I find if I don't (and even at times when I do) it will not fail that another one will be brought up within an hour or two and then I get to get yelled at again.

Over the weekend, there was a Disney Infinity product that was out, and was street dated. Since it was only in the PDA as "video games" for the location, I had to consult with the electronics TM to figure out where it was. He told me he had just zoned it, knew exactly where it was and would take care of it. Later that day, another one came through the lines. That was my own mistake for not personally pulling the product off the shelf.
I had put some those figures out, by mistake too. They're not in the box. I did remove them all after gs told me about the street date on them. Sorry folks! I was covering electronics for a tm break.

I'm trying to figure out an 'acceptable' way to just have someone knock on the subject's fitting room door midconcealment. Uh ma'am ... this is target security ... is everything ok in there?

AP - *Flashes TPS Badge* I'm sorry to bother you, but, our fitting room attendant, noticed you came out with less items, than you entered with, and they could not be found in the room. You're not in trouble or anything, but, we do need to get the concealed merchandise back.

If they refuse, mention that you'll unfortunately be forced to call the police, and press felony shoplifting charges. They should hand it over, and which, afterwards, you should nicely ask them to leave the store at this time, and issue a trespass notice.

I think that approach might be a _tad_ too aggressive for the volume of sales associated with my store. Maybe one day I'll be located at a higher risk location, then i'll be all over that.
Everyone ... including the ETL-AP, is too caught up in this 'say yes to the dress' nonsense after the credit-breach.

Her cart looked like a giant cart of unsorted laundry. It's definitely possible she snuck some little stuff in, though, like jewelry or something. I'm terrible at detecting that stuff getting through. So terrible.

If you feel like there up to something, just shake out everything. Sometimes, you'll get lucky, and airbuds, or dvds, or other things just, magically fall into the floor. They get really embarrassed by this, and usually leave quickly.

Once we get the lousy SL team back on board with having a FRO (Fitting Room Operator) there most of the time, i'm gonna train them to take-count-confirm cuz ... our shortage indicator is atrocious.

When I worked in the grocery store a guy stuffed a five pound package of fresh prawns down his pants and was heading out the door.
The store didn't have AP so one of the Assistant Managers walked over and very sweetly offered him a basket to carry the shrimp.
He freaked, made a run for the exit and slammed into the door because it didn't open fast enough, falling over in the entryway.

When they stopped laughing, two guys from the produce department came and sat on him until the police arrived.

Last edited:
When I worked in the grocery store a guy stuffed a five pound package of fresh prawns down his pants and was heading out the door.
The store didn't have AP so one of the Assistant Managers walked over and very sweetly offered him a basket to carry the shrimp.
He freaked, made a run for the exit and slammed into the door because it didn't open fast enough, falling over in the entryway.

When they stopped laughing, two guys from the produce department came and sat on him until the police arrived.
ok now that's funny right there

[/quote]ok now that's funny right there[/quote]

OK, now why do I hear that in Larry the Cable Guy's voice?

Had a guest come up with a new release BluRay & asked if it was XX price. When I did an inquiry, it came up $10 more. She argued about it being in the same spot as the reg DVD (it wasn't). After the ETL approved a price adjustment (against my better judgment), I started to ring it up & discovered it was street date locked so she wasted a good haggle for nuthin'. lol

If they come out with less than they went in with, I just say "hey, seems you're missing a couple things?" or "did you leave anything in the fitting room?" They go in, take it off, and pretend it was a mistake.

We got a new ap etl last year-ish and she isn't strict about it like the old guy (he was promoted), so no one takes fitting room seriously anymore. We don't have all the number cards, old guy used to print out sheets that were used as a log to record FR checks and such and we don't have that. They've been telling us if it's not busy to just do reshop and such. We don't get break coverage unless it's a weekend or just really busy. It's all so lax now.

Had a guest come up with a new release BluRay & asked if it was XX price. When I did an inquiry, it came up $10 more. She argued about it being in the same spot as the reg DVD (it wasn't). After the ETL approved a price adjustment (against my better judgment), I started to ring it up & discovered it was street date locked so she wasted a good haggle for nuthin'. lol

BAHAHAHA. Serves her right.

To all those guests who come up, place your order, then swipe your card while I'm still writing your cup:
WTF are you doing?! I haven't even rung your drink up yet!! I end up telling you to swipe AGAIN as a result & you ALWAYS say "Oops! Guess I jumped the gun, eh?"
Morons.

To the TM at Starbucks: I understand real coffee nuts aren't something you run across that often but yes, I wanted two shots of espresso in a small cup and a six shot venti mocha.
I don't know why that is so confusing.
Just let me shotgun the two while I'm waiting for you to make the other one.
I've got a caffeine headache and you're not helping.

(Just realized I posted this in the wrong thread, it was supposed to go in TM thread)

Last edited:
To all those guests who make the joke about all the snow outside, our lack of gloves, etc. and the gazillions of racks of swimsuits.. and now spring/summer clothing, I've heard them all before. Alll of em. Spring break is coming and juust like the gloves were out when you could still go outside in a hoodie/light jacket, swimsuits are out now. Now stoppppp it. I'm sick of having that conversation and giving that same fake laugh.

our guests aren't making jokes...their mad!! And I am tired of saying "I'm Sorry," Because I'm not. We are on our 4th or 5th possible HUGE storm (all but one has been a dud). One lady pissed and moaned because "it's the middle of winter"....god, I hope not!! that would put us with winter in June!!

to the guests who seem to be acting extremely out of character and actually shopping cleanly....THANK YOU!!! We had 3 people all day in softlines and it still looked fairly decent, zone wise.

our guests aren't making jokes...their mad!! And I am tired of saying "I'm Sorry," Because I'm not. We are on our 4th or 5th possible HUGE storm (all but one has been a dud). One lady pissed and moaned because "it's the middle of winter"....god, I hope not!! that would put us with winter in June!!

One of the coolest softlines people ever would look at guest like that and ever so coolly say "Well, then you should have bought them in August when they came."
She could get away it being French, black and beautiful.
The accent and the smile just made the stab a little less painful.
Or if not less painful, given in such a way that they didn't know how to respond.

Oh and you can suggest they try 5 Below (like a dollar store only $5) for gloves and hats if they have those in your area.
For some reason, they still have stock.

we have one (5 Below...I love it) across the street....it's sold out too. I suggested 7-11, because I had seen them in there last week :).

Haha, our guests are mad, they're just covering it up, sorta. You know how some people joke about things even though they're annoyed/angry about it? It's that. I can hear the hint of contempt in their voices, but when they come to me about not being able to find gloves, they frame it like a joke. I'm happy most of them are doing that and not yelling at me, though.

I don't understand it. Everyone knows winter starts around the same time every year... why don't they buy their gloves in advance!? And they come in/call juuust before/during every snowstorm looking for salt, gloves, boots, snow pants. I've gotten to a point where I find it hard to hold back my laughter and sideeye when they ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back