To that one guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
My policy's always been over $20 I call my GSTL over. Yeah, next time I'm gonna have to think more on my toes instead of arguing and making life easier for me. I didn't maintain my stance that well and I'm upset I didn't now.

I work all weekend and knowing how today went, I bet it'll be a bit of a replay of today. We'll see. In the heat of the moment I forgot about words such as "policy" and "It's gonna make me ask for a supervisor"
yes, i know it's hard for me to remember as well. you can put like a small S on your hand to remind you to ask for a supervisor (if that sort of thing would be helpful for you). or like whenever you login to assist mode and see that blue screen, remind yourself-- why am i looking at the blue screen? is it something my GSTL should look at?

As a cashier, am I allowed to refuse? It was super fishy, an RC car that rang up for $79.99 and these two guys gave me three different prices that it is "supposed to be.". One guy says $39.99, other guy said $29.99. I said "wow, that's a pretty big difference, do you mind if I call a manager over to approve this?" and of course, they declined, stating "they had to meet the kids at the bus" and I'm like "fucking great." and at this point they're being super passive aggressive with me as I'm leaning towards just going to grab my GSTL anyways because this is wrong on so many levels, but they just wouldn't LET ME. Physically wouldn't let me. We exchanged a few words back and forth and I said "Okay,

You gotta have more backbone in that situation. A discount that big your AP will probably want to have a chat with you...

You gotta have more backbone in that situation. A discount that big your AP will probably want to have a chat with you...

Yeah nothing good is gonna come out of this lol next time though I'm seriously not putting up with anyone's crap. Just sick of it at this point. It really helped to vent and I realize this is mostly my fault, the guest can't be held liable after this point, and all responsibility goes towards me.

I'll admit it if anyone talks to me, and promise I'll do my due diligence to be more proactive in merch protection at the lanes, I'll take the strike or corrective action as the consequence and learn from it. From this day forward my back bone is stronger, and I'm not gonna let anyone make me kiss their ass.

Writing an S might be productive in reminding me to get a supervisor. I'm kind of embarrassed after doing cashier for a little more than a year I still struggle with this kind of stuff lol. It was just at the wrong time where no one let me have a walkie after it was made known I'm SCO and "cashiers can't get equipment" and I understand that but it's a bit different at SCO. I hate it when cashiers go on a check lane with equipment that, frankly, they don't need. But at my store my GSTLs and GSA commonly forget about everyone at SCO and when we don't get walkies or mydevices, it's hard to communicate.

SCO cashier at our store ALWAYS gets a walkie because of that & other scenarios.
Next time you're assigned there, sign out a walkie & if they ask, tell 'em it's so you can CYA.

Well, it happened again. I got bullied into giving someone a huge ass discount at Self checkouts today.

As a cashier, am I allowed to refuse? It was super fishy, an RC car that rang up for $79.99 and these two guys gave me three different prices that it is "supposed to be.". One guy says $39.99, other guy said $29.99. I said "wow, that's a pretty big difference, do you mind if I call a manager over to approve this?" and of course, they declined, stating "they had to meet the kids at the bus" and I'm like "fucking great." and at this point they're being super passive aggressive with me as I'm leaning towards just going to grab my GSTL anyways because this is wrong on so many levels, but they just wouldn't LET ME. Physically wouldn't let me. We exchanged a few words back and forth and I said "Okay,

So I just discount it to $39.99, and the other guy chimes in "NOO NOO NOO NO !! it was suppose to be $31.92." and I was THIS close to demanding that they give me a straight answer here. I'm fuming, I give no more shits, I change it, congratulate them on their huge discount, and walk away. I'm infuriated, I hate how no one lets me grab a walkie for running SCO, so if I need a GSTL I better pray they see the blinking light I have to flip onto the nearest open lane.

I'm all alone in these kinds of situations, and I have no idea what my limitations are. I'm never handed a MyDevice either, so even if I need a simple thing like a DPCI or a Price Check, I need to somehow get my GSTL to notice me. Takes at least 5 minutes every time and no one leaves happy.

Also doesn't help today the entire fricking middle school thought Target was the place to be after school. Poor starbucks ladies... a full hour and a half of nothing but a shit ton of middle schoolers and a massive line that never seems to go down...

YES! You are allowed to refuse, politely of course. You can make a discount for visible damage (5% or 10%, depending on damage) and you can knock a few bucks off, but you do not have to stand there and be harassed and bullied.

You do not have to ask their permission to call over a GSA or LOD to do a price check, that's part of your job and them bullying you into not doing your job means you need to stand tall and be confident. If they want more than 10 bucks discounted, turn on your light.

Sounds like they were full of shit and trying to scam you. I don't care if they had Jesus at the bus, too fucking bad. People in a hurry because they did not allocate enough time to shop get no sympathy from me.

And if they were PHYSICALLY impeding you from doing your job, turn on your light, suspend, void, walk away, whatever. They have NO RIGHT to fuck with you like that.

Just because we're in a service oriented industry does not mean we deserve to be treated like servants.

ETA: If you're not receiving assistance when you flash your lane light, talk to your GSTL about that. GSA's are supposed to be alert to that, so is SD. LOD's, other TM's and TL's are supposed to be alert. We're a team and work together so we should have each other's backs (in theory).

ETA: Actually, if they want a discount in a bullying, suspicious way, and it's under a buck, call your GSA. If it's easily verifiable, then I discount up to $10. I make decisions on my own a lot of times and have not been called into an office for it. You should probably rely in GSA until you get more comfortable with policy and standing up to bullies.

ETA: (many hours later) Uh, I think I was half asleep, some of this is incoherent.

Last edited:
To the one piece of shit mother with five kids who let them repeatedly grab produce bags to blow up and pop while she was looking at makeup:

1.) makeup isn't going to help you. You crossed the line of 'acceptable when not drunk' a very long time ago.

2.) I hope your kids strangle themselves with the bags.

To the one piece of shit mother with five kids who let them repeatedly grab produce bags to blow up and pop while she was looking at makeup:

1.) makeup isn't going to help you. You crossed the line of 'acceptable when not drunk' a very long time ago.

2.) I hope your kids strangle themselves with the bags.

Laughed out loud! Too funny

TToG: You cracked me up at the best possible moment today! LOL

Guest- "I don't know how they expect you to be able to put this bra on by yourself. Oh... but you're a guy. You're more on the side of removing them."

Me- "Well... I don't like to brag."

I'm all alone in these kinds of situations, and I have no idea what my limitations are. I'm never handed a MyDevice either, so even if I need a simple thing like a DPCI or a Price Check, I need to somehow get my GSTL to notice me. Takes at least 5 minutes every time and no one leaves happy.

I was told first day of training that the absolute limit is $20 off. And when I'm backup cashiering, I call for approval if it's more than just a few bucks, just to CYA.

Definitely get your hands on a walkie. Tell them that the delay in getting a supervisor to notice there's a problem at self checkout is creating guest complaints and that should be the magic words that will get you one.

One time on the sales floor something had the wrong price and it was a huge difference so I called the LOD. She told the guest that *she* wasn't authorized to drop it more than $20, so that rule must be set in stone somewhere.

TTOG: while i understand that it's frustrating that we ran out of giftcards for birthdays, you had time in line to look for the "perfect" card for your little boy but no your dumbass had to hold up my line to go to guest services to get one and you decided to TAKE YOUR SWEET ASS TIME walking back to my checklane. when you proceeded to apologize to me then to the other guests in line for holding me up, i was never given more satisfaction when the older man rolled his eyes at you and said, "miss you're not because only considerate people wouldve not waited until mid transaction to find their gift card". so thank you older dude for saying what we were all thinking

Ttog-

No I don't know why we don't carry boss/teacher appreciation cards. I can only let our vendor know. No the LOD won't be able to do anything other than tell the vendor. Sure Ill call them over to tell you the same exact thing.

TTOG: If you saw the teacher-themed giftcards last time you were at Starbucks, you should've gotten them then.
No, we aren't getting any more. #SorryNotSorry
TTOtherG: We don't put out giftcard envelopes because people like you were grabbing them for the cards you bought ELSEWHERE. It wouldn't be bad if you asked for one or two but NOOOOOOOOOO, you wanted a whole BOX!!!!
#AintHappenin

TTOG: Elizabeth gorl, get your shit together your mom is gonna beat your ass when you get home.

"you guys should make it so you don't have to scan the deals yourself on cartwheel!!"

said a rather irritated soccer mom today.

I have to agree. There is something to be said for the store that doesn't make people do extra shit to get the best price.

TTOG: while i understand that it's frustrating that we ran out of giftcards for birthdays, you had time in line to look for the "perfect" card for your little boy but no your dumbass had to hold up my line to go to guest services to get one and you decided to TAKE YOUR SWEET ASS TIME walking back to my checklane. when you proceeded to apologize to me then to the other guests in line for holding me up, i was never given more satisfaction when the older man rolled his eyes at you and said, "miss you're not because only considerate people would've not waited until mid transaction to find their gift card". so thank you older dude for saying what we were all thinking

Sometimes guests come up to me and say "and I'll get a gift card for 25 bucks for here" and I'm like Great, want to go pick one out. -_- (Of course I don't say that) Another thing, I don't know if htis is common but at least at my store, if we run out of little envelopes for Gift cards people freak the hell out and either get so mad and crazy or extremely disappointed. A fellow cashier had ran out in her lane and it seemed we all did and the guest thought we were lying so she went to Guest Service cause usually they have extras and got one, but instead of leaving she went to us and waved it at us smiling with a smug grin. Its like what the hell. just get the hell out of here.

I have to agree. There is something to be said for the store that doesn't make people do extra shit to get the best price.

It's not even that hard, just moms and old ladies who cannot use their phone and act surprised when other guests and even me get annoyed when they ask me to stop ringing them up so they can scan every single item. I had one guest come to SD and ask "SO it is our responsibility to scan the items before we go to the cashier?" Its like yes! What do you think? Want to hold up the line 10 minutes each time?? Or when people barley download the app in your line, so terrible!

Sometimes guests come up to me and say "and I'll get a gift card for 25 bucks for here" and I'm like Great, want to go pick one out. -_- (Of course I don't say that) Another thing, I don't know if htis is common but at least at my store, if we run out of little envelopes for Gift cards people freak the hell out and either get so mad and crazy or extremely disappointed. A fellow cashier had ran out in her lane and it seemed we all did and the guest thought we were lying so she went to Guest Service cause usually they have extras and got one, but instead of leaving she went to us and waved it at us smiling with a smug grin. Its like what the hell. just get the hell out of here.
This doesn't really happen at my store. We first off usually have the envelopes but most people don't remember until I offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back